here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

build a better bird workshop photos...

Get ready to see an AWESOME FLOCK that was created @ Scrapbook Friend'z in Bloomington, Illinois on Saturday.

Special thanks to CHERYL & APRILE for coming to the rescue & sending photos.
I forgot my camera...DUH!
Old age sucks!

Each of these started out as a generic wooden bird...then they were embellished with the goodies I brought.

First...the gals dug for treasures...in the goodie pile and chose bits & pieces that inspired them...
then...
they sanded the critters and applied distress inks...

They made custom embellishments using...

grungepaper and studio 490 stamps.

You'll also see some Maya Road pins...(those cool pearls and the leaves)...

Some chose to use foliage parts, from tim's idea-ology line...

Each one seemed to develop a personality as you'll see below...

Grab an iced tea...and click on each photo to get a better view.
I think you'll be amazed!

It's fun to see each person's TAKE on the charms...watch closely & you'll see some of the same pieces used different ways...

Jeanne is test driving her bird on a vintage pair of binoculars...

her hubby couldn't understand why she would BUY binoculars with broken lenses...

Silly man...
the answer is very SIMPLE...
to...

MAKE ART! ha!


funky flower as tail feathers




studio 490 leaves as tailfeathers...the possibilities are endless!











Sheila laughed when she gave her guy a sombrero looking hat...







the bow tie makes me laugh!



Aprile made this...



and she went home & immediately made another!











monochromatic...I LOVE IT!


studio 490 butterfly used as wings...



Ah...that was fun!
Please leave a comment & let the gals know what you think of their art...
*
Have a great day and as always...
I hope you've been inspired to...
*
make art!
wendy






15 comments:

Sharon Margiotta said...

Wow, ladies ... awesome birds! they just keep getting better and better! Great birds, great students, great teacher!!

slbt17 said...

these are great! I wish I had a tiny bit of the talent exhibited here!
Sandra

Chirpin Is Fun said...

I had such a great time making my bird! Wendy is an amazing teacher who allows creativity to flow. Everyone had access to the same supplies and look how different and complete each bird turned out. If you EVER get a chance to take a class from Wendy ... don't think ... just do it! I can't wait until the next time to .....
Make Art!

Debby said...

The birds are amazing. I so wanted to take that class but high school softball is still going on and my daughter's team is in the final 4 for Class Three A this weekend. I hope you teach this class again. Would love to take it.

Daisy said...

THOSE are FAAABULOUS! I want to come and take a birdy class someday. I love seeing everyone's creative mojo at work.

Linda M. Cain said...

WOW! You guys really outdid yourselves!!!!! Great fun, great students...what more could you ask for?????

Linda

Tamikko said...

Just beautiful! So inspiring. I've never tried anything like this and it looks like so much fun. Great job ladies!

Donna said...

I am gonna have to get my hands on one of those wooden birds. I would love to alter one! How fun it would be. Thanks for sharing. I would love to take a class from you. Someday I hope a class will cross my path. I live in MN. Any plans?

Michelle D in Oregon said...

Hey Wendy - do you think we'll be doing these funky birds on the October cruise? They look like lots of fun and I have a great spot in my studio to display my future project!

mdaschelatcomcastdotnet

Anonymous said...

I second that! I'll be on the cruise and I'd love to fly home with a bird. :)
Ladies, you all did amazing work and if my life depended on it, I couldn't pick a favorite.
Eileen in NYC

Paula said...

I'd love me a bird. I know how to do it up, too.

Margie Higuchi said...

Man! These are so cool!!! You need to do a kit! TFS!! xoxo

Kristi B. said...

they are all so cute! I want to make one. I think I may have all the supplies, so if I can find a birdie......thanks for all the inspiring ideas! :)

D's Paper Studio said...

These are outstanding. I want to do this again. Debby L

Rachel Greig said...

Love these birds!!!