here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

happy holidays ATC...

first...

the back...
Ranger's brand spanking new manila ATC...

my ATC stamp, used with coffee archival...

and the polka dots border is @ the top, stamped in jet black...


now this was different...

I had this little idea last year...
I tried it but didn't like the results...
so I trashed it...

but today...
I played & it worked!

this is an ATC I made using Claudine's sticky back canvas as a base...

I LOVE the natural...
it's precut & ready for action...
the backing is Ranger's new manila ATC...
they come in the original white too...



the tree is made from my scalloped corner stamp...

you'll need to stamp it 5 times on grungepaper with olive archival ink...

then cut out 2 full corners...
and cut the other 3 corners progressively smaller like in the photo below...

oh...
and use a scrap of grungeboard to cut the tree trunk (aka a portion of tim's alterations hardware findings die)...

ink the scallops with stormy sky on the front & ink all 5 with forest moss on the back...
then use jet black archival to stamp random backgrounds on the 5 pieces...

plan A was to have a polka dot tree...
like the original stamp ...
but plan B developed...
all by itself...

I actually liked the backs better with each layer having a different stamped background...

so...I went with plan B...

here's how to cut the scallops...


next take Claudine's sticky back ATC, remove the backing paper...
stick it to your craft sheet...

on a side note...
in the photo below you'll see that I have a small craft sheet on a clipboard...

someone cut into mine so I salvaged a section & it's actually quite handy, on a clipboard...
NEVER EVER CUT ON A CRAFT SHEET...
trust me, you won't be happy!

apply stormy sky & walnut stain distress inks right from the pad...
mist it with a bit of heirloom gold Perfect Pearls Mist and a few squirts of water from the mini mister...

I used my finger to blend the colors, then dried it with the heat-it tool...

it was too light, so I sprayed a small amount of sail boat blue color wash...
added a bit more water from the mini mister...
dried it again & I was satisfied...

it looked like this...


next...
stamp the script stamp with the gold paint dabber...
it takes just a bit of paint...
remember to clean your stamp...

then use Adirondack black pigment ink to stamp tim's row of stars @ the top & bottom of the ATC...

I lifted it off the craft sheet,
stuck it to the manila ATC, frayed the edges & then edged the ATC with the gold paint dabber...
(aka, my newest addiction)...

so now the ATC looks like this...



next, assemble the tree starting @ the bottom with the largest full corner...
the second layer is the same full corner...
then add the progressively 3 smaller layers...

form & shape the tree layers, I curved them up...

and from the side the tree looks like this...
what happened to the corners?

cool huh???


to make the tree trunk, emboss it with the woodgrain embossing folder...

ink with brushed corduroy, then ink just the raised areas with walnut stain on the blending tool...

add long fasteners to each of the holes...

tada...a unique tree trunk!

then...paint the grunge star with the gold paint dabber...
I learned @ Ranger U, that if you pounce the paint dabber it will create a cool texture...
(this only works with the metallic dabbers)
let dry...

I figured out that by rubbing the coffee archival pad over the dried texture, you can make it more vintage looking...
and coffee is the PERFECT color...

add a gingham bow to the tree trunk before gluing onto the ATC...

everything is held in place with Claudine's multi medium...
I like the matte...
the mini bottles are AWESOME & very convenient...

the word JOY is from tim's new salvage stickers, the seasonal ones...
just put them on black presentation board,
(framing dept @ HL)...

cut the individual letters, distress the edges with tim's sanding grip & add some walnut stain distress ink to the edges, with the blending tool...

add a little pen stitching around each letter...

add a grunge scrap under the O to raise it up...
then use multi medium to adhere everything to the tag...



it was fun to think out of the box...

making the tree was a blast...
especially since the idea worked...

this could easily be adapted to a card, if you aren't INTO ATC's...
it could be the main focus...

or it could even be an ornament for your tree...

it could be double sided, by adding the same 5 layers to the back of the tree...

try it...let me know how you do...

Mr. shipping & receiving said he wants to send more prize packages...

so...how about one for...

grandma m has left a new comment on your post "a color washed gift tag...":

Your tag is different and beautiful. Love it!!
PS
To my favorite artists....
Wendy and Tim ...Great minds think alike. Awesome reindeer tags, You too are geniuses when it comes to making ART.



Posted by grandma m to Studio 490 at December 6, 2010 7:45 PM

and one for...

Sherry Cheever has left a new comment on your post "a color washed gift tag...":

I absolutely LOVE this and especially the frame! TOO COOL!!!!!



Posted by Sherry Cheever to Studio 490 at December 6, 2010 8:56 PM

and another for...
Anonymous rhonda said...

Simply stunning enough said!

December 6, 2010 1:27 PM

send us your shipping info @ wbv1213@me.com

and both received their restock stamp orders yesterday...
just incase you NEED any rubber...

art parts were restocked yesterday too!

so if you want to leave your wish list laying around to be...
found...
guys like hints...

lots on the to-do list today...

I'm headed to the studio to...

make (book #4) art!
wendy

96 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this ATC card. The tree is absolutely darling and I love what you did to the sticky back canvas! So cool!!! Thanks so much for sharing the steps!

lesleyworth said...

gorgeous ATC! You and Tim have given me so many ideas for using the sticky back canvas! I've had it sitting on a shelf for ages, not sure what to do with it...but now...the ideas are flowing!

Helen said...

Love the ATC. I don't make enough of them, and really should do more... maybe after 12 Tags is done, cos I will be sad and in need of cheering up, lol. Thanks for a(nother) fantastic project.

slbt17 said...

WOW Wendy - this is amazing!
Thanks for walking us through it.
Love it!
Sandra

Hels Sheridan said...

Corrrrrr Blimey Wendy, this is ... Tree-mendously gorgeous (pardonez le pun - I am even speaking French in my excitement ROFL) Love the whole scalloped edge idea - I shall be borrowing this idea for my 986 cards I still have to make LOL THANK YOU for the inspiration xx

Elaine A said...

Oh my Wendy -

I am in love with this ATC! It is the sweetest thing ever. The tree is just gorgeous, I mean adorable gorgeous! I love mini things, and this ATC is just "da bomb"! Awesome way to think out of the box!
Congratulations to all of the winners!

Elaine Allen

Gerrie Johnnic said...

This is a wonderful idea, so glad it came together so you could share it with us, I can't wait to try it! I'm so excited...xx

Scrapthat said...

Very cool! TFS! Love the trunk!

Primitive Seasons said...

THe tree is a knockout Wendy! You are so creative. Great job!

Mary
www.primitiveseasons.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This tree is just adorable! And I love how you used one of T!m's hinges to make the tree trunk! Pure genious! Stephanie Rodgers

Art By Wanda said...

Lots on my to-do list also and now I MUST make a scalloped corner stamp tree... totally awesome!!!!

Dorothy said...

I love the tree!!!
Thanks Wendy!!

Unknown said...

You are one clever cookie The Wendy Vecchi ... Loving that tree ... a lot!!!

Anita Wells said...

OMG, this is absolutely gorgeous, I have 22 ATCs to make before the end of December, you have really inspired me to get on with them. Thank you for sharing. x

Shirley said...

Wendy, I LOVE this ATC! The tree and everything is so perfect. You are so creative. I will be making this for sure. Brilliant!

dblanken said...

I think this has to be a big favorite of mine now - I love the tree and I love to work on canvas - great job.

Larajc said...

I would never have thought to make a tree this way, but now you have given me the idea...photo corners will work just fine!

Unknown said...

i really like this! and i agree....it would made a spendid card ;) I think maybe i will do that! thanks for the inspiration ;)

Cim Allen said...

I love it, I think I'll make a tag for my MIL using this idea. Love it as always .. You rock Wendy!

TheLastOfNine said...

Cute and adorable!
Gloria

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful, just lovin' the tree!

Heidi said...

This is just so darn cute!! I agree, I really like the ATC's, but don't make them enough. Of course today I have plenty of time to do them...3 feet of snow outside, kids have a snow day, and no where to go...as you say, Make Art it is for the day!

Enjoy!

scrappin-scrappin said...

Wonderful ATC Wendy!! That tree is so cute, will have to try that one!! Between you and Tim I think I'm on inspiration overload!!! But love it!! Thank you!!

yoursartfully said...

That tree is simply genius!

Anonymous said...

I'm making this tree! So cute! I'm glad Christmas is not here yet because I'm going to send a couple of xmas cards out with the tree on them. Love the ATC! Thanks for sharing.

~* steph :) *~ said...

gorgeous gorgeous ATC, wendy! a lot of wonderful techniques and details packed in a tiny card. LOOOOVE it! thanks for sharing and have a great day! *hugs* steph :)

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Oh, do I LOVE this! The tree is fabulous and the trunk is just too cool.

BETTY said...

wow wendi I love all your work I made the tag and the box all ready.
thank you for sharing and for the inspiration.
hugs betty

Marijane said...

I love that tree!!! I want to make a couple of Christmas oval frames (like those we made last year in your class) to give for gifts and this tree is definitely going to be the focal point, the big "Ta-Da!" I've got all I need, but perhaps the time.

Juel said...

Oh my! A tree out of scallop circles.....LOVE IT!!

Erika M. said...

Visiting your site today and getting a chance to look at your awesome art today has brightened my day!

Betz61 said...

Love that this is ATC size too cool! Love how you made corners into a tree. Just have to find that sticky canvas.

Renee said...

The tag is just great!!!!! Does it need a home???? I'd be happy to adopt it my ATCs need a new friend!

Thanks for the time and the details!

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Oh, I most definitely will be lifting, no, borrowing, no, adapting, not really, oh let's just say STEALING your idea for scallop trees.
Brilliant, Wendy, just brilliant.
(Did I mention that I LOVE it?)
Eileen in NYC

SherrySue said...

so many inspirational ideas on this ATC! Perfect use of that idea! It certainly did work this time around...and sticky back canvas...so enjoying it as a new tool! Thank you for the smiles you bring with each project!

Artyjen said...

Love the 3 dimension of this ATC it's super
xoxo Sioux

Becky T. said...

I hate to repeat my self but.. I love it. love, love, love it. There, I said it. :-)

SusanK said...

Not enough different words to use. Just loving this ATC!!!!

Debby said...

Oh my gosh! Beautiful. These would be great on mini canvases with a gift card on back and ribbon so they can hang! Thanks you so much for this idea.

Mariannes gjenbruk said...

I love the ATC !!! Thanks for sharing some fun tecnichs ;-)

Liz in MO said...

Oh, that is so cute and easy. I may have my boys make some for teacher gifts! I also love the idea of attaching a piece of the craft sheet to a clipboard, I always lift mine up and move it and then can't find it, and THEN don't have a solid, open spot to put it down. This would solve that problem! Plus, you could hang it on a nail when you move it, so I would always know where it is (hum, yeah right! ) Love it. Thanks so much.

Karla Anderson said...

Love this ATC. IjJust tried your Clearly for art and it's amazing - I made some beautiful snowflakes. Thanks so much for your great products and inspiring projects!

Meme said...

TREE-MENDOUS!
AWESOME! This tree is so cute! I have seen them layered before, but you took it over the top!

I love ATC's! SO this was perfect!

Lesley said...

WOW!!!! This is just stinking cute!!! I'm grinning at the computer screen like an idiot! (thank god no-one can see me!))
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your amazing creativity.

Tona said...

Love this ATC. This is just total Wendy awesomeness!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Tracy Evans said...

Absolutely fabulous Wendy, the tree is so unique and what a wonderful idea to use the corner stamp, very creative. The recipient will definitely cherish this one. Have a lovely week. Tracy Evans x x

Kat said...

Another stuning piece of art here Wendy,
I love the tree,
I am going to use this idea for my xmas cards,
(if I start now I may have them all done in time for xmas 2011 lol)
thanks for the inspiration
Kat.

sue said...

The tree is so cute! I am thinking of some cool ideas. Thanks for the tips.

Soraya said...

Wow... this tree ATC is just fantastic! Great technique, thanks for sharing!

JILL said...

WOW, loving the atc!! You are thinking outside the box again!! Now it is official....you are my very favorite artist! Thanks, Wendy, for the inspiration....

rhonda said...

Love the tree on this card! and I agree with grandma m you and t!m are truly the best!

Pat said...

When you said this could be used as a tree ornament my mind jumped (further out of the box!) I made two corner trees and glued them back to back, first wrapping thin ribbon around the 'top' end of the hinge - PERFECT tree ornament!! Thanks for the jump start today Wendy!

Stacie (craft-princess) said...

So cool! I'm going to order some of that Sticky Back Canvas!!

Marilyn L. said...

Love the tree - who would have thought!!! Only YOU! Can't wait to go down to my studio to try the tree. I'm going to make it on a tag for a gift.

Larissa Heskett said...

Oh Wendy!! You always AMAZE me!! =)
Your ART just makes me HAPPY!! Thanks so much for the info and I REALLY CAN'T WAIT FOR BOOK #4!! YEAH, more AWESOME ART!! HAVE A FABULOUS DAY!! =D
P.S. CONGRATS YOU LUCKY WINNERS!!

gayle said...

Outstanding!! Loving the 3D tree!!

Unknown said...

I love this and think I might use this idea for a gift tag! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jacki said...

This tree is so cute - and so you, Wendy! I love EVERYTHING that you create! We are so lucky you create ART and share it with all of us! Thank you. :)

Unknown said...

This atc is just wonderful - I can't wait to try some of your techniques.
hugs,
Gini

Kim C. said...

I love the tree, how cool is that. The canvas is pretty neat too.

grandma m said...

Just fantatic! Love that christmas tree. It's so awesome. I can put the tree back to back and use them with Tim's townscape tealight for the center piece on the table. Great! Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

this has to be the sweetest ATC I have seen! awesome tree!luv the tut! very clear I can copy it LOLOL>..sorry...just love your ideas girly! ty so much!
cher

Lori said...

Absolutely adorable! Love everything about this!

Tara Carpenter said...

I got several of the sticky back ATC when I was on the cruise with Tim H. I love them. I love the tree. I can't wait to try out the tree idea. Hope you don't mind me steal the idea from you but the tree is incredible!!!! I have to use it!!!! Thanks for the inspiration as usual it is incredible.

Linda R said...

A hinge strap for a tree trunk?? I think Ranger puts something in the water when you guys are there!

Can I come and fill a thermos or two? LOL

REAL excited about new background stamps (Rick can you slip me a couple) and new book. Isn't life exciting?

Thanks Wendy, as always you astound me.

carpediem said...

just love the ATC, especially the sticky back tree!

Etta said...

hehehe..."stinkin' cute!!!" Love this ATC. It makes me smile!

Linda Kay said...

Really cool tree! I can't imagine why it didn't work before...it sure is great now. I love all the tips and tricks you throw in!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing Wendy!

Holly said...

Fabulous ATC! I really love the tree! Thanks for the awesome instructions and inspiration!!

Julie said...

Whoa! You've out done yourself in thinking outside the box on this one. Who would have thought to use the scalloped corner stamp as a tree!!!! Hello!! No one!! No one except you and someone like Tim Holtz. Wow! That's all I can say! Double Wow!!

funkycrafter said...

the tree is adorable. you must be staying up many hours a day to get all this done. but when it looks this good who needs sleep!

Kim said...

Very cool tree!! Another amazing out of the box idea:) I love the background on the canvas too!! Thanks once again for the creative brain boost!!

Angie Lentz said...

Now that's an ATC I would LOOOVE to get!!

Penci said...

How clever! I love how you have been sharing so many wonderful creations with us. I love them all and have been trying all of them. So exciting when you share....thank you, thank you, thank you!

Vic said...

I will be trying this very soon!

jill j said...

Well, the scallop tree is adorable and the whole project just ROCKS! I also love the idea of using a clip board....you are just full of wisdom.....must try to re-create the ATC! Thanks!!!!!

Wendy Dicranian said...

Love the technique for the tree. I enjoy the alternative uses you come up with to guide us in thinking outside the box. Thank-you.

Loki Made It said...

i sent my hubby and brother a wishlist from simon says stamps but thry still did not get the hint! a lost cause i think!!!!!

Vicki in MD said...

I love how you can first make a stamp and then deconstruct it to make something totally and fabulously unexpected. This ATC is amazing. I picked up some sticky back canvas a while back and it's just been sitting on a shelf. thanks for sharing all the awesome ideas!

jan metcalf said...

You are rocking the trees Wendy! Love them all! Am using a tree on my Xmas cards this year, however they do not compare to your works of art!!

Karen Goulet said...

I made this comment out loud to myself when I saw this atc..and so now here it is in writing...
ahhhhh...that is so adorable!
I love the techniques and the ingenious idea for making the tree. Wendy...You rock!

coRinne not connie said...

i lurve ATC's - your's is simply stunning - so much so - i'm going to have to lift it...so THANKS!

now - to find matte medium in northern canada... may have to do some online shopping!

Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Sharon Secor said...

This is really really cute - you are so talented and clever and thanks for sharing!!

Ava Gavloski said...

that tree looks really cute and something I could make.
ava
cottagerca

Kathy Eddy said...

This is just adorable Wendy. Love that canvas and how clever to use your scallop to make a tree!

Cassie_lu said...

i love the look you created with the canvas. I've got some and have been afraid of playing with it. Looks like I may just need to now :)

KAT said...

Sigh - you can do wonders with sticky back canvas and your fabulous rubber!!! Love the cute ATC!

Joyce said...

This is just a fabulous project! I like it when you take it and use it for something other than what it was intended for. I've always been a strong believer in thinking of multiple uses for a stamp or other product before buying. You are tops in thinking outside the box. Thanks again!

ellen vargo designs said...

Hey Wendy! LOVE the ATC - the hinge as a tree trunk - love it! The more I look at that hinge the more things it could be! Hope you have an awesome holiday season! Can't wait to see the new stuff in January!

2amscrapper said...

You always tell us to look at things in a different way--find a unique use for something--this tree from your corner stamp is brilliant!

Anonymous said...

So impressive! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity.

Kathy Smith

Kristin said...

I love ATC's, like to share but not sure of where to go and do that!

Nan G said...

this is just too COOL! Have to give it a try on a card or maybe I'll break into the ATC world. Why not?! Boy, I love Sherry Cheever but your work is even COOLER!!!! luv luv it! THANK YOU for inspiring.

Gisela said...

WOW, 93 comments!! Great card, soooo creative. Totally LOVE it!

Dorothy said...

Fantastic!!!

Lisa H said...

well, I AM seriously into ATCs and I just love this Wendy. =) Merry Christmas! love the craft mat on a clipboard idea too. That would be handy!