here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Thursday, March 24, 2016

doilies, dots and...


meet my newest addiction...
cheapo paper doilies...

this started as a #8 tag that I cut down 
to 5 ½ inches tall...
if you haven't tried cutting off ¾ of an inch, 
you'll be surprised at how it changes
 the proportions of the tag...

I used watering can & sunflower archival sprays to add the first layer to the background...
(archival reinkers mixed into rubbing alcohol in a mister)...

I added the paper doily with 
then decided to add the crazing medium to several spots...
I tried making it a little thicker, to add a bit of texture...
I'll show close ups below...

to alter the stark white doily, 
I scribbled over it with 
pressing the color into the doily recesses, where you would expect some darker color...
then with a moist paper towel, I lightly wiped over the top of doily to lighten the color...

my sentiment was stamped with
the leaves were stenciled with

the white mat mini heart was inked with
then stamped with this stripes stamp,
 using jet black...

has a sheet of white hearts & a sheet of black hearts for a total of 42 hearts...
they come in lots of shapes & sizes to fit any project...
the white hearts allow ink to be used & I LOVE the black used plain or with embossing powder or embossing paste...

the bow was stamped on a scrap of
cut out, 
inked with red geranium &
 stamped with the polka dot background stamp, using jet black...
it's attached with

to define the doily border & 
add some shading, I used 
wiped away the excess from the background with a moist paper towel, leaving the color close to the doily edge...

look closely & you'll see random vintage text stamped, using watering can archival...

the lace border is stamped at the top 

vertically along the left side 
of the storage sheet...

you'll see I used the old ledger stencil
on the left side, with watering can archival...

on the right I used new the lots of dots stencil
once that was dry, 
I added tiny white dots over the red geranium, using Dy's new white paint pen...
it works very well!

those white dots made a big impact on the red dots...
now we have...

double dots!

I used the tarnished brass paint dabber to edge the whole tag...
it's an easy, but effective finishing touch...

along the center of the doily &
 that's it!



this shows that using the collage brush adds another texture to the background...
vary the direction of the brush strokes for more detail...
I like that you can create a linen-ish background...

actually makes the doily look 
embedded into the tag...
it's almost an encaustic effect...


this one shows the thick drop of
and accented with 
COOL STUFF!


and there's the smaller crazing medium 
spot I added...
loving the crazing effect...
and that it does NOT chip off
 if the tag is flexed...

this photo shows the "double dots" 

you'll be seeing lots more double dots...
I like them!



the background is flat...
but it has lots of stamped/stenciled layers 
to make it interesting...

there's LOTS on the TO-DO list today...


BUT...

I'd rather...

 make art!
wendy
don't miss it!
if you're not seeing my posts there, 
I'm told if you go to the page & LIKE,
 then hover over the little arrow to turn ON notifications...
that helps!

11 comments:

Wilma said...

O wow Wendy you did it again. A great and so beautiful tag. Love love love it and have to try it myself!

Debby said...

Very pretty! Lots to do here too. Have to grocery shop but then since it is raining have to make some art. May have to shop too for some new mediums!

Jenny Marples said...

That texture, the doilies, all that luscious stamping - LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Thank you for continuing to share your creative genius x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Wendy. I love the doily and the shading around the edges. Lovely design too and the crazing is gorgeous as are the colours. Tracy x

Redanne said...

The treatment you gave to the doily is wonderful, I love the little bits of crackle here and there. The design is beautiful too! Hugs, Anne xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Wonderful in every way...love cheapo!!!!

Scrapthat said...

woohoo! Love it Wendy...it's just so PURDY! TFS

Sue said...

Absotivley gorgous! I LOVE the Crazing Medium!

Rea' said...

Those layers are amazing , and the colors ( you know I always like your color choices) yummy !

Unknown said...

Loved the tag!!especially liked the embedded doily��

Dorothy said...

Stunning!!!!!