here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I AM an artist...

good morning!

first order of duty is to thank everyone who took my Ranger Inks, studio 490 style marathon workshop last Saturday...
it's 6 hours of pure inky fun...

The Scrapbooking Studio in Moline, Illinois is a shoppers paradise...
WOW...
it was LOADED with wonderful products you need to...
make art...

we had a great fun TALENTED group of 36 gals...
lots of space to spread out...
LOTS of inks to play with...
pizza for lunch...

treats for energy...
a birthday cake to celebrate a birthday...

thanks to everyone who came from all over Illinois, Iowa & even Indiana...
thanks for all your sweet comments...
believe me...I had fun too!

Rick even made a guest appearance!
I had been sick all week, so he drove me there & helped with set up & packing @ the end of the day...
gotta LOVE a hubby who *gets* what I do...

NEXT...

a few days ago, I showed the cover of an art parts journal that I started...

here's a page, also made from a small creative cover...

take note of her stylish (freaky) eyelashes...
no I wasn't drinking...
I just thought the mini crown turned upside down & trimmed a bit could work as eyelashes...

the small manila tag was inked with tim's new antique linen distress stain...
then distressed with walnut stain distress ink & the blending tool...
I added some machine stitching...

the ticking background stamp was inked with the new AWESOME french ultramarine...
I WILL be using this color lots...I LOVE IT!

the creative cover was inked with weathered wood distress stain...& the script was stamped with french ultramarine archival...
I *told* you I LOVE it...


moving back a bit...

I made a tag swatch so that I could show the new archival colors @ my workshop on Saturday...

I like to do this when we get new colors...
I'll refer to it until I'm sure what each color will look like...
I do this until I've used them a few times & I KNOW them well...


for this journal page I used 3 of my NEW FAVORITE archivals...
in addition to my usual jet black & coffee...

the labels do not do justice to the ink colors...
IMHO...
they are much prettier when stamped...


here's a better look @ those eyelashes...

the mini metal heart started out as silver, but I altered it with the new rose madder archival...
just tap the pad right on the heart...

the flower center is a Maya Road resin flower...
I added a tiny rhinestone to accent the center...

the art parts flower was inked with weathered wood distress stain...

yep...addicted to the stains...
they make you LAZY...
you'll especially see this with antique linen & weathered wood...

they are so quick & give awesome coverage...
how did we live without them?

how much longer do we need to wait for the other 24?
just asking...


the art parts key was textured by pouncing the gold paint dabber over it...
when dry, I distressed it with coffee archival & the new monarch orange archival...
just rub the pad right over the dry paint...

*** here's a tip...***
if you add too much ink...
just wipe some off before it dries with a paper towel...

if you REALLY hate it...
a drop of alcohol blending solution on a Q-Tip will remove it all & you can start over...

the textured paint & archival colors really give the appearance of rust...



here's something I forgot to mention...

a few weeks ago, Anika asked about starting a Flickr group, as a place to share photos of projects using studio 490 stamps...

I thought she had a GREAT IDEA...

THANKS Anika...
here's the link she created if you're interested...


now it's time for me to head back to the studio to...
turn that key...

I AM an artist...
I...

make art!
wendy
ps...YOU ARE TOO!

24 comments:

Nancy said...

Clever, as always - the crown as eyelashes! Love this entire piece!

I'm sorry you were ill last week! Hope you're much better this week.

Thespa McLaughlin said...

So love how you made the "eyelashes". Very well done with the little heart drop. Just keep repeating that, I am an artist, cause you certainly are. I've been creating for many years and have always thought of myself as an artist, you would think by the piles of artwork and piles of work in progress laying around my house my husband would know that too but it took getting paid for an article in Sew Somerset before HE would admit that I was an artist. TURKEY! It's a good thing I get to associate with other artists online to get my encouragement. LOL Hugs!

Helen said...

Of course you are an ARTIST! What a great piece today - love those eyelashes!
The colour swatch tags are amazing, and I need all those new inks, damn it!! Hope to get inky and make art tonight, after dinner, so must rush!!

Vic said...

Thanks again for the great inspiration! I've got to get those new archivals!

SusanK said...

Had a blast Saturday in class! The new archival inks are tops on my shopping list! It was fun meeting Rick...you definitely have a keeper there!

Unknown said...

You are toooo clever THE Wendy Vecchi ... Sorry to hear you were poorly ... LOVE today's Art!

Becky said...

Hope you are all better now! Diggin' the eyelashes...

Belinda Basson said...

You have the most wonderful handwriting. I love your tag idea for the new ink pad colours.

france papillon said...

and that's why we call you THE Wendy Vecchi! love it! and those 36 girls are lucky birds! take care :)

Debby said...

Had a great time in class on Saturday. Love my tags that I can refer to when I need some inspiration! Rick is a great guy to have helped you out so much. We thank him too! Need some of those new archival colors. Can't wait to get them.

sue said...

Very cute. Love the key, and eye lashes.

Dorothy said...

Love it all except for the part where you were not feeling well! Get better!

jan metcalf said...

I'm in love with your handwriting!!! Love the way you scripted the names of the inks on your tags!!

lois Skiathitis said...

You certainly are an ARTIST and thank goodness for that. Love the eyelashes on this project, it is such a clever idea. Love the whole look of this project. TFS!!!
:-D

Sue Young said...

Thanks again,Wendy,for Saturdays great class.Lots of fun and new ideas.Sue

snazzyoriginal said...

Can't wait for the new Archival colours to reach the UK, the blue is to die for with the ticking stamp. Love the art, absolutely agree about the Distress Stains - they make everything come together so much faster!

Art By Wanda said...

FAB page!!! Very cool eyelashes!!! And the heart is just perfect there. So these new Archival Inks - do they still need to be heated to be set?? or are they different?

Julie said...

Love your tag swatch! Great idea for sure and you have beautiful hand writing! Gonna miss you at StampFest, Orlando!! Hope you can make it some time.

scrappin-scrappin said...

Thank goodness you are an Artist and so generous in sharing with all of us!! Love the eyelashes on this piece!! Hope you are feeling better!!

Anonymous said...

It was so great seeing you on Saturday and I was sorry to hear you hadn't been feeling well. It was a treat to see Rick in person as well. It's nice to put a face with a name and I almost feel that I know him after reading your blogs! You are lucky to have each other.

What a wonderful "crash-course" on the many uses for Adirondack ink products! I was most surprised by the vibrant colors that resulted from alcohol inks on a white pigment ink covered surface and the Color Wash with water technique. Those tags really "pop" as I look back on my tag book. As usual I gained much knowledge from you and much inspiration after taking this class, both from your instruction and from the amazing samples of your art. THANK YOU! Marijane

Nancy D. said...

Love your project as usual!!!...great new archival colors!

Tona said...

Love the look of the "rusty" keys. Yout tips are always great too.
Loved your project. Thanks for sharing.

Hels Sheridan said...

Hope you feeling better now hun... loving the art as ever.. those new colours... lush aren't they! I was very lucky and scored a few @Ranger... just have to unpack and play now lol x

www.valencia-3d.com said...

Thanks for the post, pretty helpful data.