here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I snuck away...

for a little play...

I was supposed to be making kits...
shhhhh...
what happens on the blog, stays on the blog!

***WARNING***
NO brown ink was used on this tag...
very different for me...
but I *think* I like it...

I used tim's Sizzix die to cut a tag from the NEW watercolor card stock...LOVE IT!

the cardstock is 5 1/2 inches tall...
I am LOVING this size for tags...
so I had very little waste when cutting tags...

next...I stamped my geranium stamp (on the smooth side) with watering can archival...
and gave it a quick dry with the heat tool...
(yes...I did kiss the lid!)

the watering can archival gives a much softer effect than stamping with jet black...

this is why watering can was my first archival choice...
I had been wanting needing  it for YEARS!

and because archivals are permanent when dry, the image remains undamaged by all the water I added...

I used the barn door distress marker with the detail water brush to color in the flower petals...

the peeled paint & shabby shutters markers worked for the leaves...again blending with the water brush...

the key is to DRY between the layers...

this cardstock takes a lot of water without damaging it...




when the flower was complete, I added some shading with the iced spruce marker...

I scribbled the marker on the craft sheet, watered it down a bit...and I added it to the flower/leaves edges with the detail water brush...& dried it...

I used iced spruce on a blending tool to add shading to the edges & the iced spruce distress stain to add the tiny ink dots to the background...

to create the dots, just put some stain on the craft sheet, pick it up with the detail water brush & tap it over the tag...


I used watering can...
(MWAH!)


with my new ornate dots background stamp to add borders at the top & bottom of the tag...

 just a tiny bit of pen stitching around the sides...
and black glaze pen dots to accent the flower centers...

this was 20 minutes of pure fun...
and it's an addition to my art parts tag art journal...

I'm certainly not an expert watercolor-er (is that a word?)
but the combo of markers, detailer water brush & watercolor card stock sure make it easy...

there is something so relaxing about using the markers...
I didn't want to quit...




but the kits were calling...

I had 1200 tags...YES...60 packs of 20 tags to cut down to 5 1/2 inches for my mixed media tag art journal workshop...

and...a few hundred #8 black tags to cut down too...
and I cut some tags from the watercolor card stock to include in the kits...

gotta have LOTS of tags for class so we can...

make art!
wendy


21 comments:

Val-Belle said...

This is without doubt the most beautiful thing I have seen in a long time Wendy. I love the stamp, I love the tag and I love how you used it all... just amazing.

Kay Wallace said...

Just a super tag, Wendy! Love the texture you have created with the new stamp and sweet new colors! (P.S. I see you are still kissing your new ink pads!)

sue said...

I love that stamp, and the watering can ink!

Julie S said...

Your soul must have needed a break from tag cutting - yowza that's a serious quantity of tags! Lovely, lovely little tag.

Debby said...

Beautiful tag. Hoping some of your new stamps ship soon. Need to get some to have for some play time.

Scrapthat said...

It's Gorgeouso Wendy!! I think a half hour every couple hours should be MANDITORY!! Breaks the monotony and reminds you you are cutting all those tags so others can make fabulous art also! :D

slbt17 said...

very pretty - love the look - I think you are right, we needed this color!
Sandra ltb

Lori said...

Very cute and very fun! Love this!

Vic said...

Fabulous tag! You're a fantastic "water color-er" with the markers.

SusanK said...

GORGEOUS!!!! How much longer do we have to wait for your stamps and stencils to hit store shelves??? I'm getting very impatient! lol

Redanne said...

Love your new look blog Wendy - 'tis fabulous and so easy to read! Your tag is stunning, the watering can is now a must-have, it looks amazing on the flower.... more things for my wish list.

Jenny Marples said...

Ridiculously beautiful! So pleased mine arrived today! Wendy I could hug you for Watering Can. Hugs, Jenny x

Lisa said...

This is absolutely beautiful, Wendy!! I love the gorgeous flower!! The colors look amazing!! I have all of your new Archival Inks, now I need the stamps!! They are next on my to-purchase list!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

LoraineC said...

Beautiful tag :))

Helen said...

Gorgeous tag - and what a different look to your blog! I had to check I had come to the right place!!

bkazoo said...

Beautiful. Wish I lived close by so I could help cut some of those tags for you. Just being around all that creativity would be amazing and so inspiring.

Teresa Jaye said...

OH! so, so pretty! That watering can is perfect - can't wait till mine gets here! Your watercoloring and shading is amazing. Beautiful tag.

Dorothy said...

Just love your tag!!!

Theresa said...

I NEED this lovely geranium stamp....and maybe the paper, too. GORGEOUS stuff! glad you snuck away - it was worth it!!

Lori L. Robinett said...

Beautiful - and what a great reminder to take time to play!

Art By Wanda said...

Wonderful tag!!!