here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

where does inspiration come from?

I think it's very interesting to try & figure out what inspires our art...

sometimes when I finish a piece, I think to myself...
seriously?...where did THAT come from?

but...this one is very obvious...

from our dining room...


and a closer look...


look at the card below & I bet you'll AGREE... 
it WAS inspired by the dining room...

so for those who keep asking if our home looks like my art...

this time I'd have to say YES! for sure!


this card idea started out with the concept that I wanted a different way to use the NEW Pansy SiSi...


normally, I stamp the pansy first, then overlay the 2 part stencil to color the leaves, petals & the outside edges of the petals...

and it turns out like this...


to change up the pansy, I decided to skip the stamp & omit the leaves & to use only the 2 flower petal parts of the stencil...

it goes like this...

make a quick background using tree branch archival reinker/ rubbing alcohol & a drop of the gold metallic mixative...
using manila cardstock...

it's super simple to stencil just the flowers with forget-me-not over a light stenciled layer of watering can archival...that changes up the blue color significantly...
with the stencil in place, stamp polka dots with watering can onto the petals...

then reposition the stencil to ink only the outside edge of the flowers...this time stencil with straight beautiful...forget-me-not...

then lightly add background stamping, using the tic tac toe background stamp with tree branch archival...

stencil some subtle stripes along the right side, using tree branch...

draw some simple stems & leaves...(you could easily stencil them with this stencil, instead of drawing them)...
or you could use either of these stems...
or this stem & leaves would be fun too...

color in the leaves with the peeled paint distress marker...

add the sentiment with jet black archival in the lower light corner...

the reverse dots background stamp is AWESOME & so versatile...
it actually stamps the background...
NOT the dots...thus it's called REVERSE dots...
another GENIUS stamp name...

use the reverse dots background stamp with red geranium on a manila scrap, then use a paper punch to create the flower centers...

you'll also see the reverse dots background used with watering can archival, to make the strip under the main panel...

now, to create a perfectly coordinating card base...

working on a manila cardstock, stencil red geranium thru the checkmate stencil, dry, then ink over it with brushed corduroy distress...

stamp the bow onto manila cardstock, with red geranium & add polka dots, with watering can archival...

add a little pen stitching...

then mount it to a black card...



now...compare this to the first pansy sample above...

I LOVE that they look totally different...

notice the shadow between the flower petals & the outside edge?
that's where the stamp would fit...

this is ANOTHER example of why I LOVE stamps & stencils...
they NEVER need to look the same!

using just stamp or stencil pieces, gives us endless options for creative fun...

so now is YOUR turn
to tell me...

where do YOU get inspiration to...

make art?
wendy




21 comments:

Sue said...

That sound you heard was the breath leaving my body! Wow! Blown away!

Dorothy said...

I love the colors!!
My inspiration comes from things around me and of course YOU!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous card and I love how you were inspired Wendy. I often find inspiration from my garden, especially colour combinations. Thanks for the inspiration. Tracy x

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Gorgeous! Inspiring! You go girl!

Jenny Marples said...

What a fantastic comparison Wendy. You've gone from turn of the 20th Century to the 1950's in a heartbeat here - love both versions! Jenny x

Scrapthat said...

So cool Wendy!! Both your dining room inspiration and also the works of Art!!
While I was on Vacation I got inspiration from a menu and snapped a picture. Also a lot of vintage adverts will inspire me as well.
What would be really cool is if I saw this stuff if the stamp I envisioned would immediately materialize! :D

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

You inspire me!! Love your dining room inspiration! I love that red, and your project is gorgeous! Love the flower!

Mary Ruth said...

Wendy, that's beautiful. AS others have said, I get a lot of my inspiration from you....not just from your art tho....from you. thank you for inspiring us!

Debby said...

Beautiful card! Love your home decor too. Inspiration? Looking at magazines, blogs and just listening to music when there is a spare moment.

Lisa said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Wendy!! All of your projects are so inspirational and fabulous!! I get inspiration from nature and from visiting blogs like yours!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Carol McCready said...

Gorgeous projects. I find a lot of inspiration from walking outdoors.

Craftyfield said...

NOT from my kitchen that's for sure... I do take a lot of inspiration from blogs, yours included of course!

Redanne said...

Love how you got inspiration from something in your home and yes, it really does show in your wonderful piece. At the risk of repeating others - you provide huge inspiration and so does nature! Anne x

Helen said...

Great inspiration, and a wonderful result achieved!!

Marnie said...

Love Love Love this project and the Inspiration!

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Inspiration for me comes from Artist just like you who share their talents and obviously love what they are doing, every day! Your Pansy SiSi is gorgeous and love your amazing card and tag!

stamping sue said...

I guess from around me and of course from blogs I like to visit.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Wilma said...

You give me a lot of inspiration!!

Renee said...

Usually I get inspiration from the art work of others and at times just the colors of inks can move me to create.

toni said...

I sometimes like to go old school and leaf through some of the gorgeous arty crafty books I've accumulated over the years ! X

toni said...

PS : love your card and the wY you found inspiration in your home x