here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, February 8, 2010

altered acrylic binders...101...

I've had several questions recently about how to alter my acrylic stamp storage binders.

Today I thought I'd offer my ideas...
and a few tips...

They come naked, with 3 giant (3 inch) binding rings, so that they can be customized to coordinate with your decor.

The binder makes it very easy to flip thru the pages of stamps, choose your stamp, use it & put it back on the storage sheet.

It's so MUCH better than digging thru a box.

You'll find that you will use them more often, because it's easy.

If you collect cling or Maya Road clear stamps,

blank pages can be added to the binder to store them too.

One pages holds a lot, because you can store stamps on both sides of the blank sheet.


Here's the first binder, which houses my first stamp release.

You'll notice that all the others have a VOL. number on them...

This one doesn't...

since it was my first, I didn't want to jinx myself & say...
VOL. 1...

that assumes there would be VOL.2

If no one besides me liked them, there would be no VOL 2.

But now that we're on VOL 4...

I can safely call this one ...VOL 1!

YIPPEE!

I stamped the border, using jet black archival ink.

I carefully heat set it & you'll see that almost 2 years later, the stamping is still perfect.

It's AMAZING, considering this has been sent across the country many times.

Another option is to stamp on the inside of the cover. Remember to stamp images only...

words won't work on the inside, since they'll show up backward from the front.

I used lots of grungeboard & grungepaper as my base for stamping on all the binders.





Here's VOL 2...

the papers are all graphic 45 and are glued to a base paper.





and VOL 3...

which is a combination of graphic 45 & jenni bowlin papers.

I machine stitched these pieces together to resemble a quilt...






You'll see the newest 2 binders...

VOL 4 in the previous post.


So here's my suggestions for creating them.


The goal is to see NO adhesive on the front.

Remove the protective blue film.

remember...

KEEP THE HOLES ON THE LEFT...trust me!

1. Choose the paper that will be inside the front cover.

it can be one piece...
or mutliple left over strips...

stamped or unstamped...

sewn together or just glued to a paper/cardstock base...

Keep it flat...the embellishments will be added to the front of the cover.

Have it completely ready to go.

2. Lay the paper in place under the front cover, but do not use any adhesive yet.

3. Plan the layout on the front...lay everything in place & move it around until you are satisfied with the look.

4. Glue your largest embellishment to the front of the binder.

5. Open the binder & you'll see where the adhesive is, so put some adhesive there to hold the paper in place.


Now, it's easy to keep words straight, by using the paper as a guide.

6. Add the rest of the embellishments on the front & glue in place.

7. Open the binder again & add adhesive in the adhesive spot areas and press the paper in place.

8. Since the paper is inside the binder, I don't have glue covering it entirely...

It's just where there is something on the front to hide it.

9. TADA! CUSTOM...done & very fun!

One more thing...

I've used several adhesives with success...
Glossy Accents, Art Glitter and Fabri-tac all work fine.


Normally I don't use Glossy Accents for glueing large pieces of paper, because of the quick drying time...
but for this purpose, it's perfect.

Just a tiny dot will hold the paper to the binder.

Remember to be sparing with adhesives.
A little goes a long way & you don't want to see any seeping out.

So there you have it...

altered acrylic binders 101...

If you have a naked binder...
get it out ...

have fun and...

make art!
wendy

37 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the instructions on your binder. I might have to take my apart and do it over.
Sue

Olga-MIA said...

What an awesome blog today! When I first met you , your vol 1 & 2 were sitting on a chair, and they stopped me on my tracks. Gorgeous! I was in LOVE... And still am.. Thanks Wendy for all you inspiration. Warm regards, Olga, Miami, FL

SusanK said...

I need more binders! They're so much fun to decorate that I don't put them away so I can always look to them for inspiration. Anxiously awaiting my new sets!!!!

Lori said...

These are really cool. I have resisted so far, but I'm thinkin' I might have to give in.....

Donna said...

Your binders are awesome, Thanks Wendy!

Cim Allen said...

You always make things so understandable to me .. thanks for the instructions. I can't wait to try one .. I really like the last two you did with all of Tim's new colors and products .. AWESOME !!! Have a great day

pickles99 said...

thanks for the tutorial. wondering how you store your binders (on a shelf like a book?, displayed?)since they're so dimensional. Don't your flowers get squished?

thanks again!

Shirley said...

Your art is so lovely. I wished they would imprint it on the binders as you have created it. That would be a treasure.

On another note, this past week I received the new release stamp that I won from you. I love it! Thank you so much. I left a "thank you" on facebook, but was not sure if you read your facebook mail or not. A couple of thanks is not too much anyway for such a nice gift.

Barbara L. said...

Thanks for the instructions for the acrylic covers. Sometimes it's hard to tell from the pics of acrylics just how to do things.

Unknown said...

What a great Tutorial! I have not gone with a binder,(I'm in the caveman age still digging through the box-LOL)You make a great point though. I think I would use my stamps more if they were in binders. Yours are beautiful btw!

michelle said...

This is wonderful and I think I just might have to order me some binders now and then fill them all up!

Unknown said...

I love the way you decorated your binders! Although, the way I store things, I'd probably knock off an embellishment a week! When I first got some of your sets, I made a binder using chipboard--never finished decorating it, but now, you've inspired me to finish it!--Stephanie

helen said...

Hi, Wendy - superb blog, thank you SO much for your tips on decorating - I would have stuck the paper to the outside and watched it get scruffy quickly! (I was thinking about using grungepaper a la Linda E (of the bean tins but kind of begrudge using so much!!) I have got only one binder at the moment (mainly cost my pre-order 2010 stamps aren't here yet, lol!) and keep meaning to get down and arty and decorate it. Thank you.

Debby said...

Thanks for the tips as I have another binder to art up.

Anonymous said...

aahh...so that's the way to do it! yep gotta have a binder or two now that I'm slowly accumalating a certain persons stamps!!!

Bethan

Dawn said...

Thank you for the directions, I printed them out, so I can decorate mine. They look great!
Hugs from the beach!
Dawn in SC

Anonymous said...

lol..I just have to have your books soon..your posts are just not long enuf for me! I had asked about the binders...glad I did now as you *cleared* things up for me as to how to tackle this..I think I can do it! *clicks heels together* and I shall! ty ty ty! cher

Tona said...

Thanks for all the great info. That's a great idea to put your outer embellishments on 1st. Brilliant! Now maybe I'll art up my naked binder without being afraid of messing it up lol.

Kathy Eddy said...

Mine has been laying on my desk for weeks now, waiting for me to take the time to alter it and make it arty! I didn't even know the blue came off! LOL Where can i buy some time?

2amscrapper said...

It's time for me to get a binder and decorate it.

slbt17 said...

very clever! Thanks for sharing, and they really are beautiful!
Sandra

Shirley Smith said...

Wonderful binders. Love the website. Look every day just to read your great blog. Thanks Shirley S

Liz in MO said...

Here's to many, many more volumes!!!!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Wendy,
INSPIRATIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL all at once!!! Thank you!

luv
heidi

Vicki Conquest said...

I'm with Heidi, saying "great tutorial" and love seeing yours all done up. I've got people fighting over your stamps when they come in, we love you here in SOMO and are anxiously awaiting the new sets! Congrats on a great show!
Vicki C.

TinaB said...

What I great idea xx Thank you for sharing xx

somebody who needs to love herself said...

I have only 6 of your stamps set. they are very hard to find here in my country. but what you say is true...I keep forgetting to use them cause its in a box, will have to find a binder then. great tips! thanks

Lynne Forsythe said...

Wendy....wanted to thank YOU....MR & MRS SA!! for wonderful set of stamps!!! Got a project brewing in my head....can't wait to get it started!!! Will keep you posted!!

elina said...

these are fantastic Wendy!!!!! Kisses from gREECE!!

Debby said...

WOW!!! These are so awesome, thanks for sharing. I just found your blog and it is gorgeous.
debby

Karla Anderson said...

Thanks for showing these. They are great. I am putting in my order for my first stamp set of yours this week. Its so hard to decide!! I will probably have to order one ever month for the next year!

Julie said...

Haven't gotten a binder yet to house my stamps. Hopefully you will have binders again at StampFest in Orlando?

linda said...

Thanks for the info on decoratiing your binders! I hadn't done any binders either - my stamps are in a drawer - but I'm considering it now because yours are just so cute!

We can't wait to come to Scrap Tales in August, Wendy! It's going to be sooooooo much fun having you here!

linda@Scrap Tales

Erin Glee said...

Thanks for all those great diections to decorate your stamp binders! BEAUTIFUL!

doreen said...

very cool! thanks, doreen

Hels Sheridan said...

I love your binders...and I have two here which are still waiting to be decorated...thanks for the tips...am deffo gonna give it a try....erm..need another set now to hold my erm...new stamps ROFL xx

Art Glitter said...

Nice work Wendy! I put a link up on our Facebook wall. Thank you for the mention, sparkle on!

info@artglitter.com
http://www.artglitter.com
http://artglitterblog.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-Glitter/330357605104