here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, June 7, 2010

so I had this little idea...

I tried it & it worked...


I planned to save the idea for book #3...(I'll use plan B there instead)


but since we had so many lovely comments on the last post...

THANK YOU!!!


I decided to share it TODAY...

(see...comments are good...very good!)

One of my favorite products from tim's last CHA release is the memo pins...

they have LOTS of possibilities...

my idea was to create "custom epoxy embellishments"...

let's get started...

first of all...there are 2 different sides to the memo pins...

take a look below...

when making these guys, I set them on the craft sheet like the pin on the right...

with the end of the wire on top...


It sits flatter that way.





Supplies to gather...


you'll want to work on Ranger's non stick craft sheet for sure...

memo pins...of course!

Ranger's Glossy Accents are the magic ingredient...

jet black archival ink

a glue stick

a paper punch sized to fit the memo pin circle

(I think mine is an EK SUCCESS? It's old...it's yellow & it's the perfect size)

some studio 490 stamp word/number images...

would be a great choice (in my opinion!)

imagine that!

or book text...

or tim's tissue tape applied to cardstock...

or this tissue tape...
or...or...or...there are a million possibilities...

here are the simple steps...

#1...stamp images on cardstock, using jet black archival ink...then punch some images to put behind the memo pin...

#2...use the glue stick & put a line of glue on the craft sheet. this will hold the tiny punched images in place...

(incase you sneeze! ha!)

set the punched images on the glue line...

MAKE SURE to leave room between them, if you're making a bunch...

#3...lay the memo pin over the punched image & fill with Glossy Accents...

I started on the perimeter of the circle & filled it to the inside to completely cover the image...

(I made a bunch to have on hand...because now I'm IN LOVE with them)...




They look cloudy when filled, but TRUST ME...

the Glossy Accents magically dries crystal clear...
(ignore the gold & black paint dabber leftovers


I got in a hurry & didn't clean the craft sheet...)





#4...set aside & let dry...it takes about 2 hours-ish...

Remove from the craft sheet...magically, the craft sheet releases them without the paper sticking to the sheet...


like I said...it's MAGIC!

TADA...

a "custom epoxy embellishment" ...

Here's one...



and here is one I used on a CHA project...




You certainly didn't think I'd show the whole shebang...

DID YOU?? ha ha!!

SORRY...CHA is still 6 weeks away!

Now the extra cool thing is that these cuties are "cost effective"...

I MAY possibly be an enabler...

I've been accused of that...

but @ 10 cents each...these guys are the bargain of the century!

You'll never run out of the word or number you need...

because they are...

CUSTOM made! Just make what you NEED...

TRY IT... then let me know how you like it!

Now about the promised giveaway...

since we had over 100 comments we're giving 3 goodie packages instead of just one...YIPPEE!!!

HUGE CONGRATS TO...


Kim said...
Wow!!!! I love the new MR stuff!!! Adding it to my wish list right now!!!!!

June 6, 2010 3:13 PM


and more CONGRATS...

Twyla and Lindsey said...
I love your posts! I love your work!
I can't wait to get my hands on those star stick pins!! Love them!
Thanks!
Lindsey

June 5, 2010 10:02 AM

and another CONGRATS!...

lovetostamp said...
Wendy - what a great post - full of great info. Love it that Ranger got a blog - already subscribed! Thanks for keeping us updated - so much cool Maya Road stuff!

June 4, 2010 11:08 AM


Please email (wbv1213@hughes.net) your shipping info & there will be a little package coming your way...

So now that all these custom epoxy embellies are waiting...

I'm off to the studio to...

make art!

wendy
ps...we LOVE the ipad...
we will be dumping this PC THIS WEEK...but that's a story for another day.

63 comments:

Etta said...

LOVE the idea...and you too, Wendy!HATE the tease. Can't wait to see the AMAZING project!!!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous, awesome, original idea - thanks for sharing it with us - even if it is a teaser - it's a great one.

Linda said...

Fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait until I can try making some!

Linda

Elaine A said...

Hi Wendy -

What an awesome idea! I love your tutorial - thank you! Congratulations to the winners.

Elaine Allen

Anita said...

These are cool!

carpediem said...

fabulous idea!!...can't wait to see the new stamps!

Cim Allen said...

Super cool idea !! I have two packs of them can't wait to get home and play!!! Thanks for the idea .. awesome as always :)

Helen said...

Well done the lucky 3 winners. I have some of those pins so can try this. What a fab idea.

Kathy said...

This is has so many possibilities, I'm to play right now.

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

How fun are these!

Kathi said...

Wow! Very cool. I need to find some of those pins now!

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Fantastic idea Wendy, thank you :) Can't wait to see the CHA thingy in full.
Congrats to the winners ;)
Anne xx

Stephanie said...

what a GREAT idea. These would be fab for gift accents too.

Thespa McLaughlin said...

Love love love this! Thank you so much for sharing.

Tona said...

Love what you did with the memo pins!
Congrats to the winners!!

Courtney said...

Love this idea!!! I am giddy right now. Can't wait to go make art!

Amy said...

Love that idea!!! I can't wait to try it!

michelle said...

Love the pin that is a great idea. . . a very small tease indeed I had hopes but should of know better!

Unknown said...

I have some drying as we speak :0) You clever lady you :0)

Anonymous said...

Well, aren't you one clever artiste! Yep, that elevates you to genius level in my world.
I'll be "borrowing" the idea for sure.
Eileen in NYC

Kate Burroughs said...

Thanks so much for the custom epoxy embellishment idea. I just happen to already own some of those memo pins so this is going to be a fun item to make my own. Love being able to make my own and not be limited to what you can find to purchase.
Aloha, Kate

Julie said...

Congrates to the winners!

Way cool ideas Wendy!!

Today is my birthday and I am making art!!!!!!!!!

Gretchen said...

freaking cool! :D

Unknown said...

What an awesome idea! I use glossy accents on everything (I thought), but hadn't thought of this one. You can bet I'll have a batch of them ready to use by tomorrow!

kjjc said...

heeeeeeelp. I have searched and searched, googled and googled but all to no avail. I can not find the sew cute mini chipboard set anywhere. Your side of the big blue sea or mine. What can I do heeeeeelp. Neeeeed two sets urgently. Please Wendy advise. Many thanks.karencass@hotmail.co.uk

aknancy said...

Thank you Wendy for the great idea. We appreciate all the ideas you throw our way
Congrats to the winners.

jan metcalf said...

You tease! Go ahead and sneeze! :)

Nina W. said...

You are brilliant! I absolutely LOVE the idea. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

OH my gosh, is this not the most amazing creation you made with those pins...those memo pins are awesome! I just attended Tim's curio class last week here in AZ, and I used one of those pins...super sharp but I love them! You have such an inspiring blog...I'm subscribing to your blog now (came here from Julie's Open Window)! Thanks for the FABulous inspiration!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

OMG, thanks Wendy, I do luv luv luv this idea, gotta get bz!

Dorothy said...

Way cool!!!!!
Fantastic!!!

2amscrapper said...

amazing idea!

nonnie said...

Wendy - thanks for the great idea!
kjjc - The Frantic Stamper had those little sew cute chipboard sets last week - that is where I found mine. (www.franticstamper.com) Fran (who owns Frantic Stamper) ships to lots of countries. She also has the newest Studio 490 stamps from the January release. The web site is a little tricky at times, but check under New Products or Maya Road and you should find them. After you figure out what you want, you email her with a list and she contacts you with shipping info and then you arrange payment info. I have been buying from her for about 3 years and she is delightful! Good luck - they are adorable and go so well with WendyÅ› stamps - you will love them! (Why do I feel like an enabler...)

KAT said...

That is just FREAKIN FABULOUS!!!! What a great use for those pins... Now I need to see what words will fit through them and create some - did I tell you this was FREAKIN FABULOUS! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Genius. This is bloody genius! I'm so impressed. Now I just need some pins! Thank you so much for the inspiration.

Dianal said...

what a great idea .... love all your ideas and thanks for sharing ... off to Make ART!!

mikki said...

i went a little crazy! started off
with letters,+ numbers, moved on to
embellished scraps and old book
pages. so much fun(and addictive)
i'm gonna see if i can use some of my paper flowers, paper beads...
as u say, the possibilities r
endless

Miss Iowa said...

Awesome!

Wendy, are you going to be at CHA in Chicago? I didn't see Studio 490 or Stampington listed as one of the exhibitors.

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Wendy, great idea, thank you for sharing.. see lots of possibilities with this one:)
xx

Hels Sheridan said...

**swoons** Wendy, I just loooove this idea and THANK YOU for sharing..you certainly are an enabler hun... am off to get those Memo pins and GA to have a go meself :O)) x

Sandi M said...

This is a fantastic idea! I have pins. I have Glossy Accents. Woohoo - I can make some immediately :) Thanks Wendy!

Janene said...

You are never short of clever ideas. Absolutely love it! Can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing

Chirpin Is Fun said...

You are amazing! How do you come up with this stuff? Love this idea...got those pins...gotta get buzy.

Nancy said...

Oh, these are WONDERFUL, Wendy! Thank you for sharing ...

Hitomi said...

what an awesome idea.....love it!

slbt17 said...

very cool! how do you find such tiny art to do this?
Sandra

Sue said...

Wahoo what a great idea! Can't wait to try it! Snick~Sue

Girls Artistically Together said...

very cool! thanks for sharing! hugs!

Linda R said...

You are a genius (course I already knew that)...the i/apple so called genius has nothing on you!! I LOVE these and I have some already and can't wait to make a wendyized version ;-) happy dance! Now what to stamp behind hmmm. Thanks for always inspiring us and I love enablers!!!

Primitive Seasons said...

Wendy, are these the pins with about a 3/8" opening or are there larger ones. They seem so small to put a word in!

Mary
www.primitiveseasons.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love the way your mind works Wendy! Thanks for sharing such a great idea! Congratulations to the lucky winners!

Nancy Wethington said...

Wendy, you are brilliant!

julie said...

the idea with the pin is mighty cool. may have to order some of those little doo-dads. didn't think i needed them until now.
guess you have been on the road getting your mac fix. i know 80 mi is a long ways to drive. the nearest genius here is 130 mi away. thank goodness macs are stable enough that i can get along on my own.
hope you are happily maccin.

Heidi said...

YOU ARE A GENIUS AS ALWAYS!!!! On the hunt for a punch now!!! Do you think we could just cut and then sand the extra off if can't find a punch?

can't wait for next week!

Luv,
Heidi

mamakat said...

Tried this last night with glossy, and both the new white and black enamel accents. Super cool! Thanks.
Kathryn

Roseanne said...

AMAZING as always!!! thanks for sharing!

Roseanne

TheLastOfNine said...

You have perfect timing, why you ask... Well I just finished an 8x8 anniversary mini for a friend and made these pins with the couples initials in each and put them behind a beautiful flower, it was exactly what it needed. Thank you for the idea. Love LoVe LOvE it.

Kelvin & Melissa said...

Thanks Wendy on yet another great post. I have some Memo Pins so I am going to give it a try.
Thanks again
Luv
Mel

MA said...

Awesome idea..made a small batch of them last night. Used a 5/16 hand punch. Punched out circles from scraps of dictionary covered grungepaper (the size you'd think about tossing), punched out 1/4 hearts, distressed them, adhered them to the circle and yada yada yada..love em! Thanks for sharing your talent.

Wendy Swenne said...

Oh my, I just love LOVE this idea. I'm going to make them this weekend I think. Getting my jewelry-making-stuff to make the pins and give it a try!

Thanks so much for sharing.

ScrappyScavenger said...

oOOOHhh! Type writer keys!

Nina said...

Oh wow, what a fab idea! Thanks for sharing and inspiring! <3
//Nina in Denmark

www.cantabria-3d.com said...

I found a great deal of useful material here!