here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

tim holtz distress marker magic...


I love to play & experiment 
with Ranger products...

sometimes things don't work 
like I thought they might...
and they get trashed...

and sometimes 
I happen upon something really cool...

today I'll share a cool discovery...

keep in mind that these new distress markers 
are a water based product...
meaning that they are meant for porous surfaces...
like paper, art parts, specialty stamping paper etc...

and don't work on slick surfaces...

or do they work on some???

I designed some of my 
in neutral light colors, 
with the idea that they can be easily altered
  using tim's adirondack alcohol inks...

it works great...
and they look very cool...
so that's PLAN A...

but being a LOVER of all things distress, 
I HAD to try the distress inks on these pieces...

I used the distress inks with the blending tool, 
with not much success...

but I don't give up easily...
so...
I decided to try to alter these resin pieces with

I took photos along the way &
 I am VERY HAPPY to report that 
they work like MAGIC!

here's my cream colored resin bird, 
right from the package...
nice flat back, for easy gluing, 
with lots of detail & dimension on the front...

he can be used AS IS...
or...

Here comes PLAN B...



 in the photo below, 
you'll see that I inked the body 
with the scattered straw marker & 
the wings with tumbled glass...
then dried him lightly with the heat tool...

don't over cook him!

you can also just let him sit in a sunny window to dry...
if you are a patient person...


now he looks like this...


then I added faded jeans to accent the wings...
and wild honey to add shading to the head & body...
and lightly dried him again...



now he looks like this..


then I added more shading 
with the rusty hinge marker...
dried that, 
then added saffron archival 
to accent the head & belly area...
& french ultramarine to darken the wings...

to apply the archival inks,
 I tapped a paper towel onto the pad, 
then tapped it on the areas 
that I wanted to highlight...
then I dried him again...




 looking good...
but I still wanted to use my stamps on him...




to add the mini polka dots 
& then dried the ink...

I just tapped the area of the stamp 
that I wanted to use 
onto the orange pad, 
without using the acrylic block...

this makes it very easy to stamp tiny areas...

to add the finishing touch, 
I tapped the coffee archival pad 
directly on the wings
 to aged them & dried them...


and here's the end result...
a simple transformation, 
that took less than 5 minutes to complete...

hmmm...
I might add a bit of 
rock candy distress stickles to the wings...

that thought just popped in...
so no photo of that...


with lots of awesome distress markers
to choose from, 
the possibilities for colors and 
color combinations are endless...

the thing that I LOVE 
is that you can customize these embellishments 
to any color you need for your project...

we have more neutral embellishments 
that can be altered with these awesome markers...

or  PLAN A...

now I want to alter these...

and these...

and THESE...

and for sure these...

but I have to pack for 
this weekends classes at
before I can

make art!
wendy





25 comments:

She Reads Late Into the Night said...

Love how your bird turned out it is gorgeous thanks for sharing this cool technique I will have to give it a try!
Amy

Artyjen said...

Looks really cool! Do you know if Blossom Bucket sell the stuff in the U.K. though?
xoxo Sioux

Martha Richardson said...

Oh geesh...now I have to buy all the distress markers...can't wait to try this as I just got my Blossom Bucket order from SSS!

Unknown said...

I love these little experiements you do! Thanks for sharing with us!

SusanK said...

What a fun play day you had! The bird looks gorgeous!

Dorothy said...

Truly amazing!!!!

Helen said...

WOW! He looked cool before you started but now - he is magnificent!! What a great way to spend the day... thanks for sharing!

Marijane said...

Great technique! I liked the bird at several stages along the way. Your Blossom Bucket cream colored items will be so versatile! Thanks for sharing.

Debby said...

Great techniques with the bird. Will have to get some more of those embellishments! Have a great weekend!

Elaine A said...

Wendy -

The sweet bird looks even better after you went to town on him - LOL! Thanks for showing us how he can be altered, great techniques and good to know info.

Elaine Allen

Jenny Marples said...

Just inspired. This little birdy looks good enough to grace any branch. Thanks for the tutorial.
Hugs, Buttons x

Anonymous said...

Good to know technique with the markers. I love your bird!

Annie said...

Hi Wendy. Lovin your bird and the colours are great. I am just foolin around with distress inks and markers too, but think I need to go back to plan A, Alcohol inks. Crafty hugs Annie

Cim Allen said...

Totally cool technique. Your mind must never stop .. you're amazing !

sue said...

Very cool!! You think of everything.

Redanne said...

Brilliant technique Wendy, thanks for the tip. Anne x

Kathy Eddy said...

He was cool to start with, but what a transformation! He is just beautiful now! I am a huge bird-lover anyway.

Deb Neerman said...

WoW, how cool is this?!? FABulous technique ... thank you for sharing this with us!!

Tona said...

Love your bird. I also love how you experiement for me because I'm so afraid to waste my precious product. When you decide that you're done with the bird will you need to seal him & if so with what?

Unknown said...

Looks like you've had some fun with this :-)

Kate said...

He look great and these new embellishments look wonderful.

** Kate **

Lizzette said...

Love the bird, so happy I have the distress markers. Looking forward to meeting you and taking your awesome workshop at Everything Scrapbook on Saturday. Safe travels, Lizzette

Art By Wanda said...

Very cool!!!!!!!!! I've been avoiding the markers as I'm just not a big color it in kind of person but you are really working to change my mind :-))

Kim Dellow said...

Saw this on Facebook Wendy and it is just totally the best! Kim

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Brilliant!!! I so need Blossom Buckets...gotta get some quick!!!