here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, May 20, 2013

metallic embossing pastes ROCK!

in this previous post
I shared how to make custom embossing paste colors,
by combining tim's distress reinkers and 

today...
it's all about the metallic embossing pastes...

first up...


the gold is especially AMAZING...

in the photo below, 
I spread it thru the "yikes, stripes" stencil...
you don't notice any metallic when the paste is wet...
it's more of a butterscotch color...



let it air dry...
and it magically transforms itself 
into this beautiful metallic gold...

look at the big difference!


not sure how the magic happens...
but I LOVE the result...


next...


I spread it thru the "polka dotty " stencil...

yippee...stencils are back in stock!

I applied it fairly thick...

the metallics look great on a black surface...
or on kraft...
and on...
everything...



I let the paste partially dry...
then blasted it with the heat tool to create this awesome texture...



back to the gold paste...

what if I wanted to tone down the metallic...
or create another shade?

rub the coffee archival pad over the DRY paste...

the bottom of the tag is the original gold metallic...

on the top, you'll see the color change where it was swiped with the coffee archival pad...


over the DRY metallic silver paste...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this effect!


what happens if you mix equal parts of gold & silver pastes together?

it creates a beautiful pewter-ish color...

for the experiment below, I spread a thin layer on an atc...
and blasted it with the heat tool...

look at the AWESOME textured result...

I'm in LOVE...


this is part one of the metallic paste experiments...

I have lots more ideas brewing...

but...
think about this...

any color of the distress reinkers can be added to either of the metallic pastes...

a tiny drop of the rusty hinge reinker
mixed into the gold paste 
creates a pretty metallic copper colored paste...

I'm going to swipe an archival pad LIGHTLY over the paste that I heated, so the ink is only on the raised area...
this will create a cool rusty texture...

there are so many metallic possibilities to

make art!
wendy
ps...can you see that archivals are AWESOME!

19 comments:

Dorothy said...

Awesome idea!!!!

Caroline D. said...

Great ideas! The texture from heating the paste looks awesome... will be trying that too!

Julie S said...

You make it so difficult for me to behave myself. These are such cool techniques! Time to haul my hiney over to my LSS to pick up some paste...

Sharon Y said...

Yes indeed the metallic paste rocks! Loving the polka dots on the black.

SusanK said...

Love the metallic embossing pastes and can't believe how easy it is to change their color and texture! Let's hear it for Wendy's idea!!!!!

Lisa said...

Wow, the gold paste looks amazing!! I love how you can ink it to change the colors!! Both the metallic pastes are must-haves!! Thanks for the inspiration!! Happy Monday :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Helen said...

Fantastic experiments!! Love that gold paste..

sue said...

Well this is amazing! The possibility are endless?

Cim Allen said...

Archivals ROCK !! The silver with the polka dots has to be my fave combo .. that blue really popped it too. Have a great day Wendy !

snazzyoriginal said...

Great inspiration - off to experiment!xx

Vic said...

Yummy! I off to order silver & my "missing" stencils!

Redanne said...

Oh yes, I can see that archivals are awesome. Love the archival over the silver paste, that looks amazing. Thank you for sharing more great techniques with us - I love the way the paste reacts with the heat too. Anne x

Martha Richardson said...

LOve the gold metallic paste...now to try the silver ;)

Teresa Jaye said...


Love this paste - my new all time favorite tool!
ooooooooo, haven't tried heating it- time to go play!

Debby said...

Cool ideas!

Dawn Edwards said...

very cool ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Can't wait for my foot to heal a little more so I can get back on my feet and into my craft room! These last two posts are really inspiring me!

Art By Wanda said...

Way, WAAAAYYYY Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lori said...

Oooo...whole 'nother way to use the metallics! Love these ideas!