here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, September 26, 2014

more embossing powder play...

a few days ago, 
I took some time to just play...
for me...
not to do a step by step blog post, 
but to just relax & P L A Y...

this is still my hobby!

I wanted time to P L A Y 
with these guys...



I had so much fun that I wanted to share the finished piece with my blog friends...

I had an assemblage clock that I took out several times over the last few months...
but the inspiration was hiding & I decided to save the clock for the perfect idea...

I'm so glad I did...

here's what I created...

a faux graniteware home decor piece...



this clock is so easy to alter because it's designed to be disassembled...
with the pieces apart & working in sections,
I tapped cornflower blue archival ink over the metal clock, sprinkled on 
& heated it to melt the powder...

***remember***
heated metal is H O T, so take your time...

after the embossing powder cooled, I used my unmounted spatter stamp with snow cap white pigment ink to add the dots & make it look more authentic...

after drying the snow cap, I tapped on some potting soil archival ink with the blending tool...

I kept it mainly on the edges where you would expect normal wear to occur...
potting soil is the best color 

I also added some mushroom alcohol ink to the edges of the glass to make the glass look more vintage...

 you'll also see that I distressed the metal between the bells...

I painted it with glue n seal...
the matte finish & sprinkled on just a few bits of the vintage photo distress embossing powder...
I didn't heat it...the glue n seal keeps it in place & it looks & feels like rust...

it's not easy to photograph with the glass, but I hope you can see the "grass"...
since this is our home...
see the 490?...
I wanted it to look real...

I opened 4 or 5 of the woodlands wreaths, misted them with peeled paint distress spray stain & hot glued them in place in front of the house...
since they are flexible, it was easy to fit the curve of the clock...
tada...
GRASS!



and on the little art parts flowers you'll see in the first & last photos...

here's a better look at the grass...


all assembled, it looks like this...


think about these ideas...

this clock can be created in any color theme & would make an awesome holiday gift...

it could be a Christmas theme,
with a mini tree in front of the house...
or an everyday theme like this one...

I think it's the perfect gift for a new home owner...
just add their house number...
if they have a long house number, the number could be added to the glass with remnant rubs...

you could also use this as an anniversary gift & include the date of the wedding...
and use a heart or their photo as the focal point...

or customize it with letterpress name or initials for a wedding gift...

gotta run...

I'm off to Orlando for The Collin's event...
this is a great event, where we teach, do make & takes & get lots of time to visit with store owners...

see you next week...

have a great weekend...
I hope you're ready to
grab an assemblage clock...

and...

make art!
wendy




23 comments:

Sue said...

Such a great idea as a gift! Have fun this weekend.

famillemarleau said...

It's so beautiful. Love how it looks. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe

Scrapthat said...

It's an awesome piece Wendy!! TFS!

Debby said...

Absolutely love it! I still have art parts residences so gives me a cool idea for when my powders arrive!

Claudine said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing, what a great idea. I have an unopened assemblage clock that I need to get out and play with.

Ruby Wilkes said...

TFS, I love the look, I might try a beach scene.

Redanne said...

Wow! The cornflower powder looks like real enamel on the clock - fabulous!

SusanK said...

Wow, what a great idea! And your faux graniteware look is very appealing!

AngelkissesbyLinda said...

Darling ideas Wendy, your clock is fabulous. I am going to get what I need and give this a try. TFS!

Julie S said...

Wow, that's so cool!

Dorothy said...

Fabulous!!!!

Lisa said...

Wow, this looks amazing!! The design and details are just fabulous and so inspiring!! Love this!! Have a great weekend :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Vic said...

Fabulous! I'm "stealing" this as soon as my embossing powders arrive.

Julia Aston said...

Love your 'home' in the clock Wendy - I've just ordered your whole set of embossing powders and I can't wait to try them out on all of the Art Parts that I have - and other things I can find to cover up!!

Kirsten said...

That is so cute. I love the colour.

Lisa H said...

I just love this and the faux granitware look. It makes me happy. =)

Marci said...

It does look like graniteware! Very cute!

Rea' said...

Had to come back and drool over the clock some more :) Awesome gift ideas you gave ! I did a clock for CC3 Challenge ... I may have to do another one !!

Carol McCready said...

I knew I'd been hoarding my assemblage clock for a reason.

Sandy said...

I have that clock as well, and just got all my new colors of embossing powder. Yours looks amazing - but, question. Where'd you get the glass to fit in the opening?

Tona said...

This is beyond fantastic!!!

Lori said...

Love it!!! Have fun at the show!!

Lisapmac said...

Fantastic x