here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

playing with powders, paste...

and bare wood!

inexpensive plain wood ornaments have unlimited potential and can be used with so many products for a MILLION different results...

here's one way to alter this 5 inch tall wood tree...
from Hobby Lobby...



use the brushed corduroy distress marker to color the trunk...


add fern green archival ink over the tree, then sprinkle on the fern green embossing powder while the ink is still wet...

heat to emboss...


to add the pattern to the tree trunk...


ahhh..
cute...


oops...forgot the photo...
add potting soil ink to the green tree edges...

then...

use snow cap white pigment ink with the spatter stamp to stamp over the tree & give it a quick dry...


apply gold metallic embossing paste thru the larger "merry christmas", with a palette knife...



I added it at the bottom of the tree...
then set it aside to dry...


add gold metallic embossing paste to the art parts star & pounce the palette knife over the paste to create texture...
it's kind of like making the peaks in meringue... 
set that aside to dry...
it will dry with the texture...


when the paste has dried, use the blending tool to add potting soil to create an aged metallic effect...


I also added a tiny bit of watering can archival to the very edges of the star & now it looks like this...


YIPPEE!

I LIGHTLY added some around the outside edge of the star, then sprinkled on 


then added the remnant rub after the glue n seal had dried...

remnant rubs are fantastic over uneven surfaces...


swipe the letterpress over the tree branch archival pad, then sprinkle with 
 heat to emboss...
while the powder was still hot, I added a second layer of the powder to create a completely smooth enamel effect...

using one layer of embossing powder gives a textured result...
adding the second layer makes it very smooth...


I used potting soil to stamp the tiny text over each of the letterpress...


the next photo shows how to
 alter the ice skates...
the top is the original...right from the package & the bottom one is altered...

I used my finger with a very small amount of
tapped it onto the front of the ice skates...
I left the blade portion silver...

then I added some potting soil ink after the paste had dried, which was only a minute, since I used such a small amount of paste...

using the hemostat to hold these really helped...
and it's a really handy tool for embossing small pieces...
it protects your fingers from the embossing tool...


next I added remnant rub words to each skate...
put them on a jump ring & attached the jump ring to the screw eye...
all ready to go...


to change up the linen ribbon...

after shaking the tarnished brass distress stain, dispense some onto the craft sheet & swipe the linen ribbon thru the stain & dry...


I darkened it with a bit of potting soil...
and twisted the middle to make it thinner...


now the star gets glued to the top of the tree...
the letterpress get glued on above the metallic sentiment...
leaving room to attach the ice skates with the screw eye...

the linen ribbon gets tied to the tree trunk & I also added a second screw eye...

so...
from this...


to this...


yes...I AM addicted to letterpress & I don't want the cure!

below you can see the raised gold embossing paste sentiment and the little rub ons on the skates...
I DO believe that
every detail does matter...


instead of sending a card, how fun it will be to surprise some "special people" with a handmade ornament?

did you notice that
I needed an O...
so I used the Q upside down...
hey...
it's ART...
there are NO RULES!



be on the lookout for bare wood items...
 Hobby Lobby is loaded with so many fun holiday choices...

I picked up quite a few, for very little $$$
and I'll be sharing more altering ideas in coming blog posts...
I LOVE home decor type stuff...

I picked up several of these same wood trees, 
so I think it will be fun to share 
several completely different ways 
to change them up...
stay tuned!

now...
I'm off with my sweetheart 
to celebrate today...
loved him then...
love him even more now...
little did he know then that he would be promoted to HEAD OF SHIPPING & RECEIVING!
haha...


I hope you're inspired to pick up some bare wood
and gather your supplies...
so YOU CAN...

make art!
wendy
ps...THE BEARS STILL SUCK!

37 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous home decor piece Wendy, love the paste, texture colours and design. Those skates are so sweet. Happy Anniversary . Tracy x

Ann said...

So gorgeous.....thanks for sharing your fabulous creativity Wendy & Happy Anniversary!!
Hugs, Ann xx

seahag said...

Happiness Always. Thanks so much for sharing this kewl idea! ♡♡♡

Dorothy said...

Stunning!!!
Love the pic of you two!!

Linda T said...

Absolutely adorable. I just LOVE the finished look. Thank you for showing us the steps you used. I just love it. You are just so talented.

Craftyfield said...

Gorgeous textures and colours!

Scrapthat said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Wendy and Rick!!
I hope you have many many more happy years together!

I love your project Wendy! So cute...TFS

Vic said...

Wow, great transformation! Happy Anniversary yo you & Rick.

AngelkissesbyLinda said...

Wendy I love your work so much. I am going looking for wood items and try something myself. TFS!

Lisa said...

Happy, happy anniversary!! What a beautiful picture of you and your hubby!! And WOW, your tree is amazing!! It took me forever to leave a comment because I couldn't quit staring at it!! It's stunning!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Helen said...

Happy anniversary, what a lovely photo... gorgeous tree, love the skates!! have a great time.

Redanne said...

Inspired? You always have such wonderful ideas to share - love the technique on the little skate and what a great idea to use the Q for an O - that's an extra bonus!! Your tree is a delight. Happy Anniversary to you both too... Anne xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful as always Wendy and I just got my supplies! I ordered from funky junky....delivered quickly! Thank you!

SusanK said...

What a fun transformation to the bare wood tree! I noticed the letter exchange and think its perfect!

Debby said...

Happy Anniversary! Your creativity never fails to amaze me! Love what you did with the tree!

Diana said...

totally inspired!

Rea' said...

Happy Anniversary Wendy !
OMG,OMG,OMG ...I'm so giddy my heart is beating to fast (seriously)... okay breathing slowly again... I just get so excited... this is fabulous; love the star, the skates LOL !! You definitely rocked it... NO UGLY here mam ( in the commercial voice)!

Brat said...

Gorgeous Wendy! I love the letterpress! The tree turned out wonderfully!

Suzan VonEssen said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Love this tree and all its gorgeous details.

Sue said...

Happy Anniversary! Love your tree. Now I gotta go to HobLob and see what I can find to alter!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

LOVE the wedding photo!! Thanks so much for sharing that. Hope you have a fabulous anniversary. Your altered wooden tree is fantastic and the way you used the rub-ons on the skates is totally inspired! I actually meant to stop at Hobby Lobby yesterday to see what I could find to alter but never made it. Will definitely make a point to do that now that you have jacked up my mojo!

Tona said...

Love, love, love this project!!!
Happy Anniversary :)

Unknown said...

What a great tutorial! I love what you did to this plain, ugly, wood tree! It came out awesome! Love the wedding pic too!

Art By Wanda said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! I forgot yours is in October also. I LOVE the tree ornament!!!! You are very good with the details!!!!!!!!!

Nox said...

Love how you decorated the tree - very inspiring! That is an adorable pic of you and your sweetheart too - congratulations!

toni said...

Fantastic transformation will definitely be on the look out for something similar ! Love the photo of you and your hubby happy anniversary to you both xx

Susan Battensby said...

Fabulous tree, I just love all your work, you make it look easy but I bet that took some time!!
Thanks for sharing, must try something similar with stuff from my stash.

Kirsten said...

Belated happy anniversary to you both, hope you had a wonderful day.
I LOVE the tree, it is completely gorgeous.

Linda said...

Love this so much, Can I buy in a kit? If so where? Happy Anniversary to the two of you !!! Amazing how time flies, isn't?

stamping sue said...

great ornament. like all the techniques and products you used on it.
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Julia Aston said...

I would love to be inside your brain Wendy - swirling around with all of your fantastic creative ideas! LOVE this wooden tree - with all it's wonderful details!

thought you might like to check out my Halloween bottle - all done up with your orange blossom embossing powder!! here's the link to my post.
http://www.createwithjulia.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-vintage-journey-halloween-to-die-for.html

Lori said...

What an awesome project!! Love it!

Unknown said...

love it. i thought the O was a script O - never even thought it was a Q. Brilliant. Hope you and Rick have an awesome day enjoying each other.

Unknown said...

Beautiful as always!!! I was born 2 months premie myself & I have had no major issues (and this was waaaaaaay back in the day when no one could touch you) - blessings to the whole family :)

suzyb said...

Really love this Christmas tree. Love the fact you used a Q!!! You are right, there are NO rules. Thanks for sharing and keep on doing that!!! Love that you show what you are using, really appreciate that!
You rock and it shows.

Unknown said...

Love your projects and the products that you put out there.
Thanks for sharing!!

Bandon, Oregon said...

Oh Wendy.. This Tree is Wonderful... A friend sent me the link and said I had to see what you have done... So glad I stopped in...

The nearest Hobby Lobby is 4 hours away, one way... Is there anyway you can tell me the measurements of the boards?? I was hoping I could use some wood at the house here and make one...

Thanks so much,
Faith