here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, March 30, 2015

I LOVE Glue N Seal...


way back in 2011 I found a way to use distress rock candy crackle paint on glass...
you'll find the original post HERE...

this technique must be surfacing again, 
because I had 2 questions about it just last week...

so...
here's the updated version and another reason 
why 

first the basic info...

rock candy crackle paint was designed for porous surfaces...
NOT slippery surfaces...
it needs tooth to stay put...

if you read the original post, 
I REALLY wanted to be able to use it on glass...

since glass is NOT porous, it will NOT stay permanently adhered to the glass...
believe me...I tried...

but I found a way...

enter the MAGIC of Glue N Seal...

it goes like this...

choose any glass vase or jar...
it can be new or a recycled jar...
doesn't matter...




the best bang for your $$$ is to get the small jar...
it's super convenient, because it has a built in brush...

and the large jar to refill the small jar...
this is what I do for classes...

you can also use the large jar with a foam brush if you're working on a really large project...

oopsie...
I just checked...
looks like the small jar is discontinued...
so if you have it, 
KEEP IT...
just use the large jar to refill it...


paint a thin layer of Glue N Seal onto the glass...
no other prep is necessary...


it will dry & look just like this...


next, paint on a medium heavy coat of 
 set it aside to air dry...

drying time will depend
on your humidity & the thickness of the layer of rock candy paint you apply...

I would say mine dried in an hour...
I put it in a sunny window to help speed it up...
make sure to let it air dry...
do not use the heat tool...


when it is dry it looks like this...
you'll see
MAGIC awesome crackles
 that are firmly attached to the glass...

without the Glue N Seal base coat, 
the paint falls right off...

one other thing...
when I did the original post, I got several emails saying the technique didn't work...
after investigating, 
I discovered that they tried to use Multi-Medium as the base coat...
and it did not work...

Glue N Seal is the key ingredient...
and works every time...
look how cute...


in the original post, I added distress stain to add color...

since our kitchen is red, blue, green & off white, I wanted a simple blue vase...

I used my sky blue archival ink...

I tapped the blending tool over the vase & gave it a quick dry...
now it's permanently blue & adorable...

since this is a vase I will use for fresh flowers, I wanted to add an embellishment that would not be damaged if it got wet...

to pull in the red, I decided to use 

I tapped on some red geranium archival ink...



sprinkled it with 


& heated it to melt the powder...
 I like to use a hemostat to protect my fingers from the heat...


I added a remnant rub, using the new remnant rub tool...

then added a little ball chain...


and hung it on the vase...


a project like this is awesome because...

1. it's inexpensive

2. it can easily be customized to any color, using archival inks or alcohol inks...

3. it's 100% waterproof, 
so it can actually be used for fresh flowers...

4. it makes a great hostess gift, 
or a little gift for any occasion...

5. it's another way to use products you already own...

6. it's quick & E A S Y & so FUN...

7. it's a great way to upcycle...
look around & I bet you'll find something you can rescue from the trash...

8. I think these would be adorable, done in several pastel colors & used at each place setting for your Easter feast...

so, in addition to adhering your paper to surfaces with NO BUBBLES...

this is reason #112  

it's a great supply to have when you...

make art!
wendy


41 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Great sandals...lol!!! Man oh man do I just love your posts...always learn something new and always have a fresh twist on things! The vase is gorgeous! Thank you!!!

Turtle In The Sand said...

Awesome vase. I guess I am off to find some Glue and seal.

Turtle In The Sand said...

Awesome vase. I guess I am off to find some Glue and seal.

Candy Spiegel said...

Ordering Rock Candy Crackle now ...

Dorothy said...

Looks great!! Love the sandals!!!

Tona said...

You never cease to amaze me with the great projects you come up with!

Suze said...

As always another bucket list project to do....can't keep up with dishes & housework anymore!!!! Lov all I learn & learn all I love from You! Thaks for sharing!!!!!! Suze


Pam said...

I made one of these way back when you did your original post in 2011. Still love my vase. Love your idea to make them for Easter. You rock!

Gramma said...

I can not wait to try this. Thank you for sharing.

Julia Aston said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

One of my fav techniques, too, Wendy! I love to crackle glass :) Completely LOVE this vase--such a versatile home décor piece or a cool vintagey vase for a gift idea-That's sooo Wendy! :) Hey, that could be a catch-phrase! LOL :) Just Fab!! Thanks for sharing! XOXO-Shari

Kim said...

Awesome project! I can't wait to share with my daughter when she comes home from college this week. She loves glass bottles of all shapes and sizes and will love this technique.

SusanK said...

What a pretty way to adorn a holiday table!

Christina said...

Thanks for sharing this cool idea. I'm definitely going to try this! Love your sandals <3

Unknown said...

I will surely do this, love it

Rea' said...

It's fabulous Wendy !!

Becca Cruger said...

SUUUUper cool! The vase looks so amazing!

Helen said...

Looks great, really love how you added the colour and made it look even better!

Val-Belle said...

This is so cool and I have some really really ugly vases that could do with a face lift. Love this Wendy.

Jane said...

Oh wow Wendy this is brilliant. You are the Queen of ideas, thanks so much I will be making some of these. I can't wait to see what we make at the workshop in England in August ;o) xx

Elaine said...

Fantastic project. I loved it when you first showed the technique and it still looks fab. Keep the ideas coming!!

Craftychris said...

So cool! I will be getting some Glue and Seal! xxx

Wilma said...

Like your sandals ;-) The vase is just so cool. Cool as in: I have to try that myself . Thank you so much for the inspiration!!!

famillemarleau said...

Love the final result. Great tutorial. Johanne Lacombe

Janie said...

Love doing this technique. Cute sandles, by the way.

Lori said...

Love it! Are those the sandals you just bought, by the way? LOL

Jean said...

Oh my goodness! I need to get some of this product! I have some vases I would love to do this to!!!

Cafe Crop said...

Great reminder of a fun project. I have a tiny vase on the counter with handmade flowers from your original post.

We've been saving frappuccino bottles for a friend to decorate for an upcoming event - this might be the perfect way to upcycle them.

Kirsten said...

That is just gorgeous.

Vicki in MD said...

I missed the small jar of Glue and Seal??? How could that happen? but I do have the large jar and now off to find some of those bottles. Love this technique! thanks for sharing.

Marci said...

Another great technique. Thanks! The vase is very pretty, and so are your sandals:-))

Art By Wanda said...

I remember that first post!! This is such an awesome technique!! Thanks for the reminder!!

Kathy Eddy said...

Love this Wendy! Thanks for the step by step also!

Unknown said...

Got a couple glass containers yesterday that I'm gonna try this on.

Carol McCready said...

I love this technique. I knew I was keeping those plain glass vases stored for a reason.

Erika said...

Love it. x

Bharati said...

Great craft project! Just a couple of questions - at what point you added the ink (to the glue or the Distress Crackle Paint?)to give a color? Does it needs to be sealed with any other sealers such as clear acrylic or other sealers to protect from heat if the piece is used as a candle holder?

Brother Dave said...

Where can I get Glue N Seal? I don't see it at Hobby Lobby or Amazon.

Unknown said...

Just found this post and live the look of crackle glass, however, I can't find the Glue 'N Seal anywhere. I bought a crackle brand from Hobby Lobby but it doesn't work well. What are you or others using to achieve this look on clear glass?

Unknown said...

My wife has searched every where for Glue N Seal where can she purchase some Thank you she love the cracked look!!

Anonymous said...

The Glue N Seal is no longer available. Is there anything else that would work?