here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, March 13, 2015

the EGGstravaganza part 2...


in the previous post, I showed how to transform generic paper mache eggs into faux graniteware eggs...
you'll find that tutorial here...
but...
I only showed the finished sky blue egg...


today, I'll share how I jazzed up the tea rose egg...
the guy on the far right...

I wanted something different,
so I enameled some foliage flowers...

for this flower, I tapped on sky blue archival ink & dipped the flower into the coordinating
heated it to melt the powder...


 


I find a hemostat to be a really handy tool to hold tiny things when heat embossing...
it protects your fingers from the heat & the hot melted powder...
and small lightweight pieces aren't being blown away...



the 2 smaller sizes of the foliage flowers and one of the new heirloom roses got the same treatment with cornflower blue...
first the ink was added with the blending tool, then the embossing powder...
then the pieces were heated to melt the powder...


I'm thrilled to have coordinating colors...
this next photo shows how cute they are together...


I wanted the foliage leaves to be a little different...

if you watch this video from CHA, you'll see that the big jar of frosted crystal is pure magic...

by adding it to your stash, 
you DOUBLE 
you can add really cool TEXTURE!

that's why we introduced a larger jar of frosted crystal...
(plus the large jar price is great!)

so you can mix it with all your colored embossing powders & have enough!

I like to mix the frosted crystal in equal proportions with each of the colored embossing powders...

that also explains these fillable jars that 
are brand new...

they are PERFECT for mixing custom colors of embossing powders...

the fillable jars are also really nice for storage of small items like jump rings, brads, heirloom roses etc...

the leaf on the left is embossed with 
the one on the right is FROSTED fern green...
again...mixed 50/50...



you can see in the next photo that the fern green on the left looks like enamel...
it's very smooth & shiny...

the leaf on the right is embossed with frosted fern green embossing powder...

here's the differences...
you'll see really cool texture on the leaf on the right and you'll also see that it's not shiny and you can see that the color is darker...

both are cool and it just depends what fits the project best...
I like to have options...
and I like to combine both in a project...

 that jar of frosted crystal really is 
PURE MAGIC!

and in a future post I'll share how to 
use it over the 
it's a fun technique,
 with very cool results...


to work on my egg, I have it sitting 
in the foam adhesive roll again...
it's just the right tool 
so it doesn't roll around...

if you like to use clearly for art...
this adhesive roll is THE BEST adhesive to use...
THE BEST!

ok...
back to the egg...

I used an awl to start the holes and put some
 gel medium under the pieces for extra hold...
it takes a few minutes for the gel medium to grab, but now the pieces are nice & securely attached to the egg...


I added the other embossed flowers with 
screw eyes & I also added gel medium under them...

the gel medium is also holding the heirloom rose to the center of the foliage flower...


here's the finished faux graniteware egg 
in the trophy cup...
I like the screw eye flower centers!
they add a little dimension...


here's a closer look...
if you want a completely covered foliage flower, just add a second layer of embossing powder...
sometimes I do...
but sometimes
I like the texture you get with only one layer of embossing powder...


so this is PLAN B...
another faux graniteware egg, with some fun enameled accents...


the foliage flowers have been around for several years, but I still love them...
LOTS...
they will NEVER be out of style...
I just ordered 50 more packs for classes...

 it's cool to have the option to change them up with embossing powders and create embellishments that coordinate with your art...

think about some embellishments you've had for a while & give them a dose of archival inks & embossing powders to alter them...
it makes them look totally different...

***REMEMBER***

if it can take the heat of the embossing gun, 
you CAN emboss it!

again...
here's the CHA video that explains how the frosted crystal and colored embossing powders work together...

in the video I also show an example of custom embossing powder colors...

my favorite is one I like to use with 
and it's also great to use with hearts...

I like this combo of embossing powder colors...
a scoop can be any size you have...
depending how much 
volume of powder you want to mix...


it's one scoop of red geranium, one scoop of orange blossom, 2 scoops of frosted crystal & maybe ½ scoop of watering can...
these can all be adjusted according to your taste...
just add a little more 
if you want it more red...
a little extra 
if you want it more orange...

I used it on this project...


a closer look at the bricks...


and a really close look from an upcoming class...





I hope you're ready to
grab your supplies...

 have fun and...

make art!
wendy

23 comments:

Marci said...

Wow! Love these. How creative. Thank you for the how to.

stamping sue said...

that brick looks so real! I like it!
stamping sue
http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth said...

These eggs are my favorite! Cutest project I've seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Karen Petitt said...

Every little detail on the wall art is stunning! And I love the colours and embellishments you have used on the egg - they are fabulous and I so want to be able to make something similar - thank you for sharing them with us and for the awesome inspiration too Karen xx

Gramma said...

You always show techniques I would never think of. Love them all, thank you for sharing your talent.

Lisa said...

Another stunning egg!! And wow, the bricks look amazing!! Your techniques always inspire me so much!! Have a great weekend :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Sue said...

I think I might just like this egg better than yesterdays. Hobby Lobby tomorrow for me!!

Tona said...

Love, love, love this egg!
The combo you used on the bricks looks just like real bricks too.

Vic said...

Wow, I love your eggs! The mixing jars are a new fave of mine.

Unknown said...

I love that little brick house! The heart is awesome! Is that Watering Can ink with Cornflower Blue EP?

SusanK said...

If I can stop my current merry-go-round ride long enough I'll get in my room to play. But doesn't look too promising over the next few days. Oh heavy sigh.

Dot said...

So pretty!

Dorothy said...

I just love this!!!

Patty O'Malley said...

Awesome projects!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

It just keeps getting better and better! LOVE this, and I forgot to tell you I LOVE the trophy...totally transformation...awesome!

Kirsten said...

Blown away, yet again. These are just gorgeous.

Theresa said...

way cool.....

Wilma said...

Looked the video several times. My list is growing! You blow me away with your art and tips.The eggs are just B E A U T I F U L!!

Redanne said...

Thank you so much Wendy! I have been trying to find the right mix for a brick wall and you have shown us how! Amazing, it looks so realistic. Love the gorgeous egg too, I think this might just be my new favourite.... Anne xx

Art By Wanda said...

Wonderful!!!!

Carol McCready said...

Such fantastic techniques. Thanks for sharing.

Rea' said...

OMG ... love the egg with the rose OMG how clever... colors so pretty!
OMG the "Business of Life... " project ... LOVE IT !! Techniques are off the chain...
Okay I don't have those colors ( on punishment again) ... BUT I'm going to find me an egg and use what I got !!!

Becky said...

Love these two eggs...when do we get to see the yellow one?!? :)