here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, February 5, 2016

distress crayons on clearly for art...

is a cool inexpensive product
 that can be used many ways...

the clear and white work really well
 with alcohol inks...

the black CFA looks great 
with embossing pastes added thru stencils...
I especially like the metallics...
and I have a cool technique coming soon, using the clearly for art blackout with 

as you know, 
I love the clear (CFA) covered with 
that way you get the benefits of the strong, moldable CFA...
but you can add inks to a paper surface & see the true beautiful ink colors...

so when I got the distress crayons
I was hoping that they would be 
another product to use with CFA...
and it works...
IF you use plan B!

ok...I started with 




and I scribbled them over a 5 or 6 inch square piece of the clear...CFA...
and blended them with my fingers...



next, I placed the new "lots of dots" stencil over the crayons and wiped thru the stencil with a baby wipe, to remove the crayons...

tim demoed this at CHA & I LOVE IT!

the CFA is shiny & the distress crayons give it an amazing sort of a cloudy/chalky finish, but the shine is showing thru the dots for contrast...


I die cut some flowers...
and I wanted to show you that if you did want shiny flowers, mold them so the shiny side is up & the distress crayons are on the bottom...
either way works...
shiny on the right...
crayon side on the 2 on the left...



HERE'S WHERE I WENT WRONG...

I didn't put a base down on the CFA and if you really rubbed the flowers, the crayons did rub off...

PLAN B...

this works perfectly...

I started again with the CFA, but this time I painted on a thin layer of the 
new collage medium & let that dry...

I followed the same steps...

I scribbled the crayons & blended them, used the "lots of dots" stencil again & now the colors don't get rubbed off...

so it is very important to use
the collage medium as a base layer 
BEFORE adding the distress crayons, 
if you want to add them to CFA...

next...

I was wondering if the heat from the heat tool
 (I used to shape the flower, ) 
would affect the crayons...
it doesn't bother the crayons at all...
they remained stable...

so here's the page from 

LOVE this color combo!

if you enlarge the photo, those subtle vertical  lines are from the old wood floor stamp...
I misted rubbing alcohol onto my craft sheet, stamped into it & stamped over the page to bleach out the background archival inks...

see those dots right above "observation"?
 same thing...
I used the lots of dots stencil to remove some ink & create bleached dots...
this time I used the rubbing alcohol on 
make sure it's just moist...
NOT dripping wet/saturated...

were stamped with jet black archival...
I LOVE adding the lace border to accent lots of other borders...
for me...
the more detail...
the better...

the leaves/stem were stamped with leaf green...
those little leaves peeking out at the bottom are a small part of this stamp...

I added some remnant rubs to reinforce 

LOVE is from the new "just say it" background & it's sitting on a mat mini button...

a black mat mini heart accents the flower center...
here's the 4 ½ inch square page...



interesting things to note ...

yes, the CFA color on the flower is stable...
rubbing doesn't remove the color, because I added the base of the collage medium...

water misted over the flower doesn't bother the crayons either...

BUT...
if you mist with water & rub over the crayons,
all the color is removed!
these crayons are really 
a very unique product...

one other thing is that the crayons allowed me to add an adhesive tape strip under the flower to add it to the page & it does not show thru...

I think that's another big benefit...

ok...remember that GIVEAWAY?

CONGRATS TO the WINNER of 
BLOOMING ART...



Blogger Lisa said...
I would love, love for this stamp set to come live at my house!! I'm off to listen to the podcast!! Have a great evening !! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts
February 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM
 Delete





please email me, with your shipping info...

the crayons are lots of fun!

I hope you'll try them on CFA, 
when YOU

make art!
wendy




13 comments:

Debby said...

Another cool project! It would be fun to play at your house with how you come up with so many techniques!

Sue said...

I WANT, WANT, WANT those crayons! Your flowers are so adorable. Wonder what the crayons would do on the newsprint on CFA? Will have to try that when I get the crayons! 😉

jan metcalf said...

I can't wait to play with the crayons!!!

Linda T said...

Love the project you made. Love the colors you used. Can't wait to get a chance to play with the distress crayons. Thanks for sharing your tips.

Jenny Marples said...

As a CFA fan I'm thrilled to see how the crayons work. Thanks for the tip about sealing it first. Off for a 'Wendy day today' to Make Art :) Jenny xxx

Dorothy said...

Awesome info!! Thank you and concrats to the lucky winner!

Redanne said...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this technique with us, I am waiting patiently for my crayons, now I need some of the collage medium too! Hugs, Anne xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Genius!!!! LOVE the stencil rub away with the baby wipe idea!!! Fabulous!!!

Caroline D. said...

It all looks fun! Congrats to Lisa!

Deb said...

Well now I have another few items to add to my wish list, I've never used clearly for art but obviously I desperately need it! Lovely flowers Wendy and thanks for the tips on using the Distress crayons with the clearly for art! Deb xo

Art By Wanda said...

Way Cool!!! I'm looking forward to these crayons coming out and giving them a try!!! Congrats to Lisa on winning the stamps!!!

txcn363@yahoo.com said...

Dang, Wendy! You are so smart and it truly reflects in your work! I would have just thrown my hands up, when "Plan A" didn't quite come up to snuff...well, not you! Right away, you went for a "Plan B"!!! To use that doggone Collage Medium...stroke of genius! With all the different supplies we have, too. Very, very cool! I have GOT to try to find that attitude, within myself, when I'm trying to create something. You are very inspirational! Thank you, so much, for sharing your efforts! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Brava!
Oh! Congrats to Lisa, on winning the giveaway! (The first time we got to take a "sneak peek", at those violets, I knew I'd have be adding that one in MY WVSA cling mount stash! 😄)

Cathy - CMP Designs said...

Congrats to Lisa on the win!! And thank you again for an awesome project and now I must have some CFA in my supplies!! :)