here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, December 18, 2009

it's like the twilight zone around here...

first...
someone STOLE some December days...
HOW did that happen?
It's the 18th already????


SERIOUSLY???

That makes Christmas NEXT Friday...
Is my shopping done?
well...NOT EXACTLY...

YIKES...

Then I look outside & see this...
I couldn't open the patio door...
it's too frigid...
it looks like these guys escaped from Alfred...

or possibly a twilight zone episode...



I took this one from the office...
they're EVERYWHERE!!!

MILLIONS of them...



Better stop before we all have nightmares...
On to real business...
I have a guest artist for you!

Her name is Eileen Bellomo & she resides in NYC.
Eileen was the grand prize winner here of EVERY Ranger product that I used in my first book...
remember that giveaway?
Then I got to meet her in real life on the Mexico cruise...
She was wearing an AWESOME bracelet, adorned with grunge roses...
OMG...
Serious drool material!

So Eileen has been playing along with tim's 12 days of Christmas tags...
and...
she uses my stamp to make her roses...
First...her art...
then below, you'll find a great tip from Eileen...


She said...
Since I mostly make roses for bracelets, I came up with an idea for attaching them, and I used this trick here. Before adding the additional layers, poke a brad through the first (the largest) layer, then glue all the other layers as per the directions on Tim's blog. When it is time to assemble your tag, all you have to do is put a little hole where you want the rose, push the brad through, and it is attached....no glue, no waiting for glue to dry!
After my roses were fully assembled I did give them a quick spritz of spray....I used gold perfect pearls and water; no reinker because I only wanted to add sparkle to the paper, not change the colors.
I did add an additional layer (using part of the large flower from Wendy's Flower Art set) to the red rose. I also added a third rose. I use Wendy's flower from the Rose Art set to make my roses, and it is smaller than the flower that Tim uses. So I thought I'd need to either beef up my roses or add another. I guess I wound up doing both, though I don't love that added layer on the red rose. However, you can't really see the petals, and it does make the rose a bit larger, so it's OK.
I continued my Wendy theme by using the leaf from Rose Art and one of the flourishes from Flower Art; both are stamped on grungepaper, inked and cut out.
The tag is finished off with some bling as Tim did, and done!

Pretty cool huh???
THANKS Eileen for sharing your art!

And speaking of roses...
bigger IS better...

I'm just sayin'...I've been playin'...


I've been working on book projects...

I got some new ideas...

some different stamping surfaces for us...

FUN STUFF...

But...
I can't spill the beans just yet...and it's KILLING ME!

Happy weekend...
I need to get going and...

make art!
wendy

26 comments:

Debby said...

Those birds are creepy! Going to Chicago to see the Christmas market. Hope to make art over the weekend. Can't wait to see some peeks of what is new!

Lori said...

That's pretty coincidental, I just made the same comment about Eileen on my post today, lol! Isn't that the greatest tip? Bigger roses, I like it already! Dies, dies, dies....I'm just sayin'. Looks like you better not go out today, you might get your eyes pecked out! Yikes!

Anita said...

I agree that someone stole days. Christmas is coming too fast. The birds are creepy.

Elaine A said...

Hi Wendy -

Looks like you've got a flock of starlings that just love your place - LOL! They are actually blog spies hoping to catch glimpses of what you are working on! I'm with you about this Holiday. Like, where did the time go! I am nowhere near ready, I've never, ever been this far behind. Time seems to have just slipped away and I didn't even spend it playing with my art supplies.

Eileen's work is just wonderful. I follow her blog and she does some really amazing pieces of art. And her tip for the roses is just super.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Elaine Allen

Jeanne said...

I can't believe you don't have any snow on the ground! Maybe that's why you got all the birds...they can't find anything up here with the 6 inches that is NOT going anywhere, so they've invaded your place!

nonnie said...

Jeanne's comment is exactly what I first thought...where's all the snow??? Then I saw the birds....creepy is right. Loved the tip on the roses...sort of the "department of duh"...as in why didn't I think of that! That's what I like about the blogshpere...all the great sharing that goes on. I had to use copious amounts of glue to attach mine to my 12th tag - which was by far my favorite! all luscious shades of lavender and blue. Well, I need to go make art...I have the next 12 hours dedicated to finishing 2 books I'm making for christmas gifts...lucky me! have a great weekend...nonnie

Tona said...

Eileen's tag is beautiful.
They could film an Alfred Hitchcock remake at your house today lol.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me as a "guest" on your wonderful blog, Wendy!
I had a "duh" moment when I thought of the brad too, as in "why didn't I think of this sooner?"
I'm teaching a bunch of eager crafters how to do the GP rose bracelets tomorrow. Can't wait!
I only like birds in art. That many real ones in my backyard (if I actually had a backyard) would creep me out.
Everyone, have a WONDERFUL Christmas!
Eileen in NYC

AngieHallHaviland said...

WOWza, That is a lot of birds!!! :) I just love that you featured my friend, Eileen and her BEAUTIFUL Rose tag today :O) Lik you ... She makes lots of GORGEOUS ART!!

Donna said...

Wasn't there a movie about those birds? LOL Love the tag and the hint about the brad!!
Christmas is just around the corner, so Merry Christmas Everyone and have a Wonderful 2010~~!!!

Art By Wanda said...

Wow... have you ever had that many birds around before... amazing!! I'd be sitting at the window watching them. Congrats to Eileen!!!

Dawn said...

YEAH Eileen! You go girl! Congrats!
Dawn in MB SC

LieselPaula said...

Was that a Hitchcock movie? All those birds! love the tag and the rose. I'll have time in the new year to make some myself. At least I finished my cards and got them to the PO. Maybe a day to play yet.

Anonymous said...

SPILL THE BEANS OR WE'RE SENDING MORE BIRDS!!!

Erin Glee said...

Eileen raelly is THE Paper QUEEN! She lovingly rules the land of creative play using paper & rubber with an inked glove!
I live near Bodega where they filmed "The Birds". Don't freak me out with anymore!

slbt17 said...

wow, so pretty!
Sandra

Maureen F. said...

OOHHHHH -those birds freak me out - It reminds me of that Hitchcock movie with the birds - seriously freaky

Anonymous said...

I've yet to make a grungepaper rose, but I love the brad tip. Brilliant!

I also saw a big flock of birds circling today... in the middle of New York City. Maybe it's because of the storm coming tomorrow?

Kathy Eddy said...

Isn't she just so talented. I check out her blog every day and just love her style! This reminds me of my childhood when we would beg my Mom to watch The Birds and then we'd have nightmares for two weeks afterwards. LOL Kathy Eddy

Dawn (dmh) said...

Time flies when you're having fun!
Thanks for sharing Eileen's' tag with us. It is beautiful. I am doing the tags also and can use all the tips I can get. :) A friend has mailed some grunge paper flower shapes to me and I can not wait to get my hands on those. :)
Looks like I'll have to add that stamp set to my wish list.
Happy weekend to you too!
:)
Dawn

michelle said...

Love the brad tip and her roses are just stunning.

As for the birds they kind of creep me out too!

Unknown said...

I'm a big fan of Eileen's art too! Glad she got recognition here ... very high honor indeed! Happy Holidays Wendy & Rick!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Oh, the tag is scrumptious! And the birds? What are they? Geese? I love the watch birds.

Lynne Forsythe said...

Wendy...thanks for sharing Eileen's tag and comment....GORGEOUS....I must say!!! They are just one step better than Tim's cause they are patterned...just makes them pop!!....just sayin'!!

Vicki in MD said...

those roses and that tag are just beautiful. Thanks for the tip - can't wait to hear the news!

kngwd89 said...

Watching Alfred Hitchcock's movie, The Birds, at the drive-in picture show as a 10 year old did some serious damage to my psyche! LOL To this day I do not like to see a crowd of birds such as what you were seeing outside your home...one or two in a picture book...not a problem! Ha! Love, love, love Eileen's tip regarding the brad for the roses! Sure wish I had thought of that or read about it sooner! We used a ton of Glossy Accents to secure our roses to the wreath this past weekend. I can see the sale of brads soaring rapidly now! Tee-hee! Thanks to you both for fantastic inspiration! LeAnn