here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm skipping Thanksgiving...

and moving right on to CHRISTMAS...

I had an idea...
a unique way to use studio 490 art parts...
something a little different than the obvious...

I wanted a gift card holder, that was something more than just a plain old gift card holder...

something the recipient would keep...

how about an ornament gift card holder??


I started by randomly spraying my small art parts frame base (3 1/2 x 3 1/2) with with tim's (very addicting) color wash...
this is the red pepper color wash...

I dripped a few drops of water on & then dried it with the heat-it tool...
thus the worn looking spots...


to create this you'll need the following art parts pieces...

2 small frame bases, a small frame & a small scallop trim...
the secret is to trim one side off the frame ...
like this...


the tree is stamped on grungepaper, cut out, inked with forest moss distress ink, then embossed with tim's dot-matrix alterations embossing folder from Sizzix...

I actually used the back of the grunge...
the canvas side added more texture...
I liked it...

ahhhh...
this is the perfect embossing folder for a Christmas tree...
kind of looks like ornaments!


by layering the cut frame between the solid bases,
you create the perfect hiding spot for the gift card...
make sure the cut end is @ the top...



here's what the slot looks like
without the gift card...




I think this will be for my niece for her December birthday...

hopefully, she'll keep the ornament...
but in reality, I'm expecting her to give it back & tell me to fill it for Christmas...
yep...
that's what I think will happen...

other key ingredients not mentioned above...
my background stamp is unevenly stamped with Ranger's coffee archival, to create a worn effect...

everything else is stamped with jet black archival...

that would be...

tim's cute bird stamp...I LOVE this mini set!



text on the scallop...

the scallop was sprayed with espresso color wash & misted with heirloom gold Perfect Pearls Mist...
(THE perfect color combo)...trust me... I LOVE it!

then embellished with tim's long fasteners...

I used the gold paint dabber to edge the scallop & to paint the mini grungeboard stars...

rock candy distress stickles add a bit of bling to the barn door inked holly berries...

before assembling the art parts, I glued a charm clip (small side) between the layers to hold the bauble with a jump ring...

oops...forgot to say I distressed the edges with tim's sanding grip...

this is a quick & simple idea that can be adapted to any occasion...
for a guy or a girl...

and speaking of art parts...
I'm happy to relay that they are...

today I'm off to work on new stamp designs...
and new art parts too...

we gotta have fun new supplies to...

make art!
wendy

40 comments:

Helen said...

I love this, it is amazing. I wish I wasn't at the office ("working") but at home making art!! Can't wait for the new colour washes....

france papillon said...

sorry for the mess, 'caus i'm drooling all over your blog. that's how yummi i think this is!

Cim Allen said...

I have to get some of that color wash .. I'm sure I can find somewhere to put it with all my other goodies in my room ! Love the idea .. brilliant as always. Since I love shopping I might just have to buy ME a gift card to practice :) LOL

~* steph :) *~ said...

fabulous project, wendy! love the concept of gift card holder and ornament in one! very creative and i love all the embossing and stamping. thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day! *hugs* steph :)

Debby said...

Thank you for this great project! Way cool way to hold a gift card and then have an ornament for the tree. Both of my kids are older now so this will be a great way to give them a gift card or the all important commodity--CASH!

Julie said...

Those embossed dots are way cool and really make that tree!

ScrappyPam said...

Very clever! I may have to steal this idea - it's brilliant (and it looks fabulous, too)!

Unknown said...

Very cute! Now you've got me thinking....

Kathy Eddy said...

This is adorable Wendy and what a great idea! I think you are right, she will give it back to be refilled for Christmas!

Larissa Heskett said...

WOWOWOWOW!! So HAPPY to see another post!! Makes my day, and the project couldn't be more AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for sharing and I can't wait to make one!! Thanks again and have a FABULOUS DAY WENDY!! =)
P.S. So excited about your new creations and can't wait to see them!! =) YEAH!!!
Larissa Heskett =}

Anita said...

Stunning! What a great idea!

Elaine A said...

Wendy -

What an awesome idea and such a sweet looking project! Way to go and your niece sounds like mine - LOL!

Elaine Allen

Tona said...

Another fantastic project.
Lol at your niece handing it back to you & asking for a refill.

sue said...

That is a great idea. Now if I can only fine where I put my art parts, I can make art.

SusanK said...

What a clever girl you are! That certainly would be a unique way to give a gift card...a gift within a gift.

Diana said...

i love it!! but of course i love everything you do

slbt17 said...

very nice - you amaze me!
Sandra

Bethan said...

love it, love it, love it!!!!

Liz in MO said...

Oh my that is stinking cute! A much better way to give a gift card. Thanks for the idea.

Candy Spiegel said...

too cute!

Hels Sheridan said...

FAB FAB FAB art as usual Wendy... I too am skipping Thanksgiving... cos we don't do it over here in the boring "no holidays" UK LOL However, if we had Thanksgiving I would skip it with you so I could make some Christmas art like what you did :O)) Wanted one of those kits... am so going to have to raid the box if ancient old decorations...which is.. erm.. still packed up after the move (seven months ago) and in the loft, knowing my disposition of being clumsy, I think I will send Grim up there otherwise there might be a leg sticking thru the ceiling ROFL Have a grand day hun xx

Marijane said...

What a darling ornament/gift card holder/and keepsake all in one! On the back you can personalize it with a message, the date, etc. Who wouldn't love getting this?

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I like more - skipping Thanksgiving or the new holder LOL. But I do know I like coming home to a Wendy package in my mailbox!! I got my package today, and am still squealing with delight at all the yummy stuff you packed inside ;-) I can't believe how generous you are - I'm going to make art this weekend (did I mention I have a juicy 3-day weekend coming just at the right time)....thank you from my toes to the tip of my nose - YAY!!!

Linda R said...

NO NOT ANONYMOUS!! I hit the wrong button ;-)

RMarijaR said...

I like the dual purpose gift! The inside and the outside! Nice combination of elements. Thanks for the beginning of the week inspiration.

Dawn said...

Beautiful Wendy! You have done it again! I love the embossed tree the bumps really do look like ornaments! Cant wait to try it
Dawn in sc

Karla Anderson said...

I have been making gift card holder all week - but never thought about using Art Parts - great idea. Mine are out of paper and look like stoickings, mittens or stocking caps - cute but not as great as yours.

Kim Costello said...

Wow Wendy you're an inspiration, this is a darling idea, I love it as a gift and an ornament! I'm skipping thanksgiving too with the whole UK thingy!!!
HAD to stop by and thank you for your wonderful comment I think I squeeled with delight that you found the time to stop by! I love using art parts, they're totally fabulous!!!
Thanks again and looking forward to your new stamp designs!!!

BiG HuGs Kim :)

Dorothy said...

Such a clever idea! Love it!

jan metcalf said...

Your tree is adorable Wendy!!

Art By Wanda said...

The most amazing gift card holder I've ever seen!!!!

Vic said...

Wonderful idea!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Wendy - I NEEDED a great idea for a gift card holder and voila.... you gave an amazing one!! I will be trying this out as soon as I get home from work. They don't let me make art here :(

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Fabulous! I wouldn't mind at all getting one of these for Christmas!

2amscrapper said...

love this project--seems I give a lot of gift cards these days. Thanks for the great idea for a holder to "hold on to".

Lori said...

Awesome project, I LOVE it! And as always, thanks for sharing the details on how to create it!

linda said...

I love this! What a great idea and I think I'll give it a shot for this year!

Thanks!
linda

Unknown said...

Great idea Wendy! I'm always looking for new gift card holder ideas I can teach my students. Love it! Stephanie

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Ooh stunning! It would make a wonderful Christmas card holder too - I've just had an idea of how to use it as one. Thanks for the inspiration :-)
Anne xx

Justme said...

I particularly like this post not just for the wonderful artwork by the way, but for something that's been in my head, WOW the HOLIDAYS and all that they require are TOO close together, and so many get frazzled, overwelmed or depressed to downright exhausted trying to do all that you are SUPPOSED to do or WANT to do for each!! I think the idea of working on projects early is a great idea but I always seem busy trying to keep up with current ideas and work! So at times I just go no mail so I don't add more to my imaginary needs and actual wants. I'd like to relax and enjoy the Holidays and artwork! I haven't achieved that yet.
Donna