here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, February 25, 2011

art brings to life...

what the mind can only imagine...

happy weekend friends!

as promised...
here's a fun little project using some of my fav products...

clearly for art (aka...CFA)...


tim's adirondack color washes...

Ranger's Adirondack pigment inks...
some stamps...
and more...

I'll show you how to make this...


sometimes I don't want my (clearly for art) CFA pieces to be clear...
but I do want the embellishment to be strong & unbreakable...

there are several different ways to change the look...
from clear to opaque...
today I'll show you how to use pigment ink...

start with a piece of CFA...
the size is determined by what you are stamping...

this is a good way to use up scraps...
this mini butterfly is perfect...

ink the CFA by tapping the Adirondack pigment pad onto the surface of the CFA...
I used butterscotch for the butterfly...

lay it on the craft sheet & dry with the heat it tool...

apply a second layer of color with the pigment pad...
then dry again...

ink the butterfly with jet black archival
& stamp onto the butterscotch inked CFA...

dry again...
so the image doesn't smear...

then cut out the image...

because the pigment inks are opaque,
if you heavily apply the pigment ink over the stamped image it would cover it up...

you can get a very clear crisp image by inking the surface first...
then stamping...
with jet black archival...

now lay the butterfly back on the craft sheet...
heat until it softens, then pick it up & shape it...

don't like it?

lay it back on the craft sheet & heat it again...
and again...
and again...
clearly for art goes completely flat every time...

shape it until you are 100% happy...


the background was really fun...
I covered the art parts base with this manila card stock
it's the same clay coated material as the tags,
but it now comes in larger pieces for larger backgrounds...
it's a great durable surface...

it's lightly misted with red pepper, sailboat blue, lettuce & butterscotch color washes...

dried it...
then over stamped it using coffee archival with the circle background...

I distressed the edges with walnut stain distress ink & the blending tool...

were stamped with jet black...

the tiny attacher holds the film strip ribbon in place...


and a closer look...
the colors blend & look great!


next...
the heart was inked with barn door distress stain & then stamped with my fav medicine label, using jet black...

I lightly sanded the edges with the sanding grip & added a bit of walnut stain with the blending tool...

the scroll/leaf art part was inked with meadow color wash, dried & stamped with this background, using olive archival...

the mini art parts flower was inked with faded jeans...


now just assemble the pieces to look like this...
don't forget the spider!

and add a foliage leaf under the mini flower...



the new distress stains & color washes are both PERFECT for laying down the base coat of color on art parts...
it's VERY fast & oh soooo easy...

I always blast them with the heat tool to dry...
after inking them...

then just go back & add distressing to the edges with the blending tool & distress ink...


STOP THE PRESS!
I just got an email from Heidi that the NEW STAMPS, NEW ART PARTS & Clearly for Art BLACKOUT have arrived.

and...
Preorders have shipped...

YIPPEE!!!

THANK YOU TED & Michelle &
all the folks @ STAMPERS ANONYMOUS...
we appreciate your hard work & quick shipping...
CHA was less than a month ago!
AWESOME!

have a wonderful weekend...
I plan to...

make art!
wendy

31 comments:

Kathy Eddy said...

This is so pretty Wendy and I might have everything to try to imitate it if I change a few things for what I have. Thank you so much for always sharing your talent and creativity with us.Have a great week-end! Snowing again here in Wisconsin!

Erika M. said...

I just love what you created - thanks for sharing!

Scrapthat said...

The background looks fantastic...as does the rest of it but I love the colors you oicked and how the BG ended up! TFS!

Hels Sheridan said...

oooh, fabbulush art Wendy... am LOVING the CFA - said that before I know but... it is PERFECT!!! Have a grand weekend xx

SusanK said...

Looks like fun! Hope to get some new things next week so I can play along!

Tona said...

Another fantastic project!

Tara c said...

I am loving the new project!! I am still waiting for your art parts to hit my LSS -- I can not wait between them and the distress stains I don't know what I'm going to do first!!! Wait they go together!!

TheLastOfNine said...

I like how you add something unexpected, like the spiders, very cute.
Gloria

Debby said...

I love this!!!!!! Might have to order some more stuff. I am going to go broke!

Helen said...

Got to get hold of some CFA it looks amazing. Your art here todayis simply sensational.
Hope to play - sorry - make art - lots this weekend.

rhonda said...

I know that when I visti your blog I am going to see eye candy! Your are amazing Wendy and I hope someday I will get to meet you and take a class!

Vic said...

Love it! Thanks for the great ideas!

sue said...

Thanks for the tip on pigment ink and CFA. I love working with it.

Elaine A said...

Hi Wendy -

This is just lovely and I really love the sentiment. Thank yuo so much for your tutorial on how to create this piece.

Elaine Allen

Cim Allen said...

Love the project ! I can't wait to play with the color washes and I'm really wanting to play with the blackout clearly art ... I must go shop now and buy me some goodies! Happy Friday Wendy !

Dawnll said...

What a fun piece and love that you share the steps.

Art By Wanda said...

Wonderful piece!!! and it's always nice getting the step by step!!! I do intend to "make art" this weekend!!!!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Great project... except for the spiders. There is NO WAY I'm going to put a spider on anything I create. Eeeewww!

Diana said...

i too plan on spending a couple of moments playing this week!!!
love the new piece of art!

Dorothy said...

Love the art!!!

funkycrafter said...

great project. i really like the background.

Anonymous said...

luv this type of background..now I know how to actually create one! yeah...ty girly! xo cher

jill said...

I do believe that the CFA will be a must have.....splendid project Wendy!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Ah, this is fabby and thanks for the how-to's!

lois Skiathitis said...

I'm anxiously awaiting the ink stains so I can make quick CFA parts art too. I agree it will be a breeze coloring with the new stains. I think the stains are a perfect partner with the CFA parts. Your project is gorgeous Wendy and so easy to put together. TFS!!! :-D

Gillian .... said...

I'm offically hooked Wendy, just received some art parts and new stamps, omg I'm in love:) Loving your work.

jan metcalf said...

So very pretty Wendy!!

linda said...

What a beautiful project Wendy. Can't wait for your new stuff to arrive!

linda
http://scrappedtreasures.com
Ranger Certified Ink & Embossing
Ranger Certified Perfect Pearls

Karen Goulet said...

I LOVED the techniques for the butterfly. It is adorable and... Thanks Wendy!

whyducks said...

Lovely

Unknown said...

What a great project! I just love the pic of the finished background with all the colors, the filmstrip ribbon, and the subtle background stamping! I want to use that for the base of all my projects! lol