here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, February 6, 2015

foiled & fun!

I've done a total 180 degree turn on foils...
I went from...
don't need them to

100% ADDICTED...

let me start at the beginning...

maybe a year ago,
 Ranger sent me these foil sheets...
there are 3 different packages...

when I first started stamping, 
I bought some leafy metallic stuff...

what I found with the leafy thin stuff was that it was very annoying...
it seemed to have so much static that it was sticking everywhere...
I was not in love at all...

so when I got these 3, 
I thought about my past experience &
I admired them & put them away... 



this past Saturday I had a play day...
I posted the project here & that's what prompted getting out the foil sheets...

if you read the suggestions on the package,
you can add an adhesive strip, remove the protective paper on one side & add it to a tag...
then remove the top release paper &
 press the foil onto the adhesive...
the dull silver side goes onto the adhesive & the color is on top...


and you get this really nice foiled border...


the foil sheets also work well with

just ink the stamp with an ink that will hold the sticky powder in place, then stamp & sprinkle on the powder...
then heat just until the powder turns clear, 
then quickly press the foil onto the sticky powder...

let it sit for a bit & then start rubbing over the stamped image to release the sheet from the sticky embossing powder...



the result is a stamped foiled image...


you can also add the adhesive strips to a
cardstock scrap & cover it with foil...


then die cut or punch out foiled embellishments...


now back to my Saturday play...
and how I came to LOVE these foil sheets...

I had added translucent embossing paste thru the old ledger stencil on several areas of my canvas...

I liked it a lot...
but I kept thinking that if I could add TINY bits of metallic, that would really be cool...
I didn't want paint or gold embossing paste...

I didn't want lots of metallic...
I just wanted some random shiny bits...

remember those foil sheets Ranger sent?

if you look at the next photo, I placed the foil sheet over the dry translucent paste & used my fingernail to add the foil to small areas of the embossing paste...
since the paste is raised, it's easy to feel where to rub...
and the foil sticks really well!
F A B U L O U S!


once I figure something out...
I can't stop...

(kind of like the faux graniteware & the splattered plaster)...
I know...you're thinking poor Rick!

so...
the next photo shows the foil added to the label pull...
I had added a thin layer of 
to alter the label pull...
so now that I figured out that the foil will stick to embossing paste,  I knew I could add foil to the edge of the label pull...
it's the perfect highlight & fits right in with the vintage grunge effect...
the additional color made a big difference...
it appears to have texture, 
but it's completely flat...


the next photo shows the wood frame from the project...
that too had been covered with 
a thin layer of gold embossing paste...
so it was simple to foil just the edge...

I found it so easy to lay the foil in place,

the slanted end is awesome for foiling...


the next photo shows another tiny area that I foiled at the bottom corner of the canvas...




and I couldn't stop, 
so I randomly foiled the edge of the canvas...





you'll see that I used several different colors of the foil...
the canvas holds the foil securely in place...


this is EXACTLY the effect I wanted...
it's not "in your eye bling"...
it's very subtle & vintage-ish...
but you do notice it...

I also added a little foil to the thin part 
right above the word...
that really helped to make it more 
rusty looking...




by now I'm really on a roll & I was looking for other things to foil...
this is why I didn't make dinner...

I decided to add little bits to 
 I used the new mini glue stick & added a few small areas, then pressed the foil over the wet glue & let it dry...

when it was dry, I ripped off the foil & dripped on some mushroom alcohol ink...

the mirrored star looks like this......
just a little rusty & crusty...
I am in LOVE!


hang on...

there's more...

I grabbed a black tag, then
with the vintage quilt stencil & let it dry...

when I designed this stencil I thought about being able to add 2 colors...

but that would take a ton of masking...

since I have no patience...

on to

plan B...

I placed the foil over the dry paste & used my finger to rub over just the embossing paste dots...

tada...multicolored!

and a new technique is born...

foiled embossing paste!


oh yes...
there's more...

I used a black tag again...


and added the 

it dries & looks like this...


I used several colors of foils again...


and got this really fun background, 
with just a hint of metallic...
it's the perfect starting point for tag art...

black tags are really cool to use 
with the pastes & foil sheets...


and just one more for today...
sometimes I want to accent a stencil or in this case, a lace border stamp...

the random worn foil is again,
exactly what I wanted...

I laid the ruler in place, then put a foil sheet over it, then traced along the ruler edge 
with the slanted end of 
(I LOVE THIS TOOL!)

you can make the line solid & perfect...
or more worn like this...
it's a tiny detail, but it makes a big impact!



I am now 100% addicted to these

there is no static...
there is no mess...
and there are multiple ways to use them...
I like that they can be made perfect 
or vintage & worn...

I'm...in LOVE!

I started to wonder...
do they stick to 
no!

BUT...

if you mix 
 with the colored embossing powders (50/50 ratio) it does!
the texture is the key!

I linked to 
this gives us enough to custom mix it with all the embossing powder colors...
that little jar of magic powder will DOUBLE our embossing powder colors!

I'll be sharing lots more about embossing powders soon, but in the meantime
you can learn about this
by watching the video that was filmed by ScrapTime at CHA...
just click the link above...

I hope that you got 
some ideas from this post 
and that you're inspired 
to grab some foil sheets and...

make art!
wendy
ps...we have a NEW distress color being announced TODAY...
can not wait!

EDIT!
say HELLO to the beautiful new



40 comments:

Scrapthat said...

Looks and sounds like fun :D tFS
and I CAN'T wait either!!

Carole M. said...

Wendy, your explanations not only make me smile while I'm reading them, your explanations are FABULOUS!!! Thank you SO MUCH for your "sharings" with us.......keepers all!!!

Patzee said...

Brilliant! I felt the same way about the foil sheets I used in the past. Thanks so much for being adventurous and sharing the amazing results!

Gunilla/Nilla said...

Sitting here watching your video with a paper and pencil.
Have to write down everything I "need".
Great video...I LOVE embossing and archival inks too. Use it alot.

Have a lovely weekend//Gunilla

SusanK said...

SOLD! I have a container of the fluffy stuff that flies through the air with the greatest of ease...definitely needs to be replaced with the Ranger sheets! Shopping here I come!

AngelkissesbyLinda said...

Wendy your creativity puts my head spinning. I may not have everything you use but it helps me to create with what I have and thank you for that. I always love your projects.

Billie Dee said...

That looks fantstic! Thank you! Now I need to add this foil to my stash!

michelle said...

You are a creative genius! Love this!

Dorothy said...

Ok...that's gorgeous!!!!

Julie S said...

But did you really explore what you can do with foil sheets? ;) LOL. Everything looks amazing!

Becca Cruger said...

Wow! What a crafty experimenter you are! Thanks for sharing all these cool things!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

WOW...what an exciting post. I love the mirrored star and the foiled embossing paste! Thanks for the fun..

jezebel said...

Thrilling! Just need to win the lottery and quit my day job!

Keely said...

Wendy, Thank you for sharing the learnings from your play day!! Looks like the possibilities are endless with the foil. Can I just say, I LOVE the new coral color!!!!!!! HOME RUN Ranger!!!

Redanne said...

Thank you for sharing more wonderful tips, I think the vintage colours are so beautiful, love how you used them.

Abandoned coral? Wow.... Anne xx

Tona said...

Ah, you are such a clever girl! Love the look of just a bit of foil. Thanks yet again for the inspiration.

Janie said...

Love it!!!

Jean Bullock said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. The creations you made are wonderful. Looks like I've got me some shopping to do.

Anita said...

Awesome tips! Great ideas! Now to find mine.

Lori said...

Very cool!! I have some foil sheets from eons ago...somewhere..will have to try with the paste, it looks great!

Art By Wanda said...

I have a drawer of foils that haven't been touched in way too long... time to remedy that!!!! Way cool!!!!

Lisa said...

Oh wow, I love the foil!! You are so darn creative!! Love all of your tips!! Have a great weekend :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Marci said...

Thanks for experimenting and showing us what you discover. Love that frame at the top of this post. Well, I love the rest, too. :-))

Vic said...

I love the foil, too. Endless possibilities, TFS yours.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

STOP IT!!! You are driving me crazy. I have no time to play and you are making me want to run to my craft room and find that vintage transfer foil I have somewhere. All these examples are TOTALLY cool

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean said...

Wow - so cool. Love all the ways to use this!

Sue Speck said...

I have foils up the kazoo and have almost never used them. NOW I will! These ideas are terrific and I thank you so much for sharing them. Of course, I'll have to pull myself away from the Splattered Plaster first . . . what a winner of an idea that was as well. Thanks, Wendy, for being so amazing!

dyeandpigment said...

These foils sound like fun. I'll have to check them out further. BTW, LOVE the new coral color.

Becky said...

You my friend are such an enabler! Now I have to have foil sheets! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Nice foil ideas! And yummy new distress color!

Lisa H said...

Wonderful!! i wouldn't have thought it would stick to the dry pastes etc. And great tip on using Frosted Crystal in with the embossing poweders. thank you!

Kim said...

Now I have to find Ranger Foil Sheets...love your tutorial Your posts are always so much fun! Beautiful examples

Julia Aston said...

Wow - love how you've used the foil sheets here - I'm printing out your post for reference as there's so much to take in!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE that it sticks to the Embossing Paste...going to do that soon! Thanks for discovering it! I also found out it sticks to wax, but shhhh don't tell! LOL!

Craftychris said...

Mega cool! xxx

Pam said...

Fabulous tips! Loved the video, too.

Unknown said...

I don't have any of these sheets, but I just might have to get some to try them out! I pre-ordered my new color already, so I'll have to remember in the March order. Keep reminding me! Haha

Carol McCready said...

Great post. Thank you for sharing way to use that foil.

Love the new color.

Kathy Eddy said...

love all of your foil play and this gorgeous new coral color is perfect for me! Always had a love for coral!