here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, February 2, 2015

mixed media canvas...

I decided I NEEDED to have
 a play day on Saturday...

just for me...

just for fun...

no agenda...

no assignment...

no supply list...

no instructions...

that was THE PLAN...
it's still my hobby & I LOVE it...

and that's how it started...

I had so much fun

and I made this...



I couldn't wait to use the 
 that I brought home from CHA...
thanks tim!

she's plain white right from the package, but I altered her with archival inks to look like this...

I added her shoes with a black sharpie & then used a q-tip that I moistened with rubbing alcohol to make it bleed...
that made them look more vintage...
she is so cute!


I was looking for some small wings & discovered that the leaves from the idea-ology poinsettia set fit her perfectly...
I used hot glue to attach them to her back, after I tapped on some gold metallic embossing paste to the front of the leaves...


I had pulled out a flat 6 inch square canvas to use as my base...

my original plan was to wire her onto a smaller canvas, that I would then add to the 6 x 6...
but...
 sometimes things change and a better idea comes along...

in the photo below, 
on top is the original 2 ½ x 3 ½ inch canvas...
below that is the cute frame that is left after I pulled off the canvas & added some 

by removing the canvas, the background shows thru & it seemed to be more cohesive & less bulky for the 6 x 6 canvas...


I had an extra leftover "hosta" 
sitting there...
have you tried the newsprint 

the hosta was just the right size 
to pair with the salvaged doll...



here's the background...
since I hadn't planned this to be a tutorial, I don't have all the layers, stamping, stenciling color details...
but I think you get the idea...

I'm sharing this because I got this email last week...

"can you suggest a gameplan to create a collage background like I see on your art journal pages? mine seems like things were dumped and have no rhyme or reason".

this simple way seems to work for me...

 briefly, it started like this...
I used the splattered plaster technique as the first layer...
YES...the technique works great on canvas...

then added the tree branch 
stenciled alphabets in 3 spots...

I used larger alphas on the left & the smaller on the right...
repeating is good...
if you look, they form a triangle...

it might be hard to see, but I added 
to just parts of the stenciling...

you'll also see 3 areas that were stenciled with translucent embossing paste...

I think using 3's & the triangle placement helps make the background cohesive...
and keeps the eyes moving...

once I knew where the mini frame would fit, I traced around it with the stabilo pencil & smeared it with my finger...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new chain stamp...

the frame will cover up the unconnected area...


I thought I'd share this too...
after I had my little word collage in the bottom right corner...
I think the mix of fonts is fun...
but some of the words can be used year round...

the top needed something...
I had considered "journey", 
but it seemed too large...
so I chopped the remnant rub apart to make a new word...

YOUR...

it was a perfect fit space-wise & 
it complimented the word collage in the bottom corner...

I also cut the word LIFE away from "explore" to use alone...


here's a better look at the salvaged doll...
I might be prejudice...
but I think the hosta is adorable & so is she...

the heart was cut from 



did you notice the subtle metallic accents on the background, the canvas edges & on the frame?

I had some fun unexpected discoveries using Ranger's foil sheets...

trust me...
they are SUPER fun...
I have a new addiction...

here's what's happening this week...

I'll be back here on Wednesday &
I'll also be on the Ranger blog with a full tutorial...

on Thursday the new "make art challenge" will be announced...
I hope you can join us...
we had awesome entries for the first challenge...
(and there is a PRIZE)...

and then...
back to the foil sheets...

 I plan to be here on Friday & I'll share my foiling discoveries then...

while Rick is out there plowing us out for the 3rd time...
we got 15 inches of the white stuff...
with yucky 6 foot drifts in some spots...

I'll

make art!
wendy
ps...background stamps, sets of stampsstencilsmagic mat board & SiSi's have SHIPPED & are in stock now...

check your local stores or the highlighted links will take you to some online shopping spots...





31 comments:

Cec said...

This is fantastic. I love the colours, the little frame of goodies and the wonderful stamping. Glad you had a chance to just play - and your mojo was intact at the time. Mine never is when I want to just have fun :(
Hugs!
Cec

Becca Cruger said...

Gorgeous! Yummy textures and amazing sentiments. You are so talented!

Debby said...

Love your canvas! Today we have a snow day so maybe later on it can hold some precious art time. Not much time for that lately. It has been a zoo lately!

Linda said...

Love this Wendy, all the different textures is gorgeous !!! I love Tim's new little girl she will be a must have for a couple of projects I have in mind. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent !!!

Dorothy said...

Absolutely stunning art!!!!

Rea' said...

I so love how you play ! Love what you did with the doll to "vintagefy " ( probably not a word) her is awesome... and the wings ... brilliant ! Oh and the remnant rub "trick" ... love it !!

Caroline D. said...

Just gorgeous! It shows that you love your job and hobby. It's wonderful you get to do what you love... enjoy it (and keep sharing all your creations and tips with us!)

Wilma said...

Oooh wow, his is absolutely awesome. Love love love it. And the doll she is so cute with her wings.

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Absolutely stunning!! Love your style, Wendy

Tona said...

This is fabulous! I'm glad that you had a play day just for you.

Janie said...

I LOVE this canvas. The saying is awesome.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

OH MY GOSH...You had me at the wings! SHE is glorious! Love the hosta too! WOW oh WOW can't say enough about this! PINNED!

Art By Wanda said...

I LOVE it!!!!! You play so well!! :) I guess our 10" of snow isn't so back, huh!!!

Deb Smith said...

One of your best. The little angel is the cutest thing. You go girl!

Vic said...

Fabulous canvas, adorable angel.

Unknown said...

You make me feel so lazy .... done looking at the snow and feeling bad for not getting outside. Time to move it to the world of ART! Thanks for the kick in the pants!

Helen said...

Fabulous - what a great way to spend a day!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely Wendy love the mini frame acting like a shadow box. The little Charlotte doll is adorable as is the little Hosta . Gorgeous. Tracy x

Jenny Marples said...

Quite simply wonderful. The altered background works perfectly with that precious doll and of course the hosta. Thank you for encouraging us all to play. Jenny x

Kirsten said...

That is wonderful, I love the little doll.

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful canvas Wendy! love how you dolled up the doll!

Lisa said...

Oh wow, this is amazing!! The texture is fabulous!! I love the little doll - so pretty!! Love this!! Have a great evening :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, even without all the detailed pics,it's still a good tutorial. Lots of gorgeous stuff.

Heather said...

very very fun, love how it all came together! beautiful

Katy said...

Love this! The frame is so cool and I love the salvaged doll! :)

Unknown said...

Fabulous, love the cute doll.

Jean said...

This is just fabulous! Love your background and all the details!

Carol McCready said...

Fabulous canvas. Thank you for sharing.

Redanne said...

Where do I start - the background is gorgeous and I love the way you 'dressed' the doll, she looks beautiful and you are right the hosta looks just the perfect size. A really gorgeous little work of art! Anne xx

mamablitger said...

Wendy I just LOVE and adore this. It's fabulous, awesome and terrific. Gosh how much talent you have. I'm so grateful that you share your art with us. Thanks a LOT !
Hugs from Monica... Spain

Judy said...

I love this project. Thanks for sharing how you put it together.