here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Thursday, February 5, 2015

it's all about LOVE...

 begins today & the theme is 

HEARTS/LOVE...

it's a nice broad theme...
so however you choose to interpret it will be cool...

here's my contribution to the challenge...

first of all...
remember...
there are no rules in art!
not every Valentine needs to be red...

I started with a 3 x 4 ¼ inch manila cardstock scrap & used the splattered plaster technique with tea rose archival & a tiny bit of tree branch...

you can read about

after it was dried, I used jet black to 
stamp my sentiment...



I inked some gold wings with 
then embossed them with 

the wings start out like this...


it's a simple 
total transformation...

and with more embossing powders to choose from, we have more color options...


the next step was to ink 
with tree branch & stamp over my card...


it looked like this...


I used brushed corduroy to ink over the whole card...



then used watering can to stamp 
watering can is awesome when used with jet black...

you can see that in the next photo...

the jet black sentiment really pops...
and the flourishes are in the background, 
right where they belong...



I inked the chain stamp with watering can & stamped it between the flourishes...


the heart below was cut with 
it's a Sizzix die...
it's cut from the 

the heart was inked lightly 
then stamped with 
using watering can...


to add more layers to the background, I used the new vintage ledger stencil 
with tree branch archival to stencil random areas...
sorry for the glare...
my studio has skylights, which I LOVE, but they sometimes are annoying for photos...



you'll see that some areas are light & some are a little darker...

 that tiny addition of the stenciling makes the background much better...
every detail matters!


I added my card to a slightly larger black cardstock panel, then to a coordinating cardstock base...

using the new remnant rub tool...
(I'll show you a new use for the tool tomorrow)

I used a mini fastener to add it to the wings & heart...
I also like to use a mini fastener at the top of the chain to make it more realistic...
now it doesn't appear to be hanging in mid air...

glue it together...

this is the result...





here's a closer look...

I love the different textures...
the "plaster", the heart, the embossed wings
peeking out from under the heart...
it's a very simple quick creation, 
but the multiple textures make it special...


so that's my non traditional Valentine!

I had several questions to answer...

#1. I have the adirondack snow cap reinker for my ink pad. can that be used with glacier white, if it's the same ink...

YES, you can. NO PROBLEM, since it is the same ink, just rebranded with a new name...


#2. what is the size of the stamp in the new faux graniteware starter set? I'm not sure I need another one.

   it's about 1/4th the size...
I wanted to include a stamp with the mat board & instructions, to make a complete kit to get you started with the technique...

this mini sized stamp is so nice for working on small surfaces & especially curved surfaces like the glass vase I showed in the previous post...

here's a photo to compare them...

is on the left & the new mini is on the right...



#3. Have you tested other inks to see if they work with the splattered plaster you showed us?

   I had the big idea to try the technique using the metallic distress spray stains...in my mind, since like the picket fence, they too have pigments, I thought I might get "metallic" plaster...
BUT...
sorry to report...
it did NOT work...
at all...NO clumps...
NONE!

so don't waste your time...

some experiments work...this one didn't...

stick with the picket fence...
it's magic & it works every time!

as far as other brands, I'm familiar with Ranger products & that's what I use & LOVE...
so...I really don't have any other info to offer...

#4. I got the foil packet for Christmas, but have no idea what to do with it. how does it work? do you have any examples of how you've used it?

ah yes I do...
that's tomorrow's blog post...

stay tuned!

#5. THANK YOU for the faux graniteware glass tut. I'm on it. One question. How did you prep the glass?

I did not prep the glass at all...
 I've done it on multiple glass surfaces...
tim's corked vials was the original test piece, 
since they're small...
it has worked perfectly every time...

HOWEVER...
I'm thinking that if you're recycling something...
possibly a salad dressing bottle or something that is oily, maybe a make-up bottle,
then I'd make sure to wash it to remove the oil...

if you read the instructions on the Ranger blog, you'll see that you need to use archival ink...
if you use embossing ink under the embossing powder, it will peel right off...

my new motto is...

EMBOSS it...
DON'T TOSS IT!

or maybe...

DON'T TOSS IT...
EMBOSS it!

that's it for today...

I hope you'll join the challenge...
there is a PRIZE!
our sponsor this month is Linda, 
owner of the funkie junkie & she's giving a $25.00 gift certificate to a random participant!

don't forget to visit the Ranger blog  & enter to win a set of my new archival inks & embossing powders...
they are choosing 3 lucky winners!

make sure to read the intro...
there are several ways to enter...
more chances to WIN!


now it's time for me to...

make art!
wendy



28 comments:

Dorothy said...

Beautiful Wendy!! I will attempting this challenge as well!!
Stay warm!!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Very inspiring project and post Wendy. I am in for challenge :)
Thanks for reminding, every valentine art need not be red :)

Felicia said...

Love this new set!!!

Lori said...

Very cool piece!! Now, why didn't I wait to enter my heart tag till this month?? lol.

Julie S said...

How do you come up with these ideas? You, my friend, have a mighty powerful muse. Beautiful inspiration piece!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous crd Wendy, love all the different textures and elements you added , I love layers in a card design . Tracy x

Becca Cruger said...

Such a cool, textural Valentine!

SusanK said...

'Tis the season for hearts...and I love 'em! Any color, any size, any which way! And I have a free day to just play! Yay!

Sue said...

Gorgeous tag! Love all the different elements.

Linda said...

Love this !! It is gorgeous, thanks for sharing !!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous! I love those wings and the background! I will do my best to join in!

Artyjen said...

Fab card...but I love the granite ware look even more ;)
xoxo Sioux

Rea' said...

Awesome card... great tip for the background stencil !

Lisa said...

Amazing and so gorgeous!! I love the wings!! As always, you inspire me so much!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

grammypat said...

Very nice card --in fact I may attempt to make a wall hanging of it for my hubby's office. Thanks for the inspiration

Wilma said...

Oh yeah, i love this card and know just the right person to make it for. Thank you Wendy!!!

Vic said...

Love your Valentine!

Debby said...

So cool! I hope to enter the challenge this month. I have an idea so just have to create it! Thanks for sharing your techniques!

Becky said...

"Love"ly art today. (heh. get it? heh.) Just got my graniteware starter kit and the 6 original embossing powders..YAY!! Is Ranger going to make embossing powders for your other 6 colors? Oh please, oh please? And like NOW?!? :) 'Cause I NEED them. a lot. yes. :)

Redanne said...

I have started on your motto, don't toss it, emboss it and am well and truly hooked! I love your new creation, the wings look fabulous and I do love the non-traditional colours you have used too. Anne xx

Julia Aston said...

Another beautiful design Wendy! Your background is wonderful - love the orange color and lovely embossed wings!

Kirsten said...

This is so gorgeous. And I love that it's not in traditional Valentine's colours.

Carol McCready said...

Fantastic valentine. Thank you for sharing.

jan metcalf said...

Your valentine is fantastic! Love those wings!

Unknown said...

Absolutely LOVE everything about this card, Wendy!! Once again, I need EVERYTHING that you used to create this gorgeous card!! XOXO-Shari

Judy said...

Love your non-traditional Valentine! What a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

mamablitger said...

Wendy I love your tutorials and your art. This alternative Valentine is no exception. Like some of the above sweet people mentioned : I feel I need all of the materials you showed. Gosh...this is awesome.
PLEASE can you share where I can find this fab wings ??? I have been hoarding all kind of wings for a while. But these look just perfect.. Please ??
Thank you for sharing your lovely and inspirational art.
Hugs from Monica... Spain

Jenny Marples said...

Completely in love with this design Wendy. It's always a joy and education to see what you've done with your creations. Thank you for continuing to share. Jenny x