here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Thursday, April 1, 2010

10 Q & A day...


I have no art photos that I can share today...

I just did a "top secret" project yesterday & that will be the post for Tuesday of next week...
stay tuned...
it was FUN...
and TUESDAY will be fun!

Since I have no good photos, today is Q & A day...

1. I saw tim's dies @ my LSS but the birdcage only had the cage, not the bird, I'm confused & the owner wasn't sure.

Whatever is shown on the package label is actually cut by the die.

We had this question quite a few times in Columbus...the package only has the cage sample, but TRUST me...

you get the bird & wing too.

Same for all the other dies...

the heart has the wings & the crown too...even though you don't see the white samples in the package.

2. I have a question, probably one you have already answered, but here goes...what is the difference between distress inks and pigment inks?

The distress are dye based inks...they are transparent.

The pigments are opaque. Most pigment inks need to be blasted with the heat-it tool or they never dry...

HOWEVER...Ranger's pigment inks are unique because they are a fast drying pigment. They will air dry in about 10-15 minutes (when used on porous surfaces) but they can also be blasted with the heat-it tool to speed up the process...if you are impatient like me!

Since we're talking about inks...
the Archivals are essentials because they are a waterproof ink.
So, once dry...they won't smear and any waterbased product can be used over the archivals...

3. i bought your acrylic cover, but I'm affraid to start...any tips?

Here's what I do...

and YIPPEE...
I just got the new small size in Columbus...

I hope to play & get 2 of them done...
small is REALLY cute...

Anyway, here's what I do...

First, choose your background paper & lay it UNDER the cover, but don't glue it yet.

Glue your embellishmens on the front of the cover, then turn the cover over & it's simple to see where the adhesive is.

Just add adhesive in those spots to adhere the paper. That way all the adhesive is hidden.

4. I can't use Tim's chains without smashing and distorting them. I see that you use them for hanging things. What's the trick?

Here's what I do...
just stick needle nose pliers in the link & push the link further down on the pliers.
The further down it goes, the more it opens the link.

Then I squish it shut with the same pliers.




5. Do you keep a journal or notebook and jot down ideas as you think of them or when its time to create do you just go at it? If you have already addressed this I can look through older posts.

For new stamp ideas, that's what I do. I have a folder on the computer where I jot down a word, a saying or an idea.

For projects...basically I wing it...I work as I go.

6. Why do they call that chipboard heart a chipboard coaster? I read the link and the description says it is a Maya Road heart coaster album. Do you make albums with these coasters? Do you have any examples of coasters as an album?

That's just the name given to that product category by Maya Road.

The coasters are joined by ball chain & have 6 pages...there are LOTS of fun shapes available.

They have lots of other categories like binders...

Another category is "TRINKETS"...which are the embellishments like the pins, buttons, flowers etc.

You certainly can use all the pages to make mini albums.
I've done quite a few of them...

I'll look for some photos later...or you can look thru some older posts in the meantime.

7. still wondering how many sets you will release in the summer...

I'm not exactly sure. What happens is when the images are finalized, I print them out, cut them apart & see what fits together...

and how many I can squeeze on a storage sheet to make it a good value.

We're getting close...real close.
I'll let you know when I'm certain.

8. is there any chance you will make your books monthly...or i'll even settle for bimonthly?
the more the better for me. i'd rather buy tehm than magazines, since you teach us tips.

YIKES! I doubt it...it takes pretty much time to write the instructions & it's my least favorite part of the process.

For now, my plan is to print one with each new stamp release...so there will be a new book...twice a year.

9. is the cage really cut from grungeboard or is it grungepaper?

The sample I posted is grungeBOARD...REALLY!
TRUST ME!!!

10. Ok, when you attach the wire on the bottom with the tape, do you put something over it to cover up the wire? I think that tape is double sided. It's just shaped so nice

I used a piece of floral wire under the horizontal part of the cage. I used wondertape to attach the wire & to attach the cage to the base.

The grungeboard holds the shape really well...but I added the wire for a little more stability, since it will be traveling a lot.

Here's a little tip for going green...
Save the clear packaging from tim's dies...

I use them to mail dimensional cards...they provide great protection...they're free & you're doing the green thing.

You can also stamp on it (archival)...like my bottle or use it to die cut something...

Now this is NO APRIL FOOL...

One of my favorite new releases is tim's memo pins...

So as a thanks for leaving a comment...
these people win a package of memo pins!!!

FOR REAL...NO APRIL FOOL THING!!

Send me your snail mail info & we'll get some out to you...

Congrats to...

Chirpin Is Fun said...
Awesome bird cage...well cages! Love to see what you do with "stuff". The sun is shining today in central Illinois...is the snow going to stay away for a while? I sure hope so. Thanks for inspiring us to make art!
March 30, 2010 10:45 AM


kkaisu said...
Heading to Michaels to find that birdcage....lol. Awesome ideas as always.
March 30, 2010 1:44 PM


denise said...
Love hearing about the new things coming this summer.... so fun. Love the projects today too. You are amazing.
March 30, 2010 9:36 PM


Dorothy said...
Love all your art Wendy!!!
March 30, 2010 4:38 PM


Comments are good...
I'm just sayin...

Now I'm off to...

make (acrylic binder) art!
wendy

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I miss seeing your art, I really enjoy your Q & As. Very informative.
Congrats to the winners of the memo pins!
Eileen in NYC

Elaine A said...

Hi Wendy -

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions and explain techniques. Really appreciate it - also appreciate all your links to the different items you write about. Congratulations to all the winners.

Elaine Allen

Kathy said...

Thank you for all of the inking tips. It helps to make our art projects more successful. Any chance that your new book will available at the carson convention in July? No pressure, I am excited about the new book.

Tona said...

Congrats to your winners.
I always learn a lot from these question/answer sessions...

Cher said...

thanks for the info! congrads girls...u are really lucky cuz NO ONE has these pins yet around here! have fun! can't wait for the new releases! and a book! whoohoo!

Unknown said...

Thank you Wendy love the Q&A's. I always learn something new.
Sue

Lori said...

Love the Q & A, congrats to the winners! Can't wait to see next Tuesday's post!

Helen said...

I wish it was Tuesday already - even though that would mean the holiday weekend is over and I'd be back at work. Sounds intriguing. have a great Easter, Wendy. (and everyone!)

Linda said...

Love the Q & A's! Looking forward to Tuesday's FUN and seeing your "top secret" project!

Congratulations to the winners of the memo pins!

Linda

Evonne said...

I just ordered the Bird cage die this week, can't wait for it to arrive. I'll be checking back here again for more inspiration.

Dawn's Creative Chalet said...

Hiya Wendy!
I just wanted to stop by and check things out.. I link your blog to mine so I can see when you've updated. I love when you do the question and answer stuff.. it is very helpful. I was out of town yesterday and FINALLY found the magazine(Stampers Sampler). I was estatic!!! What a great write up they did on you. I just love it. :) Your ROCK, girl! I hope I bump into you before December at HH - maybe Ill get to sumemr CHA if anything.. to browse around.. we will see! You take care.. and thank you for all these great helpful tidbits!

Hugs
Dawn who is just north of ya in Michigan.. and David says hi too!

Kate Burroughs said...

Love the idea of more new stamp sets. I am slowly but surely buying most of your stamp sets. They really grow on you! Thanks for the Q and A.
Aloha, Kate

Julie said...

I can attest to the going green by using the clear packaging from Tim's die. I received one of those clear packages from Wendy not long ago for leaving a comment and getting picked for a prize. Attached to one side of the clear package is a very cute label stamped with Studio 490 images and the label edges were colored with gold. Great way to send cards and such through the mail! Thank you again Wendy for the prize and the going green idea!

joy said...

Great Q & A session, Wendy! You are very generous with your tips and techniques and I, for one, need all the help I can get!

Congrats on the winners of the memo pins. Am looking forward to next Tuesday!!!

jan metcalf said...

You are wonderful to answer all the questions!

Dawn said...

congrats to the winners!
Dawn in SC

Hels Sheridan said...

Is it Tuesday yet please??? Cannot wait to see the Top Secret piece you have been making...can;'t you do just an ickle sneaky peeky??? Plllllease??? :O))

Happy Easter hunny xx

MA said...

Your spread in the Stampers Sampler is fantastic. Got my copy today. I also own many of your stamp sets and both books.

QUESTION: I have heard about Metal Effects. Can you tell us exactly what items you used to get the rusty look. I've been to sites that carry it, but don't know what to buy.
TIA ...

2amscrapper said...

I read each and every question and its answer--I don't want to miss a thing. In addition to youe bottle, now I have to have the birdcage.

nonnie said...

congrats to all the winners...itÅ› so fun to get a surprise package in the mail! Thanks for all the q and a. Looking forward to Tuesday. Happy Stamping!

Anonymous said...

Love the Q & A days! There are usually at least a few questions I also have. Can't wait until Tuesday for top secret stuff!

I found the metal birdcages at Michaels (50% off) and bought the two that were left - that's one for me and one for a lucky friend/family member. Thanks for keeping the excitement going. Marijane

Deb Smith said...

Learn a lot from your Q&A. Ever think of compiling a book with these tips in them? Would be a big bene for many of us.

Art By Wanda said...

Lots of great info in your answers!!! Congrats to the winners!!

Chirpin Is Fun said...

I think in my excitement of winning a prize...I didn't press the save or something! I thought I left a comment...
Anyway, glad you get to go shopping and thanks again for my prize...loved the package! I do stuff like that, too, but not nearly enough! Hope you have a great day shopping! That seems to always inspire you! And then we get to see new ART!