here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, October 11, 2010

more pigment play...

I've said it before & I'll say it again...

the more I play with Ranger's pigment inks...
the more I LOVE them...

it's fun using the pigments to alter metal...

if you want to play along...
you'll need your non stick craft sheet...

Ranger's heat-it tool...


distress inks...with blending tool & foam...

distress stickles...

and some of tim's idea-ology foliage...

for the example below I tapped the snow cap white pigment pad onto the foliage leaves...
dried it with the heat -it tool...
added another layer, then dried it again...

***remember that heated metal gets HOT!***
just saying...
trust me...

after it cooled, I used the blending tool & added some forest moss over the white & dried it again...

I ended up with this cool color...




I like that you can vary the final result by changing how much pigment you add to the metal...

for the next samples, I used my FAV snow cap white to create a shabby chic look...



here's a better look...

the flower on the left has just one coat of white...

the one on the right has 2 coats, for more coverage...

and the foliage leaves have 2 coats...

after the leaves cooled, I added some the new pumice stone distress stickles...

my favorite of the new distress stickles colors...
at least for today...




the red pepper is awesome on flowers...



here's red pepper on the left & sail boat blue on the right...
I like that the pigments dry to a great matte finish...
which makes them perfect for the vintage look...

but...
if you want some shine...
it's easy to add Glossy Accents over them to create more of an enamel look...
we have LOTS of possibilities here...


the pigments make it so quick & EASY to create any color of embellishment you need to coordinate with any project you're working on...

you'll notice too that the pigments do not stain your hands...

and speaking of hands...

it even removes alcohol inks & adhesives...
take a few minutes to play with the pigments...you'll have fun!

did I tell you that I'm off to see the queen this coming weekend??

NO>>>NOT the queen across the pond...
THE queen in the USA ...
@ Queen's ink in Savage Md...

the Ranger class is full with a waiting list, but last I heard there were just a few openings in the other classes...
I hope to see some blog friends there...

Next...
THANKS for all the comments on the last post!
You made me laugh lots...

I'll be sending a craft scrubbie to...


Blogger Dorothy said...

Nice try...I read every word. I love your blog!!

October 9, 2010 4:24 PM

and...
those new stamps will be living with...

Blogger WheatLDee said...

Of course I read to the end of your post even the small print. I have to see how you use make art, it's like the "Good Night Gracie" of Blog Land. Now about those stamps....
I have a wonderful stamping/crafting room with very friendly stamps just looking for that special set to join us for inky fun. Your stamps in need of home would feel loved and welcomed!

October 9, 2010 11:58 AM

ok...time to get going...
there are instructions & photos to print...
new stamps to design...
(OMG...I'm LOVIN them!)...

then maybe...
just maybe...
I can squeeze in a few moments to...

hmmm...
I bet those altered idea-ology embellishments will be just right for some art parts fun...

I GOTTA...

make art...
wendy
ps...anyone NEED book #3?

36 comments:

sue said...

I can't believe I am the first to post. Just started playing with the pigment inks. Love the idea of using them on metal.
Sue

Scrapthat said...

LOVE the inks on the metal! LOVE that you can then match up the distress inks! VERY cool!
TFS! *note...must buy a snow cap!

Meme said...

Your funny Wendy~I had to go get my glasses this morning...Ha ha!
I need more pigment inks, for sure! Thanks for having the best poasts!

Cim Allen said...

What a cool idea. I love the white with the distress stickles, I love the look it gives. That sailboat blue is one I will have to put on my list .. very pretty color. Thanks Wendy

Erika M. said...

Very cool techniques - thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

HELP!! WHERE can I find those Adirondack PIGMENT REINKERS??? I have a really cool idea for using the ink but can't seem to find them at Simon Says Stamp or Eclectic Paperie. And a BIG Monday Morning HUG to you Wendy!!

Andrea - Wales, UK said...

Wow...great technique, must go and give it a go. Pumice stone is my current favourite.

A.x

Elaine A said...

Hi Wendy -

I love the way the pigments cover the metal pieces. What a nice vintage look you get. Thanks for all the tips.

Elaine Allen

Congratulations to the winners!

Kat said...

wendy, this is such a fab tip, I am going to get straight on to altering metal stuff,
congrats to the winners, you lucky ducks,
Kathleen.

Linda R said...

I'm loving all these ideas. I'm going to use them today ;-) BUT I NEED BOOK 3 in the worst way ;-) pretty pleaz ;-) hugs.

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
Saw Ted from SA at Medina Stamp show!!! He's awesome!! I love your new stamp sets!!!
Thanks for the info on the pigment inks~~LOVE the Red Pepper!
I have your other books,so I REALLLLLLLLLLLy need bok #3
Have a great day!
Karen S.
Ohio

redmom said...

I haven't had a chance to play with Ranger's pigment inks....and had no idea they would work on metal! Very cool looks, thank you for sharing! Now I'm adding these to my ever growing wish list!

Diana said...

NEED is not a strong enough word!!! i would love to have book #3. You are my scrappy queen!! i love EVERYTHING you do.

SusanK said...

Have all your new toys and this week I'll be playing when I can in between company and regular life activities. I really need some art room time with NO distractions...I gotta get dh traveling again! LOL

Debby said...

Thanks for the tips on the pigment inks. Will have to make some art time this week or for sure this weekend!

Helen said...

What a cool effect! Will be sure to try this one. New stamps..... already! Haven't saved up enough for all of this release yet, lol.

Tona said...

Love the new look you gave the metals.
Congrats to the winners.
I'm going to have to get a magnifing glass to set by my computer to read your teeny tiny writing lol.

Liz in MO said...

Wow, that is so cool, who knew??? and I definately need a book 3 !

slbt17 said...

Yep ... lots I need, wish list a mile long - book 3 is right up in the top 10!
Thanks for the tips!
Sandra

Tracy Evans said...

Wow the pigments really work well on metal, love it, especially the white combined with pumice stone. I definitely need book 3, not purchased it yet. Have a lovely day, Tracy Evans x

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Love the stickles over the inked leaves. You continue to amaze me.

Karen said...

Great pigment ink tips! and book 3 would be a great addition to my library! :)

Marijane said...

Pigment ink on metal is a wonderful look - all variations! My favorite of the samples today though would be the white ink (2 coats) with distress forest moss on top. Love the vintage metal look!

~* steph :) *~ said...

what a cool technique! the end products look amazing! thanks for sharing and have a great week! *hugs* steph :)

Michelle N said...

I need it, I need it, I REally, REAlly NEEEEEED it!

Unknown said...

I really like the look of the pigment ink on the foliage! Guess what I'll be trying tonight!

Dorothy said...

I am so excited!
Thank you Wendy!!!
And yes, book 3 would be nice!!

Larissa Heskett said...

CONGRATS GIRLS you will love the scrubie!! Thanks Wendy for the awesome info I just love your little tutorials!! Have a great day!! =)

Lori said...

Great ideas with the pigment ink, a much under used product, especially since they're sitting next to the distress inks...lol...Love them on the metal foliage, great ideas from the mistress of grunge!

Art By Wanda said...

Awesome that the pigment inks work on metal... duh, of course they do... I'm such a dip sometimes, lol. Congrats to the winners!!!!!

Karen said...

Fabulous. I have GOT to get some of that Pumice Stone Distress Stickles: I love that real worn stone look.

Betz61 said...

Love the matte finish. The red is very vintage may have to use in one of the cook books I'm working on for christmas. I always thought that adirondacks were dye inks did they come out with pigment ones also??

Unknown said...

Love the look of the pigment ink on the metal - didn't know you could even do that. Thanks Wendy for helping me make art!

Roxanne said...

Would love to get your #3 book. I need the inspiration! I can FEEL the inspiration! yes, Yes, YES!!!!! (Back away from the craft table for a minute.....)

Anita said...

Stunning! Great tips!

Suzanne Bouchard said...

Thanks for the opportunity to learn. I was not that familiar with the pigment inks from ranger. Thanks!