here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

still playing with pigment inks...

but first things first...
stop the press!!
here's the answer to the dozen+++ emails about where to find
Ranger's Adirondack pigment ink re-inkers...

they have been ordered & will be in stock soon @ Simon Says Stamp.

I will update here as soon as I hear that they have entered the building.

See...
I TOLD you that you'd like these pigments...
trust me...
wait 'til you see what's coming later in this post...
and next week...

I had this little idea yesterday...
(I should have been writing instructions & making kits...BAD GIRL)...
but I HAD to try it...

I haven't had time to play with Claudine's gesso, so I have very little experience...
(ok...like NONE!)

now I didn't want to waste an art parts piece incase the idea didn't work...
God forbid...waste an art part!

so my base is a 4 x 4 canvas...

I painted the canvas with an uneven coat of Claudine's gesso...
(I'm newly in LOVE!!!)...

I wanted the canvas primed,
but I also wanted to add a bit of texture...

I intended to let it air dry & get then back to kitting...

but MS. NO PATIENCE...
that would be ME...

decided to blast it with the heat-it tool to speed up the process...

once dry, I swiped a big dose of butterscotch pigment ink on the left side of the canvas (right from the pad)
& a big dose of sailboat blue on the right side...

using the blending tool with foam, I swiped & blended the colors together...

much to my surprise, they dried almost immediately...
interesting indeed...

here's the result...



I thought I could quit there, since the idea worked...

but I was HOOKED big time...

so I added some vintage photo distress ink around the edges to age it...
isn't vintage photo PERFECT for EVERYTHING?
thank you T!M...


remember this is a canvas with a wood frame, so only the edges got stamped...
just what I wanted...
to create a frame effect...

I'm LOVIN this...



those little sailboat blue lines were another fun thought...
just a small detail...

I tapped Ranger's craft scrapper onto the pigment pad & used it as a line stamp...

some days ideas are good...
some days...
NOT so much...

the colors looked like they needed a butterfly, so I stamped her on the back of grungeboard...
I only wanted the butterfly shape, not the polka dots...

and inked her with butterscotch pigment & the blending tool...

I used jet black archival to stamp the butterfly again on "clearly for art"...

heat set the ink & then shaped it...

it was looking like a botanical exhibit...

tim's curio knob looked like a body to me...
and what butterfly doesn't need a mini grungeboard crown?
remember...
there are NO rules in art!

here's the finished piece...


this shows the curio knob & the "clearly for art" butterfly a little better...

I poked a hole in the canvas & just screwed the knob right thru the clear, the grunge & the canvas...
perfect...



this was sooooo much fun that I could hardly contain myself...

I am now a self proclaimed...
Claudine's GESSO ADDICT....

as a matter of fact...
I was up @ 4:30am today to prime some GRUNGEBOARD with gesso...

this WILL be fun...
I just put some denim pigment on it...
so far so good...

stay tuned...

until then...
make art...(& get yourself some gesso & pigments!)
wendy
ps...I'll be showing another pigment play day result next week...
yum!

45 comments:

SusanK said...

Love days when you get sidetracked and the new stuff works like you'd hoped! Gotta go get messy!

Debby said...

What a cool idea! Love what you came up with. Have to play with that stuff this weekend. Have a great weekend at Queen's Ink. What is the frame you used from? Is that a grungeboard frame? Might have some of those.

Donna said...

I love it when a thought comes together! I love gesso! I have not yet tried Claudine's thoough. Do you think I would love it more?
Thanks for sharing! You can get sidetracked any day!

Helen said...

This is just wonderful. I hope you get sidetracked again soon!

Julie said...

Girl! You are amazing! and yes I have heard about that Claudine product and how great it is. Guess I gotta try some of that gesso too!!

ellen vargo designs said...

I took Claudine's on line class this summer and totally fell in love with gesso AND paints in general - can't stop!! Welcome to the wonderful world of gesso!! LOVE the canvas you did - can't wait to try the pigment inks over gesso - brilliant! See you Saturday!! hee! ~ ellen. xx

Betz61 said...

Love when you try new things for us. So lovely. The knob sure made a great body. Love when an plan comes together.

Elaine A said...

Wendy -

I love how that little canvas turned out! What a great idea for gifts. Love the color combo you chose also.

Elaine Allen

Diana said...

I NEED TO FIND SOME GESSO!!! will it work on wood i wonder?

Unknown said...

You made this sound like so much fun...I'm thinking I might have to go home and actually DO something with canvas rather than keep staring at it... (I usually work in digital, but want to start transitioning to canvas.)

Thanks for the tips! ~a new follower. :-)

Nancy said...

LOVE this! And I love Claudine's gesso - ok, love all of her paint products! (And I bet if I finished the online class I also took, I'd love 'em even more! *lol*)
Where did you find your antique flower frog??? I keep looking for one ... maybe I should put out an APB on my blog ... lol
Have fun in MD!

Unknown said...

Your enthusiasm is contagious!Loving your venture into gesso and your butterfly exhibit! Sweet!!(as my kids would say) Can't wait to see the next installment of Pigment Play. Thanks Wendy - have an excellent inky day!

Tona said...

Omgosh! I love this & you just gave me an idea of something to try. I've been needing something over a doorway. Wouldn't a row of 3 of these canvases look too cute? Hmm, I think a trip into town will be in order tomorrow...

Dawnll said...

I love using Gesso and have to hide it from my husband.He has found many uses for it also

Larissa Heskett said...

SO AWESOME!! I LOVE IT!!! I too like the gesso and I have used it on tons of fun things. I also like to mix it with other mediums!! It is so much fun to work with!!=) Well can't wait to see your other work and as usual thanks for sharing with us!! HAVE A GREAT HUMP DAY!!
Larissa Heskett =)

Vic said...

Fantastic!

julie m said...

i like the colors on the gesso. and the completed canvas project is great. now, i'm thinking, make the butterly without the crown and with the curio knob and it could be used as a knob for drawers/doors of art room storage. not sure how well it would open but it sure would look fine.

Unknown said...

Oh I love how it came out! I have a canvas that I have no idea what to do with it...now I have a million ideas! I have never used gesso before but am looking forward to buying some and using it! Thanks!

Art By Wanda said...

Totally awesome!!!! I really do love the canvas!!!

Erika M. said...

That is freaking awesome!

octlove said...

lovin' the look of this...the "fig A" label just adds the extra oomph:)

Dorothy said...

That is one excellent canvas Wendy!!!

slbt17 said...

Wonderful Wendy!
Did you ever think that when you were thinking about what you would do when you really grow up you would be having sooo much fun?
I must admit I am jealous!
Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

such a great idea!!! u rock! xo cher

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Awesome project.

Lori said...

Awesome art! Love the scraper as a stamp, very cool tip. The effect of the background just on the edges is very cool as well...love the whole thing. How many times did I use the word "cool" in this comment? lol!

michelle said...

I so want to play right now but it is late and the stores will be closed before I get there. I must remember to read this blog first thing in the morning!

Liz in MO said...

Ok, it just keeps getting cooler and cooler!!! Hey, got to tell you a funny story. I orderd me one of those handy dandy scrubbie thingys, because I am such a slob and my hands get to looking like I'm psycho or something. So anyway, on with the story! I opened my Simon says stamp bag today, and I was expecting a BIG thing to scrub my hands with, IT is so cute and small!!!!! I love it. I started laughing at myself, because I had expected it to be huge! Oh well... it was one of those moments where you might have had to have been there :>))).

Liz in MO said...

Ok, it just keeps getting cooler and cooler!!! Hey, got to tell you a funny story. I orderd me one of those handy dandy scrubbie thingys, because I am such a slob and my hands get to looking like I'm psycho or something. So anyway, on with the story! I opened my Simon says stamp bag today, and I was expecting a BIG thing to scrub my hands with, IT is so cute and small!!!!! I love it. I started laughing at myself, because I had expected it to be huge! Oh well... it was one of those moments where you might have had to have been there :>))).

Lisa Phillippi llelsik@aol.com said...

Super Stinkin Cute! I totally love it!!!

Daniele said...

sounds like you was having so much fun with your new found art toy, and the finished result is amazing

Kaye said...

I've been working on income tax return for 6 hours and needed a break! Came to see what was happening with Wendy...so glad I did. What a fabulously fun project!

Sew This N That said...

lol, I am always getting sidetracked when I should be busy with something else....at least you had fun babe and the canvas looks awesome :)
*hugs* Heather x

Cindy Trobaugh said...

Your butterfly work of art is very cool. The gesso made all the difference in the wiorld!

Kate said...

Oh i LOVE what youve done :0) So fab that it all worked so well for you.
Kate x

Hels Sheridan said...

OMG this is just totally DROP DEAD GORGEOUS... that Curio in the body - inspired!!! The crown ... even more inspired!!! Tis PERFECT! Thanks for sharing your inspirations Wendy *now, someone distract her while I snick in and snaffle that divine canvas LOL* xx

Anonymous said...

Wow! How gorgeous. I've always loved gesso and the way it changes what goes on top. I have a ton...well, maybe a gallon, but not Claudine's. How is it different from other brands? Just a wonderin'.
Eileen in NYC

Primitive Seasons said...

Love it, love it, love it! Such a sweet little piece. Oh Wendy, I couldn't make it to Queen's Ink this weekend due to family issues but I sure am thinking about what fun it would have been. Sorry I missed you.

Mary
www.primitiveseasons.blogspot.com

Scrapthat said...

I've been wanting to play with Gesso as well! Thanks (I think) for the additional push!

Marijane said...

Another masterpiece, Wendy! What will you think of next? The butterfly with the layer of Clearly for Art is just gorgeous and love the way you embellished it. I've used gesso in oil/acrylic painting in the past, but haven't used it in years. I'm going to give it another go!

Diana said...

beautiful!!!!

Etta said...

Lovin' this lil' canvas...you keep taking your ART further and further!!! You have my permission to go as far as you feel the need!

Susan Leslie said...

Now that is ART!

Corinna said...

this is STUNNING! Saw you on ScrapScene. I have a bottle of gesso sitting here and haven't used it yet, but you have inspired me! :)

Chris Arlington said...

I know this is an old post, but what is wrong with me that I don't think as creatively as you??? This is stunning and you seemed to do the process so quickly.

P.S do you know you have double word verification.
blogger added mine without my permission.