here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

on the edge...part 1...


I totally LOVE getting new products to play work with...

BUT...I also find it a fun challenge to put a twist on something I've had for a while...

you've heard it here before...
if it works more than one way...I'm excited...

so I was wanting a doily for an art journal page...
but... 
I wanted one that would stand up well to inks...

I checked out the paper doilies in the baking/candy section...
nope...too flimsy for my need...
don't bother...save your $$$...

so I got to thinking, then the little lightbulb in my head turned on  & the idea worked...
duh...you probably knew that...if it didn't work there would be no post...genius!

I'll make my own doily...with this die...

it's tim's on the edge sizzix alterations distressed doily die...
I've had it since it came out a bit ago & I've used it many times as an edge, just as he intended it...


                            
to change things up here's what I did...

I cut my paper to 5 1/2 inches square...
this example is cut from specialty stamping paper, because it's strong & I know I can easily ink it/stamp it & it won't fall apart...

here's the first cut...

before you toss the cut outs in the trash...grab those 2 cuties you see in the bottom right corner of the photo...
they look like funky flowers to me...

with just one cut with the die, it makes a beautiful card base...



next, I positioned the paper on the die like this...
this photo is looking down on the die...
you can see the die edges peeking out on the sides...
make sure it's straight on the die...for both cuts...


here's what it looks like after the second cut...

I snipped those end pieces to remove the doily...
then removed the cut outs...



and this is the result...

a REALLY cool full oval doily...
SUCCESS!



it can also be used vertically & it's the PERFECT fit for a #8 tag...


here's another cool thing...

we can use anything to cut the doily...
any color for whatever coordinates with the project plan...

I was thinking a kraft doily would look good...

yep...it does!

for this one I used 2 layers of kraft card stock, since I'll probably have it hanging off the tag...



and then another thought popped in...
I LOVE when that happens...

hmmm...what if I wanted a doily frame?

so I cut another full doily & then snipped off the center in the spots where it was connected to the frame...

just a few snips and I got this...


now there's plenty more thoughts floating around...

a BLACK doily? 
you bet! I'll be doing that for sure!

a doily cut from manila card stock?
yes...I have one waiting...
it's nice & sturdy...exactly what I originally wanted...

a doily cut from clearly for art to use as a stencil?
oh yes! I'll be spraying distress stains thru one, just as soon as I get a little play time...

or cover clearly for art with vintage dictionary pages (use Glue N Seal) & die cut sturdy printed doilies...they will not break or crease if they hang off the edge...

note to self...try that!

or die cut the clearly for art blackout & have a really strong BLACK doily...perfect for hanging off the edge of a canvas or art parts base...

how about doilies cut from patterned card stock? these will be cool using tim's paper stash & it will totally change the look of both the doily & the paper stash
I might have to try that right now...I'm getting excited...

and another thought...
it's a good way to use up those left over cardstock pieces...

so...what did I do with my doilies?

NOTHING...YET! 

but...pop back on Friday for on the edge part 2...

HOPEFULLY by then I'll have a little time to play with them 
and...

make art!
wendy

ps...what are YOU thinking? got any ideas brewing? do share!




27 comments:

Elaine said...

Wow Wendy your creative brain is working overtime. I too have this die so thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

I am always looking for different ways to use my dies-this is genius!Thanks!

Unknown said...

Love it! I had wondered if that would work but hadn't had the chance to try it yet. Thanks for sharing the awesome ideas!

Unknown said...

Love it! I had wondered if that would work but hadn't had the chance to try it yet. Thanks for sharing the awesome ideas!

Eyeleeeen said...

I love the way your mind works! what a genius idea, and one I will most definitely be using. I was just looking for a nice frame the other day, and none were the right size. Thank you!

Unknown said...

that is awesome! i just know that i wouldn't be able to line it up so perfectly though, my doilies would be very very lopsided!!!!! yours are perfect though!!

Kay Wallace said...

Love how your brain works, Wendy! You see what isn't there and create it. This clever doily has endless possibilities...as do those funky wee flowers! Way to go!

SusanK said...

It's always nice to find multiple uses for dies, etc. You definitely get more than your $s worth if you try something and it works!

Lisa said...

You are so creative!! The doilies look amazing!! I'm definitely going to try this!! As always, thanks for the inspiration!! Happy Wednesday :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Marijane said...

I love it when you stumble onto brilliant ideas and techniques and then choose to share with all of us! I have gotten such amazing ideas from you over the years and this is just the latest. Thank you, and keep experimenting!

Rea' said...

Okay that looks fun ... wonder if this "preemie" can do that ?! What a neat idea, I have that die ... gonna try it !

Vic said...

Oh, fabulous! The stencil idea popped into my head as I was reading.

Redanne said...

What fantastic ideas, I love the Clearly for Art Blackout idea.......I just need to get that die now... or would it work with one of my bracket dies I wonder? Endless possibilities, thanks so much for the inspiration Wendy!

Helen said...

you are a genius, I don't know how you do it... love that oval you've created.

Art By Wanda said...

This is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!

Marianne H said...

So sweet

Tona said...

I love that you created an oval doily with the die. You are such a clever girl!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Man are you excited!!! I love it...makes me excited too! The options are limitless! Corrugated paper would be cool too!

slbt17 said...

very fun!
Sandra ltb

toni said...

Great ideas ! I Love to see new things to do with existing stash Thanks for sharing Wendy x

silvergran said...

Aha! Very cool ideas!

Dorothy said...

What a great idea!!!

Barbara said...

I have made a doily from this die, but I never thought of cutting out the center to create a frame! Great idea - thanks so much for sharing!

nikkib said...

what a fabulous tutorial and one I will be trying... would be great as a tag for a pressie x

Julie S said...

You are FANcy! Don't you just love it when inspiration strikes?

Anonymous said...

VERY cool! I'm off to read part two..... (Feedblitz tells me I'm signed up to receive your posts via email, but for some reason I'm not getting them). :(

Unknown said...

I just love those days when creative thoughts are flying through my head. Unfortunately, they're few and far between! haha Good thing you made this blog post to memorialize your creative genius!