here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Monday, August 19, 2013

stenciling with archival inks...

when I started playing working around with the idea of stenciling with archival inks, I discovered that it provided a new way to...

make art!

normally, the first step is to create a background, and then to add the main images on top of the background...

because archival inks are permanent & waterproof when dry, they can be added before the background...

I think this makes it so easy...and it's a fun change...

here's an example from my art parts tag art journal...

it's a #8 manila tag that I cut down to 5 1/2 inches tall...


I started by using this flower stencil...



using a piece of cut n dry foam and red geranium archival ink, I stenciled the flower & gave it a quick dry...




instead of stenciling in the stem & leaves, I used fern green archival to stamp these small flourishes...

***remember*** you don't always need to use the whole stencil or stamp...it's fun to change things up & get more use from your products...




now that my main images were done & DRY...I could add my distress inks & stamping to the background...

I added scattered straw lightly over the whole tag, then some brushed corduroy to accent the edges...

next, using scattered straw again, I added the vertical stripes with the polka dots & stripes border stencil...

it was easy to add the stripes exactly where I wanted them, because the main image was already there...

to add more interest to the background, I filled in some random areas with my unmounted cling text stamp (from botanical art), that was inked with cornflower blue...

this blue is BEAUTIFUL! it's kind of a vintage country blue...
MWAH!


I used jet black to stamp my sentiment...
even with several different colors in the background, the jet black really stands out nicely...


using the same stripes stencil, I added borders to the top & bottom of the tag with fern green...

a little pen stitching with the mowed lawn distress marker & the Blossom Bucket mini star were the finishing touches...

here's another look...
you'll see the stripes stencil used 2 ways...




because of the stamped/inked/stenciled layers, it looks dimensional, but the only really dimension is the star...

that's stenciling with archivals...

****TIP***...to clean the archival inks off your stencils, just use cheap rubbing alcohol from the Dollar Store...with a paper towel...
magic!

try it! it's a fun technique & a new approach to making art...

ok...DRUMROLL...

Rick chose the winner of 5 of my new stencils from the comments on my FACEBOOK PAGE...

Kirsten Alicia Sheridan...



the winner Rick chose from blog comments is...

THERESA...



Theresa said...
Great tag...you make it look so easy. Then I try it and IT IS

 EASY!!! I JUST love this tag!!! fingers crossed for the giveaway!



CONGRATS ladies!

please email me with your shipping info & we'll get these on the way to their new homes...

that's it for today...

I have a pretty busy time coming up soon...

I'm headed back to Everything Scrapbooks & Stamps in Lake Worth, Florida...LOVE it there!
that is September 7 & 8th...

then it's back to The Queen's Ink in Savage, Md the weekend of September 20-22nd...this is an amazing mixed media store...

the following weekend I'll be teaching at The Collin's Event in Houston, TX...it's my first gig there, so I'm excited about that & I'm excited to meet/teach some store owners...
I just finished my projects this weekend!

and the next weekend (October 4 & 5) I'll be at Adventures in Stamping in Strongsville, Ohio...I have not been to this convention before, so I'm excited about demoing there...

I hope to see some blog friends at one of these stops...

this schedule explains why I get free drink coupons from SOUTHWEST airlines! 

off to work on instructions & kits...

happy Monday to YOU...it's a PERFECT day to...

make (stenciled archival) art!
wendy




22 comments:

Alison said...

Congratulations ladies!!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous tag!! The flower is beautiful - I need that stencil!! I love how you used the flourishes!! Absolutely fabulous, as always!! Congrats to the lucky winners!! Happy Monday :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Congrats to the lucky winners!!! I love this tag...the sentiment alone is wonderful, but the stenciling is fabulous!!! Love the Orange Blossom stripes...so cool!!!!

Jenny Marples said...

What a superb tag. Archivals are for so much more than just adding a sentiment. Watering Can is now on my list of 'I can't live without this colours/products' alongside DP Picket Fence and DI Walnut Stain. Thank you so much Wendy. Hugs, Jenny x

Renee said...

Congrats to the winners! Thank you for another wonderful tag and technique. That's a busy schedule, have fun.

Dorothy said...

Beautiful tag!!
congrats to the winners!!

Rea' said...

Congrats to those ladies !
Another awesome tag (one more reason why II need these colors ) LOL ... love that you can stamp image first and go back and do background; the layered dimensional look is awesome !!!

Wilma said...

Congrats to the lucky winners!!!
Wendy, your tag is a beauty! I sure need your colors and the flower stencil!!

Helen said...

Congrats to the winners, and wow for today's tag!

SusanK said...

Love the colors on this tag and that new stencil is super cool! Now to get some of those stencils for myself! Happy and safe travels!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I am beyond thrilled!!!
This is a gorgeous tag, I love all the different layers, they add so much texture.
Thank you again, will email you my info.

Vic said...

Another beauty! Congrats to the winners.

Tona said...

LOVE what you did with this tag!
Congrats to the winners :)

LoraineC said...

Thanks for all the ideas, beautiful tag, congrats to the winners x

Redanne said...

Many congrats to the lucky winners! Love your tag, have ordered my Archival, anxiously awaiting it's delivery. Can't wait to have a go with a stencil and the inks... thank you Wendy! Hugs, Anne x

famillemarleau said...

Congrats to the winners. Johanne L.

Sharon Y said...

Congrats to the winners! Have fun with your stencils. Love this tag Wendy. Enjoying the techniques with your archival inks. Keep um coming. Thanks.

arubberstamper said...

I love "Adventures In Stamping" I been going to them ever since their first convention they had in Cleveland Ohio... They were so filled with stampers that they had a fire Marshall come and have to thin out the crowd. lol I still have my first program from that show. Hope to see you there in Oct.

Kay Wallace said...

Congrats to those two lucky ladies! P.S. Love kissing my Wendy Vecchi stamp pads! lol

Art By Wanda said...

Congrats to the winners!!! The tag is wonderful, Wendy!!!

Carol McCready said...

Congrats to the winners. And thank
you for sharing your gorgeous tag.

Miri van Straaten said...

Oh am I glad I found you