here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, August 23, 2013

on the edge...part 2...

welcome back my friends...

I showed how to cut the sizzix/alterations distress doilies in part one...
it's the post below this one...

here's part 2 of on the edge...

ready set...
GO!

the first tag is really pretty simple, but the kraft doily makes it fun...

I inked over the doily with  gathered twigs, using the blending tool...

look closely & you'll see the doily was lightly stamped using this ledger background and potting soil archival...
ps..it's a beautiful brown! mwah!

I used the tarnished brass distress stain to randomly edge the doily...

the new art parts flower was stamped with red geranium archival, using my reverse dots background... after I dried it, I went over the top with rusty hinge on the blending tool to color the dots...

the smaller flower center was made by stenciling the small flower from the "create a flower" stencil, using orange blossom archival...I stenciled it onto clearly for art that was covered with a vintage dictionary page, dried it, cut it out & edged it with the tarnished brass distress stain...

the new art parts stem was stamped with the reverse dots background, using fern green archival...& it too was edged with tarnished brass stain...

cute chit-chat stickers added the sentiment...
and a little black string bow was the finishing touch...

oh...I added a few black glaze pen dots too...

before gluing everything in place, I edged the #8 black tag with the tarnished brass stain...

very simple...but I like it...


I didn't add anything to the tag top since it will be a page in my art parts tag art journal...


oops...forgot to say that I added tarnished brass to the chit-chat words & raised them up with black chipboard scraps...


I was having too much fun to quit...
one little tag wasn't enough...

so, here's a card...

I think it would also look cute in a frame & it would make a fun hostess gift...or a holiday gift for a friend...

it's a simple design, just change the sentiment & it works well for any occasion...

you'll see I used just the frame portion of the doily on the card this time...

part #1 shows how to snip out the center...




below are the pieces I started with...

2 new art parts leaves...they were stamped with the reverse dots background & fern green archival...and I added a bit of brushed corduroy...
reverse dots is my new favorite background...

a clearly for art flower, die cut with tim's sizzix/alterations tattered florals die...it's stamped with potting soil archival, using my vintage mesh background...

the new art parts flower in the center was inked with cornflower blue & stamped with the "new york school of art" stamp, using watering can archival...

the remaining 4 flowers were stenciled on CFA covered with vintage dictionary paper & cut out...

2 were stenciled with orange blossom archival & 2 with cornflower blue archival...then all 4 were edged with the tarnished brass stain ...

the gold edge is a small detail, but it matters...


the 3 pieces below make the main flower & they're held together with a screw eye...

the CFA flowers were heated & shaped...before layering them...


I cut the kraft card stock base to 41/4 x 5 1/2 & the black base a little larger...

I inked over the kraft with gathered twigs & kept the center a bit lighter...
the base got edged with the tarnished brass stain too...

after I glued the doily to the card base, I stamped the sentiment with jet black archival...

I used the vintage mesh stamp with water to stamp randomly over the background...because I used distress to ink the kraft base, the water lifted the ink & created a subtle pattern & still allows the doily to stand out...

when assembling the card, I snipped the pointy blue stenciled flower in half & used a piece at the top & the other piece under the flower on the bottom...

I added long fasteners to 2 of the flower centers...
glued it all together...

tada...


this guy is pretty dimensional, because of the screw eye, so hand delivery is probably best...

but...

***tip*** 

I like to use the plastic packaging containers from sizzix dies for shipping...
it gives the PO folks something to look at and the packaging keeps the dimensional stuff very well protected...

here's a better look...
in this photo you can see the CFA flower a little better...




random tips & stuff...

to cover clearly for art with vintage dictionary paper, I use Glue N Seal, matte finish...

I like the 1 ounce jar, because it has a built in brush, but I refill it with the 4 ounce jar, which does not have a brush...it's much more cost effective...instead of buying a second small jar, just for the brush...

spread the CFA sheet with a thin layer of Glue N Seal, add the dictionary page over it, brayer, then dry...NO BUBBLES...even when using fragile vintage paper...

covering clearly for art is a good way to use up patterned paper scraps...you can stamp an image & cut or use a die to cut the CFA...

I added a tiny bit of Multi Medium between the flower layers...the screw eye holds the layers securely together & the Multi Medium keeps them in place...no spinning...

to glue the doily to the kraft base, I put a blob gob some Multi Medium on my craft sheet & used a toothpick to apply it to select areas...

make sure the dabber top is fairly dry...NOT super saturated...when using the distress stains to edge pieces...

archivals are awesome...oops...that slipped in!

but I did want you to notice that the color of the base does affect the final outcome of the archival color, since archivals are fairly translucent... 
take a look at the photo above & you'll see cornflower blue over the art parts flower & also over the white dictionary page...
this is cool...because you get coordinating colors...

phew...
all of this because I was inspired by tim's on the edge distress doily die...lol...

well I hope I've inspired you to...

make art!
wendy

27 comments:

BethW said...

I have loved these past 2 days.Cannot wait to give several of these techniques a try.

Sharon Y said...

Fantastic and fun! Love, love, love the flowers on the card. Thanks.

SusanK said...

Room is nearly back in shape...can't wait to play with your new archival inks. Stamps and stencils to come soon but not soon enough!

Julie S said...

As always, delightful pieces! I really, really love the way you have with flowers. These are beautiful.

Primitive Seasons said...

Fandamtastic Wendy! Love the use of the CFA in the flowers. I am working on a piece now that I can use that technique in. Thanks for the inspiration.

Mary

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous! Simple yet so elegant looking with the doily! Love love love those flowers, and the screw eye is a perfect addition...very unexpected!!!

Carol McCready said...

Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the techniques.

Redanne said...

Gorgeous and elegant Wendy! The archivals ARE brilliant, mine arrived and I just love, love them - how did I ever live without Watering can....

Cim Allen said...

I am loving the colors !! Awesome card idea .. thanks Wendy

BJR said...

Love the colors!...and the screw eye in the flower made me grin!! A fun and effective detail. So often it's the tiny details that add the punch...and you seem to "get it" all the time!

Wilma said...

You sure inspired me!!! Thanks :-)

Vic said...

So very pretty! Thanks for the tut & tips!

Art By Wanda said...

They are both wonderful!!!

Helen said...

It is beautiful, Wendy!! I am still enthralled by the way you used that doilly die... Love this project. Have a great weekend making art...I hope to, too!

Lisa said...

Both the tag and card are absolutely gorgeous!! I just love how you used the doily die!! And your tips are fabulous!! I especially love the one about using plastic containers for shipping!! What a great idea!! Have a wonderful weekend :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Dorothy said...

See what happens with just one itty bitty idea!??
It looks awesome!!

slbt17 said...

lovely!
Sandra ltb

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Wendy, Wow !! these are absolutely beautiful, lovely colours, gorgeous die-cuts and fabulous flowers.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Anonymous said...

Incredible & utterly gorgeous projects. And so many ideas that must go on my 'to try' list.

famillemarleau said...

Very nice. Love it. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

Brenda said...

This is just inspirational Wendy! Thank you for sharing!

Cheryl Grigsby said...

GREAT blog post, Wendy! You always inspire me. I love love love the way you take things that have been around and put a new spin on them. Also, don't know how I lived without your new Archival colors. They live on my desk!

Unknown said...

That frame is awesome! I love how the card came out ... very cute! I love the layers of the flower with the screw eye ... I never would have thunk.

Hels Sheridan said...

I am playing catch up and wow, love the new blog LO Wendy... and ... LOVE the new art... lushness... neeeeed to get me those flowers... tfs xx

Larissa Heskett said...

LOVING this Wendy!! =)
Yep, I LOVE this Die!! I made some of these for toppers last year for my presents!! OhLaLa did they look Beautiful!! Anyway, THANKS for sharing and have a Fabulous Week!! =)

Dawn Louise said...

Oo interesting think this die is now on my wish list, what happens if you cut four out and take the centres out and stick together would it make a circle? just wondering x

Dawn Louise said...

It may do by slightly overlapping the edges of each one but then again I don't know would love to know if it will work