here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, November 21, 2014

altering with archival inks...

Houston...
we have a problem...

this is not the post I planned for today...

while writing the other post,
  I realized that I had used a "NEW" stamp, so I had to delay that post...
yikes...I almost got in trouble...

my reason for mentioning this?

I've been using LOTS of clearly for art with "NEW" stamps to make layered flowers...
(I know...flowers...shocking!)

I have been using Ranger's new adhesive foam tape & I love it...




 I've discovered it is THE PERFECT double sided adhesive for layering clearly for art...

it comes in both black & white...

I LOVE the BLACK, because it disappears between the layers when viewed from the side...

it adds the PERFECT depth & the adhesive is awesome with the clearly for art...
it sticks really REALLY well...

I also use it to add the CFA flower to the surface...

I'm letting you know so you'll be ready for when the NEW (flower) release comes out in January...
things like this also make great stocking stuffers or inexpensive gifts for friends...

glue n seal is my MOST favorite for adding paper to clearly for art...

and the foam tape is awesome for layering CFA...

ok...

remember this guy I showed the other day?

it's a resin candle holder from Hobby Lobby......

time to alter it...


for this one I used dandelion archival ink, with a blending tool...
just tap it on....
couldn't be easier...

so far...



 after giving it a quick dry, I added orange blossom to the center to add shading...
and a little to the edges of the bottom petals...


I dried it again...

and then used watering can archival to randomly stamp the subtle little polka dots...


that little bit of stamping adds so much detail...


ok...
to finish off the bottom...


I added a drop of the potting soil reinker onto the craft sheet, added a little rubbing alcohol & used a cheapo paintbrush to finish it off...
hmmm...wonder why I put the potting soil pad in the photo?
I DID use the reinker...

I considered using fern green...
or continuing with the dandelion...

so I really think any of these would work for the bottom...

next I added a felt circle to the bottom & it's finished...

so...from this...





to this... 

all in 10 minutes...


other things to think about...

the bottom layer of petals could actually be leaves & they could have been inked with fern green or leaf green...

you could also die cut some leaves to add under the flower...

obviously it holds a candle...

BUT...

it can sit on a dresser to hold your rings...
that little recessed area is perfect!
that's how I'm using this one...

and...

since this can be coordinated to any decor, this makes a super quick...
inexpensive custom gift!

keep your eyes open when shopping...

there are lots of really nice, inexpensive resin pieces that can be altered with archival inks...

resin frames & vases make awesome custom gifts...

 remember...
archival inks are awesome when you...

make art!
wendy
ps...this was so much fun, I'm off to buy more...
I can not wait to make another, using cornflower on the flower, then accented with potting soil...


11 comments:

SusanK said...

Too pretty for a candle! I like the idea of using it as a ring holder, though. Or maybe spotlight a pair of special earrings.

Vic said...

Beautiful transformation!

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous transformation!! It looks amazing!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Scrapthat said...

Very cool!
Wendy V. making the world an inkier, more beautiful place...one project at a time!
LD
TFS

Rea' said...

So very cool, so fun love the tiny dots and the shadow of orange blossom ... yummy ! Can't wait to see the cornflower one ... you are gonna share it right ??

Dorothy said...

Very cool!!

Helen said...

It's gorgeous! we wouldn't have told anyone though, if you'd posted the post with the new stamp.. honest! have a great weekend making art.

Debby said...

Very pretty. I like it as a jewelry holder

Redanne said...

It was lovely before but wow, what a fabulous transformation, it is just gorgeous...

Sue said...

Beautiful!

betjunroe said...

This is so cute Wendy! Think I'll have to scope out some deals--maybe even dollar store!