here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

altering with archival inks...

episode 2...

I went back to Hobby Lobby to get more of these candleholders...

I showed you how they went from this...

to this...

but they were all sold out...
boohoo...

so...
on to plan B...

this one is close to the same thing,
 but has a metallic finish...

for those who like bling...
you might prefer this style instead...

keep in mind that archival inks are translucent, so the base color affects the end result...

I added leaf green archival to the leaves...


I used carnation red archival on a mini blending tool & tapped on the color & dried it...


then swiped the red geranium pad over the petal edges to accent them...
and dried it again...



remember this background stamp that I chopped up to make 9 little stamps?

I used jet black with this polka dot stamp to stamp over the petals...


and used a tiny text stamp to add text to the 
leaves...it's not essential to do that...
it's barely visible, but I KNOW it's there!
yes...I do realize that I'm NUTS!


here's the quick & easy transformation...

one thing to note...
the finish on these is different than the white version...
the inks felt a little tacky when dry, but this was completely gone by the next morning...

if this is a last minute gift, 
you can paint a thin layer of Glue N Seal over it, let it dry & it would be ready to gift in 10 minutes flat!

but the Glue N Seal is not necessary...
the inks will dry & NOT be tacky...


now...
use your imagination...
it's kind of poinsettia-ish...

to take it a step further...
you could add little bits of Glossy Accents to the petal edges & then sprinkle on some rock candy glitter for even more holiday bling...



I bought 2 so here we go again...

I wanted to change this one to gold, so I put a tiny bit of my gold metallic embossing paste 
on my finger & finger painted it on...
I made sure to keep the layer thin & not to cover up the recessed detail on the petals...


a little leaf green on the leaves & some potting soil archival ink swiped onto the petal edges...
I LOVE IT!


this time I used the plaid mini stamp with jet black to stamp over the petals...


random stamping, but I like the extra detail...


and here they are again...
from this...


to these...


next...

for those of you thinking of joining us on the England tour next July, 
Jim said we have just 6 openings left...
think about it...
grab a friend &
come join the fun...
we'll make art in England...

now a SHOPPING ALERT from Linda at
The Funkie Junkie...

The Funkie Junkie Boutique will slash our already-low prices by 15% accross the board* beginning at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, November 28th. We already sell at 20% below MSRP and with the extra 15% off you will enjoy a 35% discount on your entire purchase!  The sale will run through midnight on Cyber Monday, December 1st.  

this is a great time to stock up on supplies, or try some new products or let Santa know what you might like & save him some $$$!

a 35% discount is H U G E!

I have linked the products I used to 
so clicking on the links will magically transport you to them...

in closing...
just want you to know that
I'm so THANKFUL for YOU, my art friends...
you guys ROCK!

from Rick & I...
have a very
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I find it comforting to know that pumpkin pie has NO calories on Thanksgiving...
I *think* that's what I read on the net...
and if it's on the net...it MUST be true!

take care...
make (holiday) art!
wendy






13 comments:

Scrapthat said...

Oooo.....shiny and Oh so pretty! I like the metallic even better Wendy! TFS

SusanK said...

Bring on the bling! Love this idea as a hostess gift for upcoming events! Thank you! And you're right, pumpkin pie does NOT have calories on Thanksgiving! I, too, saw it on the 'net! lol

Vicki said...

Hobby lobby owes you a commission, lol. You post a project and everyone goes to hobby lobby, lol. I know I always do!!!

Helen said...

These are gorgeous too, once you finished them - I didn't like the first one all gold, but now it's red and beautiful!

Caroline D. said...

You are absolutely correct... nothing has calories on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. :) hehehe Your candle holders are gorgeous!! Thanks for the ideas! Have a Happy Thanksgiving Wendy!

Lisa said...

These are just stunning!! Your creativity blows me away every time!! I hope you and your family have a very happy Thanksgiving!! Enjoy the no-calorie pumpkin pie ;)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Redanne said...

Absolutely stunning creations Wendy, love, love the red...

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving per se here in the UK but I hope you have a wonderful one - and enjoy the yummy pumpkin pie!!

Looking forward to seeing you next year with my best friend Jenny! Anne x

Jane said...

These are stunning Wendy. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and I am really looking forward to meeting you next year at the workshop...I can't wait ;0) x

Dorothy said...

Those are beautiful Wendy!!
Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful for you and your art!!

Unknown said...

lovely - Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours - what about the whip cream? is that 0 cals too?
Sandra ltb

Sue said...

I like them both! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Unknown said...

Completely AWESOME, Wendy!! I'm sooo lucky my Hobby Lobby is a good 55 miles away (one-way)or else I'd be there every day ;) LOL
Love how you transformed these candle holders into these fun and festive pieces of art!! Happy Thanksgiving!! XOXO-Shari

Laura said...

lol....don't tell me you ate the whole pie!!! Ha....I would too!
Happy thanksgiving.