here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

mixed media "merry" tag...

it started like this...

I had a completed unused tag 
sitting there looking at me...
really...it was...

it's a #8 manila tag that I had cut down to 5 ½ inches tall...

the background was made with my archival ink,  metallic mixative & rubbing alcohol technique...

as a review...
swipe the tree branch pad onto the craft sheet...
shake the gold metallic mixative, then add one drop on the craft sheet & add rubbing alcohol (surgical spirit) for my UK friends...

make sure to add plenty of rubbing alcohol, because it quickly soaks into the manila tag...
add more alcohol than you think!
it's inexpensive, so don't be skimpy!

incase you're wondering...

for large surfaces, like a big art journal page, or if I want more intense color, I'll use a drop of archival reinker...
but for smaller pieces, I use the archival pad...

use a palette knife or craft stick to mix the alcohol into the ink, set the tag in the solution...
it sucks it right up...

give it a quick dry...
MAGICALLY...
the alcohol does not warp or damage the manila at all...
the tag stays nice & flat with no pills or bubbles...

next the tag was stamped over,
 using a text stamp with watering can archival...

the edges were inked with gathered twigs distress ink...




so that's where this tag
 started...

I stenciled stripes along the left side with watering can archivalstenciled thru the stripes border stencil... 


I wanted some bling, since this would be a holiday themed tag...
I thought I'd add some metallic polka dots to the right side with my gold metallic embossing paste...

I knew the center would be covered, so I didn't add any metallic embossing paste there...



when you open the gold metallic paste, it's kind of a yucky not cute butterscotch color...
fear not!

the magic happens when it drys...
it looks like this...



while putting stuff away, I found this kraft color paper doily...


to alter the doily, I used the blending tool to add tree branch archival ink, then sprinkled it with tree branch embossing powder, melted the powder with the embossing tool & inked over the cooled powder with potting soil archival...

you'll see a gold edge on the doily...
I love using the tarnished brass distress stain for that...

I partially backed it with a black cardstock circle...
here's the
quick easy transformation...
keep in mind that it can be changed to many colors...


to make a poinsettia, I inked the large & small art parts 6 petal flower with red geranium archival ink, sprinkled on the red geranium embossing powder & blasted it with the embossing tool...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the texture that happens when the embossing powder melts...


to make the poinsettia center, 
gumdrops make THE PERFECT flower center & can be customized to any color your project requires...

the gumdrops can also be colored with alcohol ink...


I wanted something to layer on the doily & this 
new label die fit the bill...
there are 17 die choices in the pack which makes it a great value!

I cut the label from a manila scrap, then stenciled the yikes stripes with tree branch archival...

I used gathered twigs to accent the edges...


to create these holiday greens, I inked a manila scrap with fern green archival ink, then embossed it with fern green embossing powder...
before running it thru the vagabond, I added Ranger's new adhesive sheet to the back...
just peel off the backing paper from one side...
stick it to the cardstock & leave the second backing paper in place when die sitting...
it turns the die cut into a sticker...

this is perfect for adhering fragile die cuts...
& is great for people who are heavy handed with wet glue...
there's no chance of the glue seeping out...


after test driving the placement of the greens & the poinsettia, I knew where to stamp the flourishes...

I used jet black with this stamp...
you'll find it here...
 if you need just the single flourish stamp &


to create this dimensional "merry" die cut...
I inked a black cardstock scrap with red geranium, and embossed the piece with red geranium embossing powder...

before die cutting the holiday word, I added a piece of the adhesive sheet to the back...


I die cut 2 more "merry" 
from black cardstock
 and layered them to create the dimensional piece you see above...
make sure to add the adhesive sheet...
this makes it so simple to add layers...

why use black cardstock?
because the edges are already finished, which saves a step...
and the black helps to convey a shadow effect!


now...
everything gets glued in place...
I used glue n seal to add the label to the doily & the doily to the tag...


I have no clue how I ever lived without this adhesive foam...
ps...
it creates the perfect height & the adhesive is really super strong...
and it's BLACK...
so it fades into the background!


and here's how it turned out...

oopsie...
I used the Sizzix alterations mini scallops/pinking on the edge die to add a black cardstock border to the back bottom of the tag...


this is the JOY of mixed media...

it's a use what you have...
"anything goes" way to play...
& a fun way to combine older supplies with new...

a manila tag, art parts, embossing powder, embossing paste, inks...both archival & distress...
merry mixed media!

don't you love the texture of the gumdrop with the texture on the poinsettia?



before I head to the studio...
shhhhhh...to play with new stamps...


I wanted to say...
THANK YOU 
on this Veteran's Day...

GIGANTIC Heartfelt THANKS
TO ALL the men & women 
who have served & are currently serving our country...
I salute YOU!

THANKS so much for

keeping us safe so we can...

make art!
wendy


27 comments:

Becca Cruger said...

Gorgeousness on a tag! Great job!

Vic said...

Fabulous! All the texture is great.

Theresa said...

Love this tag!!! Very festive and so texture-y!!

Scrapthat said...

Awesome Tag Wendy!! I love all the parts (art parts and the other pieces :D) TFS!

Helen said...

Fabulous tag, Wendy.

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Its awesome!!

Lisa said...

This is absolutely stunning!! What a gorgeous tag!! I love the texture of the embossing powder!! Fabulous as always!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

Beautiful!!

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Those same tags stare at me too Wendy! Beautiful tag and MAN...I need some of that adhesive sticky Ranger stuff! Love it!

Dorothy said...

So beautiful!!

Redanne said...

Love your tag, that poinsettia is stunning! Anne x

SusanK said...

Stupendous! And I love the idea of inking and embossing the black paper with the red...very cool!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous, I love the poinsettia and doily combination. Hope,you are well. Tracy x

Craftychris said...

A totally lush tag with oodles of texture! xxx

Kathy G. said...

Beautiful! Love the richness of your embossing powders.

Art By Wanda said...

Gorgeous!!! I love, LOVE the poinsettia!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Awesome tut and shout out to Vets! LOVE you! This project is wonderful and incorporates so many things...so much to learn here! Gorgeous make!

Dara Lynn said...

can't wait till my embossing powders get here...love this tag !!!

Kirsten said...

Love, love, LOVE this tag. Every detail is wonderful.

~ Jo ~ said...

This is really beautiful!
Hugs,
Jo

Susan Battensby said...

This is lovely Wendy, thanks for sharing your process
Makes me want to make tags now but have to finish the Christmas cards first!!
Just another job to add to the Xmas to do list.

Sue said...

Gorgeous! I love all of the depth you achieved.

famillemarleau said...

It's beautiful, I love it. Great tutorial as usual. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe

Rea' said...

So pretty, your layers are awesome; and the gold paste bling OMG so cool !!

Sandy said...

Wendy, your art just satisfies and pleases me! I love your work.

Lori said...

Ooo...this is fabulous!! And thanks for giving me a new shopping list. LOL

Unknown said...

Very festive!