here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

still playing with...


I had this tag sitting out just waiting for me...
it's a #8 manila tag cut to 5 ½ inches tall...

you can read how it was created 



I love the "plaster" & wanted to add this lace stamp to the tag bottom & have it coordinate with the "plaster"...
so...
I inked the stamp with glacier white 
(same ink as snow cap pigment)
& stamped it toward the bottom of the tag...
then sprinkled on the weathered white embossing powder & heated it to melt the powder...


here's what is looks like after I trimmed along 
the tag is now 5 inches tall...
perfect for the smaller flower I planned to use...

the weathered white embossing powder coordinated perfectly with the "plaster"...
it's a really nice off white (not too stark)...


I defined the tag edges with brushed corduroy and inked right over the lace...
the ink is darker in the open areas of the stamp & that really makes the lace stand out...


I used jet black to stamp the sentiment in the lower right corner & used tree branch archival to stencil some words...



the stamp & stencil are from 2 different releases, but work together, just as planned...



the tag top needed some white, so I inked the plaid background with glacier white, pressed the tag top onto the inked stamp, then sprinkled on 
 & heated it to melt...


after adding more brushed corduroy, it looked like this...


next, I added some stenciling using 


and now it looked like this...
some light stenciling...
some darker...
for interest...


hmmm...
I thought it needed a bit more color, so I added some broken china...
I like that better...

since I had used archival for the background, for the stamping and for the stenciling,
I could add distress right over with no worry that there would be any smearing or bleeding...

archival & distress = a match made in heaven!


the next photo shows the adorable 

to create the flower I added newsprint to clearly for art (CFA), with my fav glue n seal...

I used jet black to stamp it twice & cut out one full flower & one partial...
the marigold was inked with 
the darker yellow is dandelion archival...
they work together very well...

the leaves are leaf green & fern green archival...

I heated the CFA to be able to shape some of the petals...



I didn't want the whole flower raised this time, so...

I used pieces of the adhesive strips under the full flower & used the black foam adhesive under the partial flower...
these adhesives are both really good 
to use with CFA...


oops...
forgot photos for making 

the full smaller black flower pot was inked with cornflower blue archival ink & sprinkled with cornflower blue embossing powder...

the smaller top portion was inked with 
& sprinkled with the sky blue embossing powder...

after melting the embossing powder on both pieces, I added potting soil over the tops to age the color...then used the small spatter stamp with glacier white to add the white dots...

after drying the white ink, I added a remnant rub...
L O T S...

you can see in this photo how well cornflower & sky blue work together...



and here's another reason

after shaking the tarnished brass distress paint, I dispensed some onto the craft sheet...

I tapped the ball end of the tool into the paint...



and added metallic dots to the center of the vintage quilt stencil...
super easy to control...
perfect dots every time!

the dots are a very tiny detail...
but my thought is that every layer & every tiny detail matters in the finished piece...

the dots add a metallic detail, but it's subtle...


the next photo shows how to create a custom embellishment using a stencil...

there's a scrap of CFA that is covered with newsprint...


then, with the stencil still in place, I used watering can to add polka dots...

after cutting it out, I heated it to shape the wings...



here's the finished tag...

it's lightweight, but strong & perfect for tags, cards & mixed media too...

I love the dimension on the marigold...

you'll see that I used the tiny attacher to add the custom butterfly...


here's a shot of the "plaster" & the tarnished brass dots...

there's lots of dimension & detail, but this
could easily be mailed...
it's very lightweight & sturdy...
I love the CFA, because it won't get squished...


thanks so much for all the comments & emails about this new technique...
I hope you can try it...
it's seriously simple & fun...

I'm working on another TWIST to the technique...
keep your fingers crossed that it looks as good as it does in my head...

now it's time for Megan to be sent to a new home...


I had several requests to show how I color her...
I'll get that done & posted as soon as I can...

Rick chose the winner...

CONGRATS to...

Blogger Julia Aston said...

Love this technique Wendy! I'm going to try it out tomorrow!!!
January 23, 2015 at 10:18 PM
 Delete

Julia...please emil me with your address & Rick will get Megan on her way...

I'll be back on Thursday with a special CHA scraptime video & a fun 
G I V E A W A Y...

hope to see you then!

now...
I'm off to

make art!
wendy







25 comments:

Miriam said...

Fabulous. I live your techniques and the colours are perfect

pmstamper said...

Love the colors and techniques used. Thanks for sharing.

Rea' said...

OMG ... Wendy, Wendy, Wendy !!!
Luscious comes to mind when I look at this ( I'm checking-out every detail)... just amazing !!

Dorothy said...

too wonderful!!!

Wilma said...

Oooh Wendy.....you are making me to want stop working so i have more time to try all you are sharing. Love so much what you are making and sharing. Want to try it all! But first i need some lace stamps and more of your archival inkpads and embossingpowder and and and.. ;-)

michelle said...

Okay my list of wants just keeps getting longer and longer! Love this tag and oh so need the flower pot and stencil and stamp oh my!

Lisa said...

What an absolutely stunning tag!! The plaster effect is amazing!! I just love, love this!! You inspire me every time I visit!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Roxanne said...

so cool...I am in love with those stencils...and the stamp set! Thanks for the tutorial...Archivals..here I come!

Helen said...

Love the tag, Wendy, what a great technique, and the stencils OH!! love it..

Vic said...

Love your tag! Congrats to Julia.

Dee in N.H. said...

Love your beautiful tag!! Congrats to Julia too!

Lori said...

Love this tag, that flower is awesome! Need to try that tech!

Redanne said...

Congratulations to the lovely Julia! You are such an Enabler Wendy, I have to add the lace and the stencil to my ever lengthening wish list now... Anne x

Tona said...

Another fabulous tag!

Julia Aston said...

Whoo hoo!! I won Megan! thanks SO much Wendy! I've sent you an e-mail - I did try your technique and made some tags already - SO COOL!!! love this version too - can't wait to get your little pots - which I have pre-ordered!!

Marci said...

Great tutorial, love your step by step, very clear!

Julie S said...

You've managed to squeeze in so many techniques in this one tag. Fabulous!

Unknown said...

This tag came out so cute! Can't wait to get my pre-ordered SiSis ... Now I gotta order some of those flower pots!

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous tag! The background is stunning.

Sue said...

The lace just sets the whole tag off!

Linda said...

I love this new technique, I am going to have head to the craft room and see what I can do. Thanks so much for sharing !!! Congrats to winner of Megan stamp

famillemarleau said...

It's very beautiful. I love it. Johanne Lacombe

Mary said...

Gorgeous tag...wonderful tutorial. True art!

Thank you so much for the inspiration.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE this tut! Love the embossing and stenciling! The flower is gorgeous! I'm out of GnS...can you believe it? Gotta order some more!

Carol McCready said...

Absolutely love the way your tag turned out. Those flowers look fabulous.