here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

if you are 100% wool...

BEWARE!!!!!!

I just might chop you up & make you a flower...

Ok, let's start @ the beginning...

This might be long...so you just might want to get some coffee...
I'm just saying...
LONG...

Last winter, I was teaching somewhere...
I forgot where...
hey...I'm old...
so, forgive me...

Anyway, a gal walked into my class with THE MOST AWESOME SWEATER ever...

Lucky for her I'm honest...
I really wanted to swipe it right off her back...

Lucky for her it was cold & I would have felt bad...
for all of about 10 seconds...

So...the class starts & she's still wearing that sweater...

I was getting sweaty...
Does she not realize we're using ink?

INK...that just might get on that sweater?

So, I nicely say to her...

"if you get ink on that sweater, I just might puke..."

She said... no big deal...
that's why I wore it...it's junk...
WHAT????

She proceeds to tell me that this sweater cost less than $10.00.

another...
WHAT?????????
I NEED to shop where she does...
and save Rick $$$...
yeah...right!

So I get more info...

Long story short...she found a damaged sweater @ Goodwill...and added the fabric patches to cover the holes...
they were...
100% wool...
thus the post title...

I've been dreaming of that sweater for a full year...

Then, last month I taught @ Prairie Art Stamps in Springfield, Illinois, where Terri introduced me to needle felting...
again...
100% wool...

Terri...I don't think Rick likes you anymore...
(I really SHOPPED)
but...
I sure DO!
Because...

I've been looking for something to entertain me on flights & during long ugly airport waits...

This stuff is lightweight and requires very little in the way of tools...
and...you can make...
FLOWERS!
I'll save that part of the story for another day...


Back to the sweater...

I was shopping @ JoAnn's a few weeks ago & saw some awesome...
100% wool material...
and it was brown...
and they had a grey too!
PERFECT!

I do NOT sew, except on paper...
but I remembered the info the sweater gal gave me last year...

Just wash & dry the wool & you can cut it, make patches & it does not frey...
no sewing needed...

Also, on that same trip I bought this 100% wool jacket...


which now looks like this...

I die cut some...

FLOWERS for the pockets!




and since the front looked better...
I thought I'd add one to the back, under the collar...
an idea I got from JJill...


So now I'm REALLY thinking...
what else can I do?

HEY...
some studio 490 stamps are just outlines...
see where I'm headed???????

rubber stamps are versatile...

I don't have a finished project yet...
but just you wait and see...

Whoever thought of Goodwill as an art supply store?
You can bet I'll be headed there soon...


Now about that late week giveaway...
NO...it's NOT the stamp & suitcase...
we had just enough for our cruisers...

Here's a little peek...



Don't forget...
GIVEAWAY...later this week!

While we were on the cruise, someone added LOTS to my to-do list...
starting with...
24 Ranger projects due by next Thursday...
I have 4 done...
only 20 to go...

YIKES!!!!!

so I NEED to get going and...

make art!
wendy

23 comments:

Lori said...

20 to go by next Thursday! Holy crap! Well, you are superartist, I'm sure you'll have no prob thinking of 20 different ideas by next Thursday. I have difficulty thinking of 20 in one year. HA! Good luck! Love the jacket, can't wait to see what's coming next!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking at needle felting for years, but never caved in...who has the time and space for yet another craft, right? But now, I'm thinking....no Goodwill near me, but there is another thrift shop. Hmmmm....they MUST have some things made of wool...grrrr, Wendy, look what you started! LOL!
Oh, I do love those flowers you put on the jacket.
Cheers,
Eileen in NYC

Debby said...

Beautiful flowers on the jacket. Did you use archival ink to stamp them? Really cool look and the buttons are awesome. I'm sure you will make your deadline with the art projects due. Have fun.

Nettie said...

tee hee......I will NOT tell DH where I got a NEW shopping idea from!!!! thanks.......and 20 projects...wow!!! you go girl!

Nancy D. said...

Goodwills/thrift shops/estate sales are some of my favorite places to shop!...you never know what you might find...lots of my finds have become or are destined to become ART! My sister & I had a fabulous time on the cruise..loved your classes!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

It is fascinating to hear your stories, thank you for taking the time to share what inspires you!
I had a wool sweater when I was a little girl with the prettiest vibrant stripes...bet my mom still has it, she hangs on to everything. Thinking of it brings me back to happy childhood memories:)
Luv
Heidi

Unknown said...

Okay ... I have been through the closet [don't panic ... not mine :0) ... OH won't miss a jumper or two!] They are in the machine now ... well that saved me some money ... now I may have to go buy something suitable to add the flowers too :0)

Another fabulously Wendy project - Thank you X

Nancy said...

Hmmm...I may have to wander past our local Goodwill store & a thrift store or two. Like Eileen, I've resisted needle felting, but ... you've almost sold me on it. *lol* But first, I have to finish crocheting a baby afghan, finish my cruise journal, do my part for 2 swaps ... These "to-do" lists have got to go, Wendy! ;o)

scrappin-scrappin said...

Awesome, as usual!!! What a great idea! You probably just started another craze!! Wow, 20 more to go by next Thurs. you are a miracle worker!!! I'm sure they will all be great!

Hels Sheridan said...

Loving your jumper...tis looking mighty fine :O)) I think that the giveaway looks line an apron...am I right???? If I am does that mean that I win it ROFL....have fun making all that art...can't wait to see it all x

Kathy said...

That looks great. I can't wait to try a new way to create wearable art.
Thx, Kathy

Tona said...

That jacket is beautiful with those flowers. Just too cute. I have a neighbor that spins & weaves wool & has done a lot of needle felting...hmmm, I may have to beg for some scraps lol.

Dawn (dmh) said...

Hi Wendy,
Love your new wool jacket.
That was very clever of you.
The flowers are amazing.
Can not wait to see what you do with
the stamps.
:)
Dawn

Etta said...

FABULOUS jacket!!! And...a little encouragement...you'll make it! You ALWAYS DO!

funkycrafter said...

are those the ties to the apron from the cruise? that would be so fantastic. the flowers on the jacket are great. i have a denim jacket that would look good with flowers too. i'm allergic to wool but i am sure i can find a substitute. good luck with your 20 projects

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, it's an apron isn't it. Oh, please just give it to me,don't make me go into a random pile of numbers, never to be seen again. I love scrapbooking aprons, LOVE THEM!!! Oh, I so need this, did I tell you about the story of my 12 year old son who just flushed 2 Kotex maxi pads down the toilet??? Well, it just happened, he started yelling when water was overflowing, I run in and ask what happened, after much yelling he tells me he has wondered what "those things" were and then didn't know what to do with them after he opened them, (not sure why he had to open 2???) so he decided to just flush them. Toilet is PLUGGED!! So see you should just give it to me!!! I really deserve it, I DO! I don't even care about you wool flowers, I'll ew and ah over them later! Oh well, later this week. . . think of me and the plumber! and you might want to say a quick prayer for my son!

kngwd89 said...

I have visions of a whole new direction for the users of your stamps...visions of aprons (hmmm...aren't those apron ties you're teasing your computer friends with?), wool jackets, denim jackets, jumpers, and bags...OMG! It's endless, isn't it? Naughty, naughty, Wendy! Now Rick will not be the only husband who is upset with you! Tee-hee! We're loving your creativity! Keep on inspiring us! LeAnn

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

I'm luck to have access to lots of thrift stores around the Chicago area, and I scour them regularly for craft related items. It's amazing what I have found for crafting there.
Love the wool flowers!

Lisa Pace said...

I have been looking at all the felting supplies in the craft store for months and keep telling myself I don't need more stuff but now... I'm sold... I have got to start felting... I love the flowers.

Art By Wanda said...

Wow, I did not know that about wool!! I'm not really a sewer either. Love the wool flowers... too cool!!!

dblanken said...

I love the jacket you made - I am looking in my closet. Adding the flowers is so cute. You are very creative.

Dorothy said...

Great story and great inspiration!
Thanks Wendy!!
Dorothy

Marimer said...

Jjaja!, ¡que divertida eres!.
La chaqueta con este detalle de flores en los bolsillos, ha ganado un 100%, es absolutamente original.
Bss.