here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

shhhh...I was supposed to be packing...

but instead I snuck into the studio for a quick art fix...

here's the result...
a 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch mini art...


and here's how it came to be...

these 3 pieces were still out on my island,
leftover from another project...

for some reason, when I saw that art parts corner, it made me think...

hey...it's a FLOWER!

the new mini scallop trim (designed to be a perfect fit for tim's configurations compartments) looked good under the corner & added another layer ...

I chopped off the flower & used just the art parts stem/leaves...


I used the insert & base of the art parts rectangle frame & saved the actual cut out frame for another project...

the larger piece was covered with graphic45 paper & toned down a bit with brushed corduroy distress ink...

the smaller art parts rectangle was inked with vintage photo distress ink...
then very lightly stamped with the houndstooth background using coffee archival...

I applied very little ink, because I knew I HAD to use that medicine label again...
I inked it randomly with jet black archival...
to create a worn looking image...

the art parts scallop corner & mini trim were inked with weathered wood distress stain...

I stamped the flowers on Clearly for Art, which had been covered with the dictionary page...
I used Glue N Seal...LOVE IT!...
especially the matte...

then I used the weathered wood distress stain on them too...


since I chopped off the mini butterfly antennae, you'll see a custom epoxy charm clip used as the butterfly head...
hmmm...do butterflies have heads?

by the way...
the butterfly is stamped on Clearly for Art BLACKOUT...
using the gold paint dabber...

I wrapped a black thread around the stem to add a little interest & added a mini pin...

oh...the flower center is one of tim's pearl baubles...


did you spot tim's new die cut photo corners?
they are cut from black cardstock scraps...



it was a quick & FUN little art fix...

NOW, since we're friends...

remember...
what happens in Oglesby,

stays in Oglesby...
mum's the word...

remember...I WAS packing...

HONESTLY...

I didn't sneak into the studio to...

make art!
wendy
GOT IT?

38 comments:

Marijane said...

What a delightful surprise! A little "artful" diversion never hurt anyone and you have another sample to take with to show the students in your classes this weekend. The mini picture-plaque turned out great - well worth the time away from packing!

Debby said...

Love this creation! Making art is better than packing anyways. Love the butterfly's little head! Adds another look to him/her. Thanks always for sharing!

Unknown said...

Scrumptious ... Truly scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

I love how you always find new uses for your supplies.
Brilliant!

TheLastOfNine said...

Love multipurpose art, love art!
Gloria

SusanK said...

'Tis lovely! By now packing should take you no time at all. Don't you have a bag always packed anyway to you can spend more time creating than packing? LOL

Anita said...

Good luck with packing! This is stunning! I love seeing how you use things in new ways.

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Oh, I love this. I like that little stitching detail on the stem.

Cim Allen said...

You are too funny !! Imagine a flower ?!?!?! I love the project .. awesome idea. I have my new art parts I'm just waiting for my time to play. Have fun Wendy and safe travels.

Unknown said...

So glad you did! I won't tell!

scrappin-scrappin said...

I here ya, I'm supposed to be cleaning (so boring), instead I'm playing with Art Parts & CFA, yep I'm addicted!! This is a Gorgeous piece!! Love how you see other ways to use products and share your ideas with us!! Thank you!!

Helen said...

Your secret is safe with me, I love this packing that you've done!!

Vic said...

Fantastic! I love how you pack!

Tona said...

Love your little project & my lips are sealed. ;)

Diana said...

if anyone asks.. i have no idea what they are talking about!!

Lynne Forsythe said...

YOU CRACK ME UP.......you have a SERIOUS ADDICTION.....and I LOVE IT!!

Dawnll said...

Totally wonderful- like how your mind works.
Safe travels sweetie

Lesley said...

Well i think you should have more art diversions!!! Love this piece!!

Jenny and Jimbob said...

Cute flower, great idea! And yes, butterflies do have heads! :)

ellen vargo designs said...

Your secret is safe with me! You were packing! I'd swear to it! LOL.... you crack me up... now... go pack! have a great trip!

Createology said...

How happy I am that you were "packing". This is just super clever and I love it. Safe Travels and enjoy everything...

Cher said...

so cute! cannot wait for my order! happy travels!

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
I just love ALL your projects!!! Thanks so much for sharing all your creative genius with us! This flower is AWESOME!!!

Karen S. Ohio

Marjie Kemper said...

LOVE it. Seems to me you HAD to make this art before you could pack and do the mundane stuff that had to be done. That's what makes you an artist!

Elaine A said...

Got it Wendy! But I like what you didn't make, because you didn't sneak into the studio - LOL!

Elaine Allen

2amscrapper said...

great art!

Gail Bales said...

Wendy,
Who needs clothes? I'll take art any day-lol. Beautiful and clever as always.
Gail in Oklahoma

Lori said...

Love this! Great idea to use the corner as a flower! Love the charm clip on the butterfly, too!
p.s. you can always turn underwear inside out in case you forget to pack. Kidding! ewwwwwww.....lol... after all, art is a priority.

Anonymous said...

Packing is sooo overrated and best done virtually whilst the mind is occupied with more important things!

Dorothy said...

So glad you stopped packing!!!
Love this!!

Art By Wanda said...

Got it!! You didn't sneak into the studio and create this fabulous little piece of art that has the coolest flower made from the scallop corner and trim!!!! You were definitely packing!!!!

Liz in MO said...

Hey, it's ok, we won't tell Rick!

jill said...

I really love this little project...the Wendy flowers are always my favorite.....and,drumroll,.......................it reminds me of SPRING!!!!!

lois Skiathitis said...

Making beautiful art is better than packing any ole time. I'm liking this project a lot. TFS!!! :-D I won't tell a soul.

Kirsten Alicia said...

This is SOO gorgeous!!!!

Becky said...

Got it! Ain't nobody seein' no art here. No siree. All we see is packing. But if we were, we'd say wow! Awesome use of not-flowers to make a flower. But we're not seein' any, so we won't say it. :)

jan metcalf said...

Been so busy I missed a few posts, BEAUTIFUL posts! BEAUTIFUL ART! Thanks Wendy!

Chuck said...

Thanks for all of your informative post. It is nice to be in touch with someone from Ranger with all the great ideas.