here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Thursday, November 12, 2009

clips clamps snaps...oh my!

Try to say that 10 times!

FIRST...
Gotta set the record straight...
The convention in Madison is NEXT weekend...Nov 20-22...
Sorry for the confusion...this weekend I'm HOME working on new stamps & kits for Madison...


Getting back to the title...

Here's a frequent question...
just got it again Tuesday...
so here goes...

For my workshops, usually one of the items on my supply list, is some sort of clamp...

These things are invaluable...they are like having another hand...

The "hemostat"...the silver guy on the left is great for bending metal...

The small alligator clamp under the ruler is PERFECT for making roses...

We used these on the cruise & shockingly...
someone refered to it as a roach clip...
(does your mother know this?)

HORRORS!
But it made everyone in the room bust a gut...

The 2 black & yellow things are also great tools to have in your arsenal...
I find both sizes very useful.




The hemostats are a little hard to find...
quilters call them "needle pullers", so check those stores...


someone also suggested to check in the fishing supplies...
something to do with hooks?
EDIT!
This just in from Barbara...
try...ScissorSales.com


Rick got me the alligator clamps @ Home Depot, in the electronics section...

Now I see that JoAnn's has them in their jewelry section...so does Hobby Lobby...
and they are MUCH better priced there...


The black & yellow guys are also a home type store find...
Trust me... I use these a LOT!

next topic...

DID YOU KNOW?...

That you can combine colors of distress stickles?

It's simple...
squirt a blob of each of your colors on a craft sheet...
stir with a toothpick & apply to your project...

Here's my combo of broken china & vintage photo...

It's applied on a creme colored felt beaded blossom, by Maya Road.

I like the look...sort of verdigris???




NEXT...
Inspiring things...

After my class last Saturday, I popped over to a favorite store called Country Gingham...

It's an AWESOME home/gift type store.

REALLY cool stuff...
it's in Bloomington, Illinois...

My intent was to look for a gift for a friend...
SADLY...NO LUCK!

BUT...I did get this...

I LOVED the colors...
loved the textures...

DID NOT love the price tag...
oh well...
a little splurge...

and I NEEDED the inspiration...
ha!


The REALLY BAD thing is that Debby, the owner had me model a matching coat...

Do you see where this is going?
It's not my fault, Rick...

Like the scarf...NEED a coat?
Not really...but it did look great with the scarf...
SOLD...

She's quite the salesgal...I think that's what is called...
add on sales...

One of the other things I spotted there were some awesome wool purses...

I'm really getting into this wool stuff...

After an internet search...

here's what I found...
the colors are very inspiring... & so is the design...

and they'd look cool with the coat...
GOD STOP ME...
I didn't buy them....
YET!

This is another great combo...
but then I'd NEED another coat...
I think NOT!


Go here to be inspired...

The company is called baabaazuzu...

Just look @ all the different categories of items...

It's free inspiration...or I sure hope it is...

Got more to say...
but I better save it for another post...

It's time to...

make art! ( for a TOP SECRET MISSION)...
I REALLY want to say...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............
wendy

ps...got my stamp designs back from Zach, the stamp magician...
just a few tweeks...............
I'm really excited...

23 comments:

Debby said...

Why do they have to discontinue the snaps??? So silly. Love the wooly fingerless gloves. I will have to check that website out. Just what I need, more trouble to get into. Have a fun weekend teaching!!

Becky T. said...

I have to ask, since you are doing so much with wool these days,... isn't the wool itchy? I steer clear of wool at all cost due to the itchy-ness. Tell the truth!! Itchy or not?!?!? Inquiring minds... :-)

Helena said...

Now that I have a picture of the tools to show my hubby, I will probably get those, yiihaa!

Love the felt blossom!

And the wool stuff. I used to knit, but since my arthritis on my wrist, I haven't been able to do it anymore. *sniff*

Have a great weekend!

Allie Gower said...

I will miss the snaps, and the ritual of matching them when I get them open, and into their nesting spot.

Can't wait to see new stamps.

Barbara Wilson said...

I found lots of different kinds of hemostats at ScissorSales.com. Some priced at $5 or less.

Anonymous said...

I'd been using binder clips on my roses at home, but the alligators are a better size/shape.
I found some in a local 99c store, where they have the tools.
They were 99c for a six pack! Thought that was a good buy, so bought every pack they had.
Look everywhere when you shop, you just never know in what department you will find the perfect art tool/accessory.
Eileen in NYC

Elaine A said...

Wendy -

Love the scarf. The color combo and the design. How could you NOT buy it!?

Elaine Allen

Unknown said...

Love the idea of blending the stickles. That broken china is one of my favorite colors! Thanks for the ideas Wendy - can't wait til you can show us your TOP SECRET art!

Lori said...

What the ...? Discontinuing the snaps, are they serious? Pure blasphemy, I tell you. I'm writing my congressman right now... Nice job on the coat/sweater. Wool is nice, but I'm allergic to it, bummer! Top secret..hmmm...anything to do with wool? Ha!

dblanken said...

I have been buying up the snaps - can't have enough - I already use the same tools you do and they do work wonderful. Can't wait to see your new stamps.

Tona said...

I never have seen Tim snaps in any stores around here & now they're going to discontinue them?!
I have a pair of those hemastat clamp things. My husband uses them when he's working on his electronics stuff. He had 2 so he gave me one. I've also used them when I'm heat embossing something small.

Nancy said...

I'm so disappointed they're stopping the snaps - they are so fun!
Thank you for the reminder about the roach clips - I mean, yeah ... THOSE clips ... *lol* I need to get some for me ... or, wait ... are there any over there in that drawer? NO! I'm seriously just kidding! I do want to buy some, for me...
I like the mixing of the Stickles! Will play with that soon...
Those fingerless gloves are too cute! You are such an enabler! *lol*

Anonymous said...

Ok. Inquiring minds want to know (or at least I do. . . ) did you just accidently spill 2 blobs of stickles together to figure this out, or was it an intentional act??? Just wondering. . .

Anita said...

Thanks for all the tips.

Donna said...

OH SNAP!! For real, I just started using them LOL!!Anyway I'll have to get some more, thanks for the tip Wendy.
Love the gloves!!

Rachel Greig said...

Love your posts - they make me laugh! (in a good way!) You're too funny.

Dianal said...

No more snaps, oh no .... well maybe the old needs to make way for the new products coming out in
January????????

Hope the next time I take one of your classes (Buffalo) it will be in the cooler weather so you can wear your new coat and gloves!!!

Nancy B said...

Your scarf is beautiful! I'm sure I couldn't pass it up either!

Dawn said...

I just love how a person can read your post and see the animation on your face by the type of text that you use. You are an author and an artist! Thanks Dawn in SC

DeeDee said...

Love the gloves. Must not click on link. Must not ... oooooh what lovely pretties they have. ;)

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

OH my goodness, I called the clips "Roach clips" on the cruise too, but it didn't dawn on me 'til now what a "roach clip" really is. Guess it's been a REALLY LONG TIME since hearing that phrase in college. Not that I would know, I'm just sayin' ....oh nevermind....

Art By Wanda said...

I'm thinking a sewing store or that section of a craft store would be another source for snaps... haven't looked yet but other people do use snaps on clothes :-)) Great information here about lots of stuff... need to go check out the links. Have a fabulous weekend... I'll be trying NOT to think about your new stamps that we CAN'T see... or the top secret project!!

Cindi (aka iring) said...

oooh, those mitts look like they are fun to wear, and all warm and snuggly.