here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, November 13, 2009

yesterday I enabled...EDITED!


***EDIT @ THE END***

today...I have some $$$ saving ideas...

It's kind of a joke here that I'm always digging something out of the trash. It drives Rick nuts...

I like to think of it as...going green...

I hate clutter, so I toss the junk off my workspace immediately.
Then...
the lightbulb goes on, I have a thought & I'm looking in the trash for what I just tossed out...

It kills me to waste stuff.

So here goes...just a few simple things today...

I used to toss these flower leftovers...
until I realized that this can be a flower...
use the whole thing...
just put paper behind it...or a stamped background and layer smaller parts on top.
How did I NOT see that?

Then...duh...it's a stencil too...

Just blast it with Maya Mists, Ranger's Color Wash or even distress inks...mixed with Perfect Pearls.

Not only do you get a stenciled image...
you also have a flower that's ready to be used on a project.

AND...I have also used these with a stencil brush or the blending tool to apply the distress inks...

And...I see they are on sale here...
I'm just saying...$$$ saving...


One of these went in the trash too...
same thing...

Once the grungeboard pieces are used, you're left with another perfect stencil...

Now what's really cool about the grungeboard is that you can use it over & over again.

The liquid won't destroy the grunge...

This makes a wonderful large background stencil...
perfectly spaced circles...



It works with all grungeboard shapes...

I find it best to use giant post-it notes to mask off other areas, that you don't want inked.

And one more thing that I've found to be very useful...

When working on smaller projects, or when spraying small chipboard pieces...

I've been putting the Color Washes and Maya Mists into mini misters...

It's PERFECT!
You have great control & only ink small areas at one time...

Next, I'm planning a background using Maya Road's mini snowflakes...
I want to arrange them on cardstock, mist to make the stencil effect...use that,
then use the already inked snowflakes on another project...

So there you have my $$$ saving tips for the day!

I got several emails asking how the custom mix of distress stickles came to be...(that was in yesterday's post)
Was it an accident?

Actually, I was looking for a verdigris type color look for a project (that's why the photo is so small!) and I just had the thought to mix them.

It's a cool effect...and another way to use the distress stickles...
Think about it...

lots of possibilities with color combos...
lots of fun.......

Next I want to try .........
wait...
I'll save that for another post!

Have a great weekend...
keep those comments coming...
I have some extra film strip ribbon.........

Make art!
wendy
EDITED!
OK...I may have to edit the title of this post...or not...
depends on how you look @ it...

This news flash just came from eclecticPaperie...
This is all on sale only until SUNDAY...
HEY...I see studio 490 stamps on the list & Tim's too!!!!

HERE'S a portion of the newsletter...
Selected items will be offered at this special price beginning today until Sunday, November 16th or while supplies last.

Tim Holtz stamp collections $19.96 (regularly $21.95)

Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 stamps $19.96 (regularly $24.95)

Fancy Pants Designs Paper Collections $13.00 (regularly $20.99 to $23.99)
7 Gypsies Revolving Carousel - $19.96 (regularly $34.95)
DVD Tin bundle - 12 for $19.96
We R Memory Decorative Corner Chompers - $19.96 (regularly $24.95)
Heat Craft Tool - $19.96 (regularly $24.95)
TenSeconds Studio Tools - $13.00 (regularly $17.99)
TenSeconds Studio Kabuka Molds - $13.00 (regularly 16.99)
Paper Party Bundle -$13.00
Frame It! - $13.00 RANGER STUFF!!!
Fancy Findings - $19.96 IDEA-OLOGY STUFF
Distress Stickles 6 pack grab bag assortment - $13.00 (regularly 14.94)

44 comments:

Donna said...

Great ideas Wendy! I save treasures all the time. Now if my girls are crafting with me it is a joke( no matter how small a scrap is) they ask me if I want to save it LOL. Kids Huh?
Have a great weekend! Happy crafting!

carpediem said...

I try not to be wasteful and feel that sometimes I save too much however it's surprising how often the stuff I keep comes in handy! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Robin Swederske said...

I love your money-saving ideas as much as I love your money-spending ideas! Thanks for your fantastic inspiration and I'm anxiously (but not patiently) waiting to see your new stamp sets!

Debby said...

Love your ideas for stencils. Have been using the sprays in a class on journaling and spraying all kinds of ink! Thanks for the tip on using the mini misters as sometimes ink ends up everywhere!!! Thank you for the inspiration. Looked at the cool woolies yesterday on the link you gave. Really beautiful. Wish I knew how to knit!

dblanken said...

I have been saving the left overs from the grunge for awhile - just haven't used them. The mini misters are a good idea. I always tell my fiance that I am saving money by saving everything - I will have to show him this post.
Keep up the good work.

ScrappyPam said...

I have the same problem with throwing stuff out, because you can always use it for something.. right?? So I have bins of stuff that I'm going to do something with. Someday.

Anonymous said...

We are definitely cut from the same cloth. Love finding ways to use "trash." You know what one of my favorite backgrounds for cards, ATCs, etc is? The paper towel I've used all day to wipe up spills, blot sprays, clean stamps. Yep...by the end of the day is looks awesome!
Eileen in NYC

Nancy said...

I, too, am not good at throwing away something I *might* use someday ... Fortunately, Tom's a packrat of his own style, so ... no one can say anything about it! *lol*

I like the idea of putting Color Wash in the Mini Misters - thanks!!

Lori said...

More great ideas from a GREAT artist! My problem is I have too many piles of junk sitting around that I haven't used yet!

Princess of glitter said...

Great "green" ideas! I have a large basket that I throw scraps of all kinds in, including some of the clear packaging! The clear packaging is good for mixing paint colors on! There are many uses for scraps, you just have to think outside of the box!!

PS: need filmstrip ribbon - local stores are on back order! Need a fix!!

Anonymous said...

I REFUSE TO SAVE TRASH, I REFUSE TO SAVE TRASH, I REFUSE TO SAVE TRASH!!! I will not go digging in my trash, nonnonononononono, bad girl!!!! Let it go, let it go to a better place. . . clear the clutter, feng shui (or whatever it's called). . . ignore the blog post, ignore, don't save the trash, don't, don't, don't, . . . be strong. I will be strong. . .

Erica - CopperSunSilverMoon said...

We must think alike...lol
I saved the packages from Tim's washers (and other idea-ology products) - the plastic domes (and flat circular backings) can be cut to use as mini windows and memory capsules.

Maureen F. said...

Great idea - I always think that I can use the negative shape somehow and this is another fun idea to try !!!

Maureen F. said...

Great idea - I always think that I can use the negative shape somehow and this is another fun idea to try !!!

D's Paper Studio said...

When I finish with something I always think "stencil." Making Memories tiny alphas has a nice grid with the letters are gone. also use your idea-ology packaging that is like a "clam-shell" packaging. AKA: the keys are packaged to protect the keys so you have a MOLD of a key and you can go on and on with idea-ology packaging. I throw away enough, I'm not going to throw out possiblities! Great ideas Wendy.

Unknown said...

Thanks Wendy - I can't wait for a peek at the Snowflake creation.- Would love to see where you make art, any chance of some peeks there??

DeeDee said...

Can't bring myself to dig in the trash. Haha. But I love the stencil idea!

Nancy said...

I love to use the negative spaces for stenciles and I have used the flower leftovers to make new flowers, a little paint or ink some glitter and you have a great new flower.

Joyce said...

Dang it, I was getting such cool stuff going through all your garbage too. I love dumpster diving and when you find a good one with lots of cool stuff, you just keep going back. So now I'm taking your address off my list. LOL I'm glad Rick pulled the string and the light came on. Now Liz where do you live? I need to come raid your trash. Love the mini mister ideas.

Helen said...

Thanks for some great money saving ideas. Let us see what you've created with them soon, please!!

Dawn said...

I am like you, I love to save my trash- the only thing is I am running out of room to keep it! But I hate to throw it away- what a problem- .... At least its an art problem and nothing else- I can live with art problems :)
Dawn in MB, SC

Unknown said...

Thanks for the ideas, again, Wendy!

Do you think that they meant to put the craft spinner on sale for 19.96 from 19.99? That's a 3 cent savings!!!!!

Allie Gower said...

Great information.

scrappin-scrappin said...

I to hate throwing away anything that I might be able to use in another way. Thanks for the tips! Have a great weekend!

SusanK said...

I don't throw anything away immediately. Anything that can possibly be used is kept in another spot. I can't tell you how many tiny scraps I keep but you just never know when they'll be just the perfect thing for your next project. Filmstrip ribbon - ooh la la!

Jenna K. said...

I hate throwing things away, too! However, last month I had to make a big purge-very freeing! Keep the great ideas coming!

Tammy F. said...

Great ideas! I love finding new ways to use old products...now if I could only find more hours in the day to actually get time to do some crafting...
Hmmmm, more film-strip ribbon eh?? I think I could find some time to use some of that ;)

Tona said...

Thanks for all of the money saving tips...and the money spending ideas lol.

Anonymous said...

ehhhhhhhhhh, I can't hear you, nonononononoonononononononono...... after the edit, this post is worse than digging through the trash!

michelle said...

Love those tips and I toss out fast too. .. I will have to rethink that moment. I am off to check out the sale. . .but don't tell on me!

Cariena said...

i have about a million of these - i knew they could be used - but just HOW, i never quite knew! i really appreciate the wonderful ideas you give - it helps alot! now those filmstrips would really be a help!!!

Miss Iowa said...

Is this the new, respectable form of dumpster diving?? Thanks for the tips!

Vicki in MD said...

I love recycling - I was at a make and take where they used brads that came in a foam holder shaped like a flower. I asked for it when it was empty. I ended up with 4 of them. I'm thinking they will make nice chunky book covers or just attach them on the cover of an 8x8 book.

Heather said...

I love all of these ideas...thanks for inspiring!

texasbarb said...

another thing you can do with the "left over" pieces like your flower...fill it with Glossy Accents. or...fill it part way with Glossy Accents and then add glitter or some such then fill it the rest of the way. it takes a long time to thoroughly set up but well worth it.

Linda said...

Great ideas Wendy! Thanks for sharing!

Linda

Art By Wanda said...

Lots of great ideas!!!! Thank you!!

Dianal said...

What terrific ideas ... never thought to use the remaining chipboard as a stencil ... I'm starting to look at my "trash" a little differently now ... the mesh bag that contained my onions would made a nice background if I sprayed through the mess and on to my paper ... let me keep routing through the trash ....

Unknown said...

You have such great ideas. Where do come up with these great tips?
Sue

Jacki said...

ok - so i'm trying to clean stuff out of my stash so i can find and use the good stuff....but now you have me dipping into my trash for stuff i just tossed...i really can't win and my craft room will never be clean. good ideas, wendy!

klasickewpie said...

Fabulous money saving ideas Wendy. I'm also always looking for ways to reuse stuff.

Carole said...

Love the ideas - I need that film strip....love the grungeboard circles - fun stuff

Erica said...

I must say that I did learn this as well as other things from you on the cruise..since then I haven't tossed out a thing!

Thank you for sharing!

Erin Glee said...

I have saved all my left-over part Grungeboard sheets in a "stencil" section of my T.H. Stuff folder. I even cut the letter sheets apart into squares so I can use both the positive and the negative part... never throw anything away.
Thanks for the enabler alert/tease!