here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

it's a wrap...

but it's so much more...

I ordered tim's new tissue wrap, to use as a wrap...

as tim's says...
hello Captain Obvious!

but I also had an idea brewing for a fun technique...


I started with my art parts small creative cover...
it's a great solid base for art...

I wanted a dry adhesive to attach the tissue wrap to the cover...

I LOVE their runners...

this is significant...
as you will see below...


it was simple to use the sanding grip on the edges...

since the tissue wrap is thin...
just a few swipes & the edges looked good...


now here comes THE DISCOVERY...

because the tissue wrap is semi transparent...
the dots from the adhesive were showing thru...

I was soooo excited...
I KNEW what was coming next...


I added broken china & frayed burlap distress stains randomly over the tissue wrap...
then dried it...

and ended up with this amazing background with so much depth & texture, using only 2 simple steps...

1. adhere the wrap
2. stain it...


but, what's REALLY cool is that the background is actually flat...
so it's perfect for stamping...

here you can see that I used jet black archival with my cancellation stamp & the tiny details are crisp & clear...

I hope you can see that the text from the tissue wrap...
and the dots from the adhesive
appear to be deep under the stamping...


I HAD to use this background...
which explains why I didn't cook dinner...
again...

the photo below shows my belt stamp...
with an extra little detail...

I stamped it twice on grungeboard...
and used just the portion with the buckle & the end,
as the second layer...

because it's grunge, I could bend the end for extra dimension...
a small detail with a big impact...
and it gave the guy a place to stand...


here's the finished piece...

my guy is holding an art parts pen nib & dipping it into
the bling you see is from rock candy distress stickles...


but like the infomercial says...

wait...there's more...

another idea popped in...

what would happen if I added
over the tissue wrap???

I got this result...


this started the same way...
the tissue wrap was added to the art part base with the Glue Art runner...

then I used Ranger's craft scrapper to apply an uneven thin coat of gesso over the tissue wrap...

dried it...

and again added broken china & frayed burlap distress stains...
and dried them...


then I used the blending tool to add shading to the edges with walnut stain...

the text still shows & the dots do too...


that's as much as I can show...
this background is going to be the starting point for a CHA project...

tissue wrap is FUN stuff!

***news flash***

save the date!

next week Ranger's blog will be all about
THE GREAT pumpkin challenge...

several of us were sent a pumpkin to alter...

here a peek @ mine...



oops wrong photo...
that's the BEFORE...

so sorry...
lol!!!

so save the date & plan to be inspired next week...
I *think* it will be great fun...

and speaking of fun...
I have a few more ideas to try with the wrap...

it's GREAT for covering large art parts...
next, I'll use it on the sweetheart frame...

there are some other *things* I NEED to try...

this stuff has a MILLION possibilities...
I hope you're inspired to play...

it's a rainy UGLY day AGAIN...
but I don't care...

I'm headed to the studio to...

make art!
wendy

22 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Such a cool technique! Need me some of that tissue wrap now! Thank you for sharing x

Gail Bales said...

Wow Wendy! You never cease to amaze me. Love the tissue wrap background with the dots. So cool. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what you do with the pumpkin.
Gail in Oklahoma

Jan Hoefler said...

I absolutely LOVE the feel of the Tissue wrap! It's 'almost' like a GIANT roll of tissue tape, but different kwim?
It's great how you turn something so basic into WOW!

melissa said...

I love, love, love your little man! I am always amazed by your creativity Wendy! The tissue technique looks so easy and makes me want to give it a try.

Hels Sheridan said...

oh cor blimey and THRICE Wendy, you have done it again... FAB FAB FAB FAB indeedily... can't wait til CHA to see all your samples... oh and the pumpkin... exciting... Thanks for Sharing... hugs xx

Cim Allen said...

What a cool technique .. your mind must be a fun place :) LOL You always amaze me with cool ideas that after I see I'm like "why didn't I think of that" :) have a great day Wendy !

sue said...

Wendy I know I have said this before I love the way you think. Never inside the box. Thanks again for the idea.

Nancy D. said...

Very cool don't you just love it when you unexpected happy results!!!

Netrix said...

You naughty girl for making such a magnificent discovery, you know what I just HAVE to get now??? The tissue! Thanks for enabling me xx

Anonymous said...

What a neat trick! Instant backgrounds. I can't wait to see the pumpkins.

SusanK said...

How fun is this!?!?? Can't wait to see your pumpkin..when I saw your name on the Ranger list I did the happy dance. Do I HAVE to wait until next week for the reveal????

Art By Wanda said...

Very cool technique!!! and I love the guy dipping the pen nib!!! Looking forward to all the pumpkins!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I love the tissue wrap too, and never even thought about anything being behind it for added depth...so cool Wendy! You are too clever!!!

Debby said...

Cool technique. Thanks for sharing that with us. Can't wait to see the pumpkin!

Noreen said...

That's a great discovery! Thanks for passing it on.

Cher said...

mmm...I like this tooo....so glad you discovered it for me LOL....would have taken me a lifetime Im sure...no time to play at the moment, but tucking this idea away for sure xo

Anonymous said...

Very cool, Wendy! I love that tissue paper too, and the fact that it comes in a roll makes it so easy to use. I've mainly used it to decorate journal covers, but will give your technique a try this week.
Thanks for sharing!

Helen said...

Hmmm, thought I left a comment yesterday - must have messed up! Love this technique - now I have got to get some of this tissue paper... lol!!

Tara C. said...

Ha ha!! I've missed your creative ideas!!! Looks like all your hard work has paid off and the stamp and art part ideas are off to the boss for approval!!! Can't wait to see them and more creative ideas!!!

Becky said...

As always you leave me stunned with your creativeness. So add that to the already ridiculously loooong list of stuff I NEED!

Dorothy said...

Wow...the things you come up with are amazing!!

Lori said...

Very cool tech with the tissue wrap! Love that idea...so darned creative!