here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, November 4, 2011

playing with jenni bowlin & studio 490...

well...I didn't actually get to play WITH jenni...

she lives in Tennessee & I'm in Illinois...

but I DID combine some of her cool products with mine & I made her this little "thank you" gift...

I started with an art parts rectangle frame base...
art parts make a nice sturdy base...


and stamped with the old standby screen background...


and dotted with the BLACK Sakura glaze pen...
MUCH easier than adding mini rhinestones...
the dots dry a bit raised & add the perfect little detail...


the photo below shows a cool discovery...

I heated her black doily flowers & was able to shape them & make them dimensional...
they are flat right out of the package...

but easily made dimensional, with a little heat...

I LOVED the look...black flowers...
I'm in heaven!

they also come in a great red (thinking holiday cards!)...
they could easily be a poinsettia center for my poinsettia stamp......

& an off white, which can easily be altered with alcohol inks...
for a million color possibilities...

the weathered wood flower is jenni paper over my clearly for art...
I adhered the paper to the CFA with Ranger's Glue N Seal...
matte finish...

the flower center is a jenni decorative brad...


and here's a portion of the doily flower peeking out & used flat...


I'll be back next week with a guest designer & a very fun HOLIDAY project...
it's something quick & easy that will make a great hostess gift...

that's it for today...

remember...

take some time this weekend to...

make art!
wendy

18 comments:

Elaine A said...

Wendy -

I love how you play. Just gorgeous! Great color combinations too!!

Elaine Allen

Cim Allen said...

I love it ! The black flower is so cool .. inspring as always. Happy Friday Wendy !

Debby said...

That is a wonderful project. Hope to make some art later.

slbt17 said...

love what you did with the doily - leave it to Wendy to explore - Jenny is going to love it!
Sandra ltb

Helen said...

Loving today's art - wicked fun! Have a great weekend, Wendy (and Rick)

Sharon said...

Just a safety note...when heating any plastic ALWAYS DO IT IN A WELL-VENTILATED ROOM! It might even be better to do it outside unless you know that the plastic has been designed to be heated. Life is short enough...if one is going to make art...please make it safely. Plastics always have some monomer left behind...the better the plastic, the less. But I doubt "craft plastic" should be assumed to fall into the "better" category. With heat, one gets chemistry, and only God knows what you're making. There is a reason people don't make it to their doors during a house fire...it's all of the plastics burning and generating toxic fumes that stop them before they get outside. Granted, you're not heating(or deliberately burning) that amount of plastic...but you may be generating toxic fumes. And even a small amount, repeated over a long time, can have serious side effects on the human body. So, treat these chemicals with the respect that they deserve. And that includes not ingesting food or drink while you're crafting. I know that's not always possible, but try to do it more often than not. Better if you can do that elsewhere. All the word "non-toxic" means is that we don't know of any bad side effects from the material at this time. So, just use a little caution. And why can I say all of these things? Past chemist and chemistry teacher.

Wendy Jo Avey said...

This is a very cool holiday gift idea. I'm dreaming of a handmade Christmas. What can I say? My friends and family wouldn't expect it any other way!

SusanK said...

What a lovely thank you gift! And a quickie gift idea up next? Can't wait!

sue said...

Very cute, thanks for the tips.

Dorothy said...

Very very cool!!
I am gonna play this weekend!!

Sharon said...

So awesome - love this!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Oh, how lovely!

Cher said...

oh too dang cute...as usual lol..luving that head of yours even more...

Vic said...

Wow, how sweet! TFS the deets!

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

oh my gosh - that is soooo nice - love the heat idea on the doily flower!

Art By Wanda said...

Wonderful piece!!!! I'm going to have to check out those flowers!!!

hobbemom said...

I love Jenni Bowlin and what you did with her productsd is just wonderful. Love that plastic flower and the look it gave...how neat...Love your ART...

Louise

Lori said...

Very cool piece! Great combo of Wendy and Jenny...hey, I think that rhymes. lol. Love the black flower!