here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

this was fun!

This is NOT what I set out to do...

Rick asked if grungepaper tears...

So as I showed him (lucky guy got a private demo!)...
I tore a circle....almost...

Hmmm...looked to me like the beginning of a flower...
then I tore another circle...

and a third smaller...

See where this is going?

FATE!

and here's the result...


Grab these supplies to make this quick flower...

*grungepaper
*inkssentials non stick craft sheet
* distress inks...broken china, brushed corduroy & peeled paint
*inkssentials blending tool, with blending foam
* jet black archival ink for stamping
*adhesive
*idea-ology snaps
*grungeboard scraps
*black glaze pen, Sakura
*vintage button or 2
*pencil

These studio 490 stamps...
*screen background from the "art rules" set
*gingham background from the "natures art" set
*bingo background from the "
life & art" set
*leaves from the flower on "all about art" set
*stem from "funky flower art" set

Quickie instructions...
* lightly trace 3 concentric circles on the grungepaper, with a pencil.
trace 3 circles from punches...
or I used a glass, a vase & a spice jar...
VERY technical! not!!

*make a tiny slit & start tearing the grungepaper, following the circle outline...remember...art doesn't have to be perfect!
these circles won't be!

*use the blending tool & ink the front & backs of the smallest & large with broken china

*the middle size with brushed corduroy.

*using jet black archival ink...
stamp the front & back of the smallest with the bingo background stamp

stamp the middle with the gingham

stamp the largest with the screen stamp

*form the flower by rolling the edges...
MAGICALLY..they stay in place!

*assemble the flower, using scraps of grungeboard between the layers to add dimension

* stack 2 buttons for the center & add the snap

* stamp the stem & the leaves on grungepaper scraps using the jet black archival, then ink the front & back with peeled paint, using the blending tool.

* using jet black archival, stamp the leaves with the screen stamp and the back of the stem with the screen stamp also.

* glue the stem to the back of the flower & glue the leaves in place.

* curl the leaves & the stem

*add glaze pen dots on the button & around the flower center

* the snap is the finishing touch!

Like I said...flower fate!

and just another way to...

make art!
wendy

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! Now I know what I'll be playing with tonight...

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

And why not? I love flowers, too. This is great.

Lisa Pace said...

This is gorgeous. Love Love Love it!

Scrapthat said...

Oh great! LOL just another reason for me to want to get my hands on grunge paper! :)

Sherry Goodloe said...

Grunge paper - check
distress inks - check
background stamps - check
grungeboard scraps - check
jet black archival ink - check
gotta head out to work in a couple of hours - urrrrgh, check
making flowers inbetween working today - big CHECK!! *smiles*

Thanks for sharing your technique Wendy!

Lori said...

Amazing, simply amazing! I can't wait till the cruise! I expect to be cranking out flowers left and right! So, Rick is now a member of the design team? LOL

Anonymous said...

I love it! I made some flowers with this technique using plain old paper, (didn't want to spend $ on Primas, lol), and love how they came out, but grungepaper....oh, can't wait to play with this idea!
And I'm going on the cruise!!!!
Eileen in NYC

Daisy said...

OOH...don't love it when things like this happen. Serendipity. I can't wait to try this out.

Alisa said...

Oh this is wonderful. I know what I am doing this weekend!

Linda M. Cain said...

Amazing how those guys can pick up neat ideas like that for us. They really do have a greater grasp of this stuff sometimes than we realise..Great job you two!!!! LOVE IT!

Linda

Tracey said...

This is beautiful. I have always wanted to make flowers like this.

Chirpin Is Fun said...

Beautiful! Love how this turned out...wish I was home to play!

Art By Wanda said...

Love the new flower, Wendi!!! and what's better than tearing paper :-))

D's Paper Studio said...

I never cease to learn something new here Wendy. thanks

KAT said...

Wendy this is beautiful - I've would have never thought of it... I'll have to give it a try!

D's Paper Studio said...

Oh, I saw this in person today and it was more beautiful that even the photo.

lesleyworth said...

Wendy, I had such a great time in your Funky Flower class today in Columbia! Great class! You made it so much fun! I came home with so many ideas...definitely got my scrap-mojo going!

Lynne Forsythe said...

LOVE...LOVE....LOVE!!! Beat me to it on that one!!! Great Job!!

inspired2create said...

awesome,thanks for the tips. Had a play with grunge paper yesterday, cut out flower layers on the Cricut Machine using Multi Cut then stamped and glimmer misted. Love the results, check out a pic on my blog.

www.inspired2scrap.typepad.com

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Wendy, Thank you for the tutorial, love the way you write them! First time I have played with the grungepaper in spite of having it weeks! You inspire!
Jennie x