here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Sunday, August 9, 2009

pigments and pearls...part 1

As promised...
I have a fun new technique to share...
it's another way to use Ranger's pigment inks...
to achieve a totally different look.

If you've not used the pigment inks before, they are a fast drying pigment ink that provide opaque coverage very easily.

Here's sailboat blue tapped onto a Maya Road chipboard number...

The ink would have dried in about 15 minutes, but I dried it with the heat tool, since I am not patient...



As you can see here...it's the perfect base for stamping...
Sailboat is a nice vibrant blue...and you'll see sailboat blue in the tag it's sitting on...like I said...it's a whole different look!


So...on to the tutorial...

But first...
I have to tell you that this technique is a take off of Tim's wrinkle free distress technique.
It's just one of the techniques I learned @ Ranger U...

Tim uses distress ink and water...it's an awesome look!

I had an idea to try the pigment inks and add perfect pearls, to create a cloudy...shimmery background.
I really wasn't sure that it would work...but I thought it was worth a try.

Since the distress inks are transparent...and the pigment inks are opaque...you'll see that the look is really different.

Here's the supplies you'll need to play along...

The Ranger inkssentials craft sheet

The Heat it tool...FINALLY!! It's back in stock & even better than before! eclecticPaperie has ordered it...should be here soon!

A mini mister

some perfect pearls...I chose perfect gold for these samples

a kraft stick

a manila tag

2 colors of Ranger's pigment inks

First, get your shimmer spray mixed & ready...

Dip the kraft stick into the perfect pearls & drop a tiny bit (whatever stays on the end) into a mini mister.
Fill with water to the last "r" in Ranger & shake to mix.

For the first sample I used butterscotch & denim.



Lightly tap the pads directly onto the craft sheet...
to look like this.


Now mist the inked area with the perfect pearls mixture, to create beads of color.

It should look like this.
Take note of the lower left hand corner...the colors have already started to mix...I LIKE it!



Lay a tag over the inked area & swipe your hand over the tag to apply the base coat of color.

DO NOT drag the tag thru the ink...
it's makes mud...
TRUST ME!

Dry the tag & it will look like this...


Now on the craft sheet you'll see these beads of color.
The perfect pearls are all around the outside of the beads...
and the colors have mixed...
interesting!



Lightly tap the tag onto the craft sheet to pick up the color.
Dry & repeat until you get a look you like.

Make sure to DRY between adding layers of color.


STOP when you like it...
TRUST ME...stop so you don't kill it!

Here's mine...
I love how the 2 inks combined to make some way cool colors...
The perfect pearls add just the right amount of shimmer...
the layers add depth and interest to the background.



The next sample is sailboat blue (same color as I used for the chipboard above) and bottle pigment ink...
misted again with perfect gold perfect pearls.

I put too much sailboat on the sheet, so I just wiped some away with my finger.
The nice thing about pigments it that they don't stain your fingers...



Here's the result...done the same way.
Sure makes that sailboat look a whole lot different. AGREE?


Next I used red pepper and lettuce pigment inks...
along with the perfect gold Perfect Pearls.



Keep in mind that once the Perfect Pearls are mixed with water, they're set.
No special sprays or fixatives are needed.
The shimmer won't rub off.


Here's my last color combo...eggplant & denim.
It's much prettier than this photo shows...
another TRUST ME!

Actually...the tags all look MUCH better in person!

The shimmer is very subtle...vintage...but elegant.



So if you've been playing along, we have some awesome backgrounds.
What can we do with them?
What are the options?
I have some ideas to share...
Coming soon to a blog near you...
pigments and pearls part 2.
Stay tuned...
I hope you're inspired to get out your inks & play and then...
make art!
wendy
ps...just wait 'til you see the background with espresso & black pigments...
BLACK? Who would have thought?
REALLY?
I tried that just for the heck of it & I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
The Perfect Pearls are the key...

19 comments:

Daisy said...

Off to play. Thanks for the details photos and inspiration!

michelle said...

Great thanks so much now if I could only find time to play.

Unknown said...

It is bedtime here in the UK ... but have no fear I will be back tomorrow to try this one out :0)

Dianal said...

Love this effect Wendy, going to buy some of the pigment inks .... and then it will be time to "make art" ... thanks for sharing!!!

Altered States of Mind said...

Thanks for the lessons! It's so good of you to share. I enjoyed Stampaway this weekend and loved seeing all of your stamps and samples at the SA booth! I loved your attention to every detail! LOVED the snaps on some of the samples! Got to get me some of those!
kybarb

Unknown said...

Awesome! I really need some playtime:D

Sharon Margiotta said...

Niiice!! Very nice! that little shimmer makes all the difference!

Von said...

I've cone this with the distress inks and will now have to try with the pigment though I'm limited with choice of colours so will be interesting :)
Von UK

Art By Wanda said...

Thanks for the tutorial!! Will really have to try this... it would be fabulous with the rose I've made from tutorial that is sitting here waiting to be a part of something :-))

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful backgrounds and thanks for sharing. I played with the black alcohol ink with the gold and it is really striking, so can image how your espresso and black will look. Anesha

Diana E. said...

Love the backgrounds and I want to play, but I'm leaving for a few days will this tutorial still be here in a week? Oh me, sometimes it doesn't pay to be gone ! Help and thanks for sharing !!!

Shelly Hickox said...

Ooooh, what a great twist on the wrinkle free distress tech! I can't wait to try this one. Thanks for the tutorial!!

Debby said...

Really cool look. Will have to try that. I really like the gold pearls. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial- I HAVE to get that craft sheet!! Then I will be ready to play- thanks for the great tips too!

Melissa

Evelyn S. said...

I love your tutorials, Wendy. Although I don't have any Adirondack pigment inks, I had to try the technique immediately. I do have a very old stash of inks that I never use...until today. Thanks for the tutorial!

http://tiny.cc/l6UYo

Tona said...

Thanks for the inspiration!

Melissa S. said...

I love this smoosh and lift technique, I use it all the time. I just have one of the clear plastic food cutting mats to use and not a craft mat yet. Hey it works. So does the shiney side of freezer paper. These are some great color combos that you have here. TRhanks so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! I placed an order with Ranger Ink and after seeing your tutorial I just CANNOT wait to receive it so I can play and show customers what they can do with the Pearls!!!

Thank you for sharing. Very beautiful.

CK Chai said...

wow, this is so cool! Would definitely want to try out this technique!