here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

pigments and pearls...part 2

HEY...
What happened to Monday?

YIKES...I planned to post yesterday...
but...

it didn't happen...

So...today...part 2...pigments & pearls...

Who ever would have thought that dark yummy espresso pigment ink would look like this?

It's mixed with sunflower sparkle Perfect Pearls...


You can see the shimmer better here...

I used a more than normal amount water/Perfect Pearls to dilute the ink & lighten the effect...


And here is espresso...but more ink this time & it's mixed with a tiny bit of pitch black pigment...

Again it's watered down...and misted with sunflower sparkle Perfect Pearls.



and a side shot...




The original tags are in the previous post here...
and...

here's what they look like now...
after a little stamping...

This is the red pepper/lettuce tag.

I like to choose one of my background colors & use that to stamp a background. The pigments are great for stamping too...

The grid is stamped in red pepper pigment.


This is the denim/butterscotch tag from the previous post...

The script stamp was inked with butterscotch.



I think if you click on the photos to make them larger, you'll see the shimmer better.


This is another demin/butterscotch tag...

this time I used the denim to stamp the polka dot background.

You can see that by using a background color for the background stamp, it makes your main image POP...when it's stamped in black.
It also adds another layer to the background, which gives it more depth & interest.

Here's a tip for making perfectly coordinated custom embellishments....
*
Make 2 tags, using the same pigment colors.
They won't look the same, but they'll work together well...
*
Use one for the background and use the second to make embellishments.
*
Here I stamped the flower on the back of the second tag & cut it out...A perfect match!

This is the bottle/sailboat blue tag from the last post.


Pigments and pearls part 3 coming tomorrow...
We'll add some distress ink to the background!
*
If you had time to try this technique...
let me know how you liked it!
*
Did you...
make art?
wendy
ps...it wasn't an earthquake yesterday, it was me doing the HAPPY DANCE!
Thank you SOMERSET...!!!
They all look...AWESOME!!!
We HAD to have a mojito to celebrate!
But...
That's a story for another day!

13 comments:

Lori said...

What great tips! That's the kind of advice I need! That looks awesome!

Alisa said...

Thanks so much Wendy. I did play a little bit yesterday. I going to try black with coffee today. We will see.

slbt17 said...

thanks for sharing Wendy - your work is as beautiful as ever!
Sandra

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

These are fabulous!

Debby said...

Really cool effects. Now I have to get some of that pigment ink. Cool cool stuff!

Kim said...

Wendy--

The tags are just gorgeous--guess maybe I require these Adirondack pigment pads??? What inquiring minds really want to know though--any book updates??!??!! Can't wait to get my hands on it!!

Thanks for all the inspiration--
Kim in Cincy

Dianal said...

These tags are are downright gorgeous .... love the pigment ink and perfect pearls technique ... gong to have to get some of the pigment inks for sure!!!!

mamakat said...

WOW!!! I have so many ideas dancing through my head on how and where I want to use this technique that I can hardly type. Can't wait to see MORE!!!

Scrapthat said...

Love your tutorial...but really...I am having a hard enough time getting all the distress inks and now you have me hooked on the pigments?? Man alive girl...between you and T!m your gonna drive me insane or to the poor house!LOL

CK Chai said...

Awesome tutorial, love forward to part3 of it!

Judy Hayes said...

Great technique, Wendy! I especially love the finished tags with your stamping & flowers!
I saw your work in my issue of Somerset Studio. WTG! Awesome!
Smiles :)
-judy

Art By Wanda said...

Wendy, I'm lovin these tutorials!! I did try the technique and posted a tag to my blog... also used the new Rock Candy from my prize!!! Thanks again :-)) I've tried to email the EverythingWendyVecchi group but they are not going through... sent a private message to Allie this morning so she would know.

Unknown said...

Wendy, I LOVE these technique tutorials you are doing! THANK YOU! I started a piggy bank JUST for my Wendy and Ranger purchases at the One of a Kind Scrapbooking event in Madison this November:)