here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Friday, August 14, 2009

Ranger designer challenge in SOMERSET!



This made me yell...

YIPPEE!!

The September/October issue of Somerset arrived the other day & I quickly flipped thru after I ripped open the package.

I had completely forgotten about this...

Ranger challenged some designers to create a house for their CHA winter 09 booth display.


We were each given the same ingredients & we were asked to make the house in OUR style.


Our supplies were a 8 1/2 x 11 paper mache rectangle, a piece of chipboard and Claudine's sticky back canvas, multi medium and her cool studio paints.


The results were absolutely amazing & so different.

You'd never know that the basic ingredients were the same for each.

YIPPEE...it made Somerset!!


Here is tim's creation...totally awesome, just as you would expect!



And Claudine's is so whimsical...

that it just HAS to make you smile.


There are 5 other houses in the article...

they were done by Bernie Berlin ( a tribute to A PLACE TO BARK), Debbie Tlach...(hers is a LIT halloween haunted house, INCREDIBLE)
Jane Wynn, Amy Powers and Carla Sonheim.
Here's a photo of just a portion of the Ranger display.
I think there were about 25 or 30 houses??



The photography is great.

THANK YOU RANGER & SOMERSET!!

That was fun...

NOW...
Back to the questions...

I got this one twice yesterday...


Hi Wendy,
Love your grundgepaper flowers. I was wondering how you get the colors so vibrant. The grey seems to make mine very subdued. We need white grundgepaper!!


Reinking your distress pads is KEY. The other thing I do is I rub the blending tool into the pad instead of tapping it on the pad.

This puts more ink on the foam and makes it quicker & easier to ink the grunge.

You know me...I have NO patience...at all...

And there were 2 emails about not being able to find the replacement foam pads for blending tools.

I checked & found them here.

Thanks for your comments & emails about no facebooking & no twittering...
I'm happy to know I'm not alone...

That's it for today...
you know the drill...
make art! ...and have a GREAT weekend!
(GO BEARS!)
wendy

15 comments:

Unknown said...

What inspiration! Fabulous work ... I shall look out for that issue ... BTW I like yours the bestest :0)

scrappin-scrappin said...

Love your house you did! How awesome they were published in Somerset! Very cool!

carpediem said...

Congrats on being published in Somerset!! Your house is wonderful...just love it!! What an awesome range of styles and creativity in the houses!

Allie Gower said...

Of course you got published! I love your house - what a great idea. I have some doodlebug houses I could cover.

I'm so inspired - and so out of time!

Have a great day basking in your success.

Anita Van Hal said...

OMG! Congrats on being published! Can't wait to get my issue! All the houses are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Art By Wanda said...

Wendy, your house is awesome!!! I got my SS yesterday too but haven't had a chance to look at it. I'll have to take it with me as I travel this weekend.

Debby said...

OOOhhh! Maybe my Somerset will come today. I need to save it though since I need something to read next week when we go to St. Louis to take DD to college. Love the houses and glad to see you all getting recognition. I guess I will need to invest in the reinkers. That is key. Glad to see you are a Bears fan!!

slbt17 said...

you are amazing! Love it - thanks for sharing and the inspiration!
Sandra

Unknown said...

Absolutely fabulous. I am going to try to make one. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work. I love to use it as inspiration. My house is full of little houses, so this is perfect.

Your BFF Terry

Unknown said...

Wendy- Congratulations on your publication! Your house is so cute.
Thanks for sharing your projects- they have really inspired me with my own "works in progress". As for Facebook - It's usually just TMI- to much information. You are better off not knowing! :)
melissa

Miss Iowa said...

Love the houses! Can't wait to see the magazine in person.

Artistgirl's Muse said...

Hi Wendy! I LOVE your house! This challenge was so much fun! All the Ranger girls would gather around each day when the FedEx delivery came. As we opened the house submissions we would ohhh and ahhh like it was Christmas! Thanks for your kind words about my Haunted House. With all the wonderful houses we make a pretty great neighborhood!
Debbie

Dylan said...

whey hey girlie. Look at you..!! published in the great S/S. You deserve everything you are enjoying at the moment and more. Luv ya loads. xxx

Dianal said...

Congratultions on being published ... your house is absolutely wonderful .... keep making art so you can inspire the rest of us!!!

KAT said...

Wendy - love you house and I like how you incorporated Tim's Rainman into the piece... So those flowers are from sticky back canvas instead of grunge???