here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

pigments & pearls...part 3

Ok...here we go with part 3.

When I posted the tag below...I knew it looked UGLY & wondered if anyone would comment.
Nope...no one did...
except Rick...

He said...I'm not sure that's your best work...
ha!
nice & POLITICALLY correct.
He wants to live here peacefully!

ANYWAY...

It wasn't as cool as the others...
but I had a PLAN...



Remember this?

STARK looking?
Too much contrast??

Let's fix that!


By applying brushed corduroy distress ink over the entire tag, it now looks like this.

What's amazing, but hard to photo, is that the Perfect Pearls still come to the top...

Same tag...looks much better...
agree?

Now it will be a great background for stamping...





Here's another fun combo...
this is butterscotch and terra cotta pigments, misted with sunflower sparkle Perfect Pearls.



I like it as is...
but then I may go over the whole tag with scattered straw, to tone it down a bit?
or not?


This is the eggplant and denim tag in it's original state...


And here's the result, after I added scattered straw over the entire tag...
and just a bit of brushed corduroy over that.


Since I started out with eggplant & denim pigment inks for the background, I stamped the numbers border with eggplant.


Now stamping my main image (stems/leaves/scrolls) in black, makes it pop to the front & puts the numbers more in the background.

More layers...more interest.

To make the grungepaper flowers...
I inked a scrap of grungepaper with eggplant, by just tapping the pad right onto the grungepaper...dried it & then stamped the flowers.

Remember that the pigments are opaque, so the eggplant OVER the stamping would have covered my image...


Make sense?





I think I'll make a mini butterfly for the top right, and add some rock candy stickles to finish it off.
***

That's the end of the pigments & pearls story...

Oh wait one more thing...
***

The moral of the story is do not trash any tag...
just go over it with a distress ink color to change the look, tone it down or spice it up a bit.
The inks all work together very well...
***

Book update...
NO...I haven't forgotten you guys.


I spoke with Ted last Thursday & the book was scheduled to go to the printer on Monday....like in 2 days AGO...YIPPEE!


So...I'm HOPING...with my fingers crossed, to have the copies here early next week.

Are you reading Ted?
HURRY please!
***

And Y'ALL...get ready in Waco Texas...
I'm headed there a week from Friday...
to teach @ Crop Paper Scissors.


Emmalie has chosen 4 fun classes...for Y'ALL...(I'm just practicing!)
***


We're doing the Ranger technique class, a Maya Road mini book that's loaded with flowers, inks & stamps...it's 6 hours of FUN!
a mini Maya Road hanging and the finale is...

the BUILD A BETTER BIRD CLASS...
I LOVE IT!


Hope to see Y'ALL there!
***

Now since I have lots of supplies that need to be packed & shipped...


you guys will have to be the ones to...


make art!
wendy

13 comments:

Unknown said...

STARK looking? That's our name...I always use similar analogies when someone doesn't quite get our last name.....however simple it is! The finished product looks great!

I'm awaiting a few of your stamp sets, anxiously looking forward to them. I tried the "rose" using a sizzix die in the meantime, and it wasn't the right shape. I think I still like the flower, being my first, I'll keep it. In what direction did you roll the two smallest sections, and.....did you use hot glue?

Debby said...

Really cool to know how you fix things. There are no mistakes as you can always cover them. But I like how you added the distress inks over the pigments. Really cool. Now I have to find the time to make some art.

Unknown said...

I am not sure Rick knows what he is talking about ... come live with me ... you can make art and I can watch :0)

Changing the subject completely I have a debate going with a couple of friends that possibly only you can clear up ... Is it pronounced May-a Road or My-a Road and Is it Vecky or Veshy ... or something else entirely?

Katrina said...

Ugly...I think not...It evoked the tuxedo in me.Gold, chocolate and ivory, My mind was running with it! Thank you for the inspiration.

mamakat said...

I was thinking of a sort of Japanese flair on your first tag. You know sort of Mt. Fuji in the background, brushed trees to the fore...but the distress ink over the top. Love the eggplant example ie background, mid and foreground. Even if the PP didn't give as dramatic effect in the photos the lesson was good.
Thanks Wendy!

ScrappyPam said...

I didn't say anything about your tag because I liked it! Your "revised" tag looks great too!

Evelyn S. said...

How do you apply the Distress Inks? DTP...?? Sponge??

Thanks.

Lisa Pace said...

I am so going to do my best to get to Waco to see you. I can't wait... I will be your TA if you need one. Hugs and have a safe trip.

Suze said...

R U kidding? Nothing you make is "stark" looking. It was way cool and you just made it way cooler...like the way you make everything look when you're done.
You know my favorite saying....LEAP, and the net will appear !
xxxooo

Art By Wanda said...

Well I like the tag before and I like it after... but it is good to have options :-)) Thanks so much for all of this!!!!

Linda M. Cain said...

Personally I like them both!

great backgrounds...

Linda

Lynna said...

I always have backgrounds that didn't turn out right. I throw them in a drawer of stuff and later sometimes I pull them out and see if they will work with another project. Sometimes I just wished that I could remember what I did to create it in the first place! LOL

Can't wait for the book!

Scrapthat said...

Oh man...you improved on your "perfection"?? It looks SUPER cool with the distress on it...kinda like a natural marble...Fabulous BG!!
TFS and keep playing (when you have time) so we can keep being inspired!