here's how I got started...

here's how I got started...
a 20 minute podcast by Crazy BeYOUtiful

Sunday, March 1, 2009

inspired by tim..........

Surprise...

a Sunday post...

hey...ANYTHING to keep me from the "ugly job" list...
working on taxes & writing instructions.

I LOVE to teach, but hate writing the instructions.
I'm MUCH rather have inky fingers..

Today's art was totally inspired by tim's new video.

He demoed this new technique @ CHA...using alcohol inks & canned air.

I watched the video & HAD to grab that air can...immediately!

tim does the technique on Ranger's glossy paper & it's very cool.

However, I like to take the technique & make it my own...but always give credit for the inspiration...

Here's my version of the technique, using the largest fragment, instead of the glossy paper.




I did the exact same technique...dripped the alcohol ink on the top of the fragement, then blasted it with the air.
I must say...

It was a BLAST...HA!

hey...I HAD to say it. It was a perfect fit...

Here's a shot of the blue, which is a great new color...
Sailboat blue.
There's also lettuce and a bit of denim.



I used a printed white paper, with a script on it...to make the colors pop. It was easy to edge the fragment with an Adirondack silver dabber.

I liked the look...but it just wasn't ME...

So... I grabbed the pesto & latte...dripped it on the fragment & blasted the air.



Now the cool thing about the alcohol ink/fragment combo...is that you can easily create dimension by stamping on the BACK of the fragment.

I used a studio 490 background stamp and Jet Black Archival Ink, by Ranger.

The alcohol ink is transparent, so the stamping shows up perfectly. It adds another layer & definitely makes a difference.

And no project is complete without a flower...no surprise there.

I hope this photo shows you that the stamping is under the alcohol ink.


I edged this fragment with the gold dabber...couldn't be easier...
I used a kraft colored background paper to give it more of a vintage look. Just a few dots, using the glaze pen finished it off.

Ah........this looks like me now!



One other thing to remember when using fragments and alcohol ink...

If you don't like your creation...if your stamping isn't perfect...
alcohol blending solution removes everything and you can start over.


So...hop on over & watch the video...

Like I said...it's a BLAST to...

MAKE ART!
wendy

ps...I'd love to see your "take" on this technique...send photos or a blog link...

another ps...
forget the taxes...I have some Maya Road acrylic albums that are BLANK...

taxes tomorrow...unless I watch another video.

12 comments:

Sherry Cheever said...

Absolutely FABULOUS! I must go watch the videos. Your work is GORGEOUS!

Karen Lambert said...

I love what you did with the "new" technique. I will be coloring fragments with canned air and AI.
Thanks for the inspiration.

D's Paper Studio said...

Great great. I can't wait to try. This would be neat with fragment jewlry.

2amscrapper said...

Wendy, thanks to you and your workshops, I actually have most of this stuff in my stash. I better go make art.

PisforPaper said...

These are fantastic!!!

kngwd89 said...

Wow! Both of your examples are so cool! But your second example...the one that is YOU is fantastic and has taken the technique up at least 3 or more levels! Thanks for posting such an inspirational piece of art as well as helpful hints for when we try it on our own! Can't wait to get my canned air! LeAnn

JEL said...

Wendy your work is beautiful I watched Tims videos and am just waiting on getting some canned air so I can play. Thanks for sharing your creations.

Lynne Forsythe said...

The first fragment was nice...the second BEAUTIFUL!!! Love the technique...now to dig around and see if I have any fragmente or acrylic or something to work on!!
Will return with sample!!

Art By Wanda said...

These are fabulous!!! Love your blog!!

Laura Vigliarolo said...

beautiful now I need to go get me some canned air, I wonder if that will work on tumbled tile??????

Keri Lee Sereika said...

Mmm this is great Wendy! I too loved Tim's latest tech video! Sure makes it alot easier than blowing it all over the place and getting light headed! LOL Whodathunk...canned air....and all this time....HAHAHAHA

petrasart said...

I looked the video...yes! And I will wait for the summer, then I make it in the garden *lol* Your second card is wonderful!!! I love the flower, the colours...all of it...great!!!